The effects of Jade missing out the stop in Tunis

old nutter

Question: Does that mean that with the 18% manditory gratuity, a trip to the spa would cost an additional 40% on top of the service charge?

The OP mentioned goods purchased in the "spa shop". I believe they sell nard and myrrh and other unguents… It could be that the spa services themselves are not subject to VAT — maybe old nutter can confirm/correct.

According to all of the information I have seen, the Spa shop has to charge VAT for actual physical products that they sell on closed loop cruises, but the treatment and service charges do not attract VAT on any cruises. I can only assume that the relevant governments must think the charges are already outrageous enough :D

The Epic European cruises (apart from the TAs) currently planned are all closed loops so will be charging VAT at either the 22% Italy or 21% Spain depending whether they start from Barcelona or Civitavecchia. Could get a bit complicated for back-to-backs with one of them starting from the other country because the rate will change in the middle for those on both cruises.

Interestingly, probably the only non-EU country apart from Turkey plus, the ones in Africa and the Middle East is Montenegro. Since Kotor is arguably the most attractive port in the whole Mediterranean area, we could find a lot more cruises heading there in the future - I really do hope so. I don't think it could handle the Epic, but any of the NCL mid-sized ships could certainly call there. Whilst the sail-out from Kotor is not quite in the same league as Venice (not available to the Epic any more of course any way) the fact that it is the most southerly fjord in mainland Europe makes the hour or so cruising back out to the Adriatic from Kotor one that is not to missed and should be on every European bucket list as far as I am concerned. Add that to the fact that Montenegro is currently in the bizarre position of being the only non-EU country using the Euro as it's national currency so no need for any other money changing. Because Montenegro was too small to have it's own currency, it opted to tie itself to the German Mark when it became independent and obviously then took the Euro when that took over in Germany. Told you Europe was complicated;)

Edited by old nutter
spelling mistakes

• 2 weeks later...