How far out do you book?

kelkel2

For your cruises? I really want an aft facing balcony. I know, I know. The most popular it seems, and also theres less to choose from than any other category unless you want to upgrade to a suite or a premium balcony. I really don't want to. But I want to do an Eastern or a southern Caribbean because I'm so incredibly tired of western after doing it 3 times. There's only only so many times one can go to Cozumel... But The prices for eastern are already high for that route and we really like to go in January because it's not so hot and there's not a million kids/the spring break crowd. And looking at Jan 2015 there's hardly any aft facing cabins left. So how far out do I need to book these?? I haven't even asked for time off yet from my boss and don't even know if I can get it so I can't book anything today anyways so it's really a losing battle. I was just really curious how early I need to book to get a good selection of these cabins.

If you know you are going to cruise in the future, book it as early as you decide this. Up until last year, we would book about 6-7 months in advance, but I am not a balcony person so, inside cabins are rather easy to get. However, with the OBC available by booking will on a cruise, I have booked a year in advance. With that said, the reposition of the Pride from Tampa to Baltimore, I have now booked one 14 months in advance, and am glad I did. I got a really good ES price and the current price is 340/person higher than when I booked.

So, the decision on when to book is when you know you will be taking a cruise for a specific time or destination. What I've seen is earlier the better... plus you can then get cheaper rates if the prices fall.

Steve

I go with a large group every August and she always books for us in January because I get a balcony while they get ocean view inside etc. so that's 7 months out and it gives everyone a chance to get the time off and plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So do you guys book them before you would ask your employer? Because I'm at the point now that I will probably not go in Jan 2015 now. We're now looking at 2016. I can not possibly ask my employer. So would you book and then ask? What then if you book and then you can't go? Early saver is able to be cancelled correct? You just lose the deposit right? It's $50 or something like that?

Yeah because I teach so we are off and my hubby can always get the week because he is second in seniority for his department. I would say see what weeks are available at the job first then plan around that it's much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have booked up to 18 months or so out. I am looking at booking Alaska for summer of 2015 and am about to book because there are only 2 cabins like the aft corner that I want. I would say if there is a particular cabin you want then try to book ASAP after the itinerary opens for booking. I always book early and put my vacation on the calendar when I can. I am the head of the department though so I don't need anyone's approval for my time off. :)

Edited by Mysticks1

Thanks guys! I was just curious how everyone who has jobs does this! I want a specific cabin but can't ask for the time off until I have an idea of what it will be. But it makes me nervous to book if I don't know if employer will agree!

So do you guys book them before you would ask your employer? Because I'm at the point now that I will probably not go in Jan 2015 now. We're now looking at 2016. I can not possibly ask my employer. So would you book and then ask? What then if you book and then you can't go? Early saver is able to be cancelled correct? You just lose the deposit right? It's $50 or something like that?

It depends on the type of job you have and how they are with time off. I booked my upcoming cruise back in 2013 and just submitted my time a few weeks ago. Can't ask for time off but so early and my employer isn't fussy about when you take it so long as everyone isn't off at the same time. Especially in the Summer. I would go ahead and book it so you get the cabin you want and then submit your leave request as early as you can.

If I'm booking far in advance, I can book without asking my employer first. There's sort of a "formula" that decides how leave is approved but it's not that difficult for me. It essentially goes by seniority so as long as I'm not booking over Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's I know I can get the time off. If I wanted any of the major holidays, I would probably book a refundable rate code or wait until I knew my approval was guaranteed.

Even for trips not far in advance, I can check our staffing system to see if anyone else is already approved for leave. If not, I can go on and book without asking for approval first. Our contract states my employer must let at least two people off for annual leave per day if it's requested. If no has requested it yet, I know I'll get it. If there's 2 requests already in, I know it isn't safe to book.

I feel very grateful for the system we have in place. I know many others aren't as lucky with getting leave approvals.

Just call in sick at the last minute. It wouldn't be a lie. I am always sick of work right before a cruise. Sometimes even after.

haha I wish I could! I'm also always sick of work! Plus I'm always ready to cruise!

I usually book 12-16 months out. Or as soon as they release new itineraries that are interesting like the repositioning cruises. We're self employed here but do have certain times of the year that are not good for us to take off. Before any major holiday or mid summer cruising is generally out for us. I like that our less busy times are usually cheaper for cruising too

I usually book 12-16 months out. Or as soon as they release new itineraries that are interesting like the repositioning cruises. We're self employed here but do have certain times of the year that are not good for us to take off. Before any major holiday or mid summer cruising is generally out for us. I like that our less busy times are usually cheaper for cruising too

Are the rates generally cheaper when they are first released? Is it worth booking and then potentially having to cancel?

We always book an aft cabin, and just booked for January of 2016. The Triumph out of Galveston is doing an 11 day that ends in San Juan and then a 10 day from San Juan back to Galveston. So, B2B, 21 days.

I know it's crazy early, but the aft I wanted and the one next to it was already reserved so we took our 3rd choice.

If you book past guest you can get a refund up to the final payment date, in this case November of 2015!

I say reserve it if you want a specific cabin and then cancel if you can't get off of work. You can also change from Past Guest to Early Saver to get a lower rate about 6 months out.

Good Luck. We're retired, so it's not as difficult to plan!

If you know you are going to cruise in the future, book it as early as you decide this. Up until last year, we would book about 6-7 months in advance, but I am not a balcony person so, inside cabins are rather easy to get. However, with the OBC available by booking will on a cruise, I have booked a year in advance. With that said, the reposition of the Pride from Tampa to Baltimore, I have now booked one 14 months in advance, and am glad I did. I got a really good ES price and the current price is 340/person higher than when I booked.

So, the decision on when to book is when you know you will be taking a cruise for a specific time or destination. What I've seen is earlier the better... plus you can then get cheaper rates if the prices fall.

Steve

We're also happy with inside cabins but still book a year in advance in order to get the OBC. We booked our January 2015 B2B while on this year's B2B.

All of my cruises have been booked 14 or more months out with the Early Saver program. What I might spend in higher fares, I get back in OBC as long as I catch the change. Plus it gives me time to really plan. And by the time THAT cruise gets here, it'll be time to book and plan another for the following year ;)

Our experience in the past has definitely been the earlier you make your reservation, the better...especially if you're wanting a specific room. Only downside is you have that much more time to anticipate and wish it were time to cruise already! :p

Being you want a specific itinerary and specific limited cabin, then you have to book ahead. Of course book before you have the time officially off. Even double book if it's that important to you.

If you book regular rates, you can cancel without fees up to final payment. If you get the early saver, you loose $50pp.

We have booked 18 months out twice because we wanted the cruise and a specific room, both times the aft corner wrap balconies. We did this on the Magic in 2011 for a 12 day in Europe and have one for an eight day coming up on the Sunshine. We book early saver as others have mentioned here before and get rate drops up to full payment then OBC up until sailing.

Otherwie we do pack and go rates last minute

Good luck

We booked 9 months out because we needed two rooms in a specific configuration. Could still book less than 3 months to go, but the choices are much more limited. Book when you need to so you can get what you want - days out or months out! :)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014