Website displays Canadian $ ...pay in Canadian $?

Just mention you want it in Can $ they will do the conversion and tell you price before charging your card. It's convenient and yes saves on conversion fee later.

When I search cruises the prices come up in Canadian. (Yes, we're Canadian)

Is my credit card charged in Canadian if I book?

I hope so because it saves the 2% conversion fee on top of the currency exchange.

Anyone know????

We found it is more economical to use a US funds credit card. BMO has a no fee MC. This works better for us because you know exactly what the exchange will be.

Just booked my cruise last week charged in Canadian dollars to my credit card

AWESOME!!!!!! :D

I love seeing the price in Canadian on the screen instead of seeing it in US then figuring out what it would be with the exchange and Conversion fee!

We found it is more economical to use a US funds credit card. BMO has a no fee MC. This works better for us because you know exactly what the exchange will be.

I have a no fee cash back BMO MasterCard. I also have an annual travel policy tied to that card.

The $'s we get cash back ends up paying for that annual policy each year.

The only U.S BMO card that is available right now has a $35 yearly fee

The BMO U.S. Dollar MasterCard®* gets you:

• No exchange rate surprises:

U.S. credit card purchases are charged in U.S. dollars
  • Double the manufacturer's warranty on your credit card purchases, plus:

Your items are protected from theft or damage for 90 days1
  • Get a rebate on our low annual fee ($35):

If your annual BMO U.S. Dollar MasterCard purchases total US$1,000 or more, the annual fee for the next year will be rebated to your credit card2

Fees and Rates:

• US$35 Annual fee
  • 19.9% Interest rate

I have a no fee cash back BMO MasterCard. I also have an annual travel policy tied to that card.

The $'s we get cash back ends up paying for that annual policy each year.

The only U.S BMO card that is available right now has a $35 yearly fee

The BMO U.S. Dollar MasterCard®* gets you:

• No exchange rate surprises:

U.S. credit card purchases are charged in U.S. dollars
  • Double the manufacturer's warranty on your credit card purchases, plus:

Your items are protected from theft or damage for 90 days1
  • Get a rebate on our low annual fee ($35):

If your annual BMO U.S. Dollar MasterCard purchases total US$1,000 or more, the annual fee for the next year will be rebated to your credit card2

Fees and Rates:

• US$35 Annual fee
  • 19.9% Interest rate

Hi,

Curious about your "annual travel policy" with BM card. May I ask - does it cover you for only a certain length of time (eg. two weeks) or longer term. Would this benefit a Snowbird?

Thanks for info,

NJ :)

Hi,

Curious about your "annual travel policy" with BM card. May I ask - does it cover you for only a certain length of time (eg. two weeks) or longer term. Would this benefit a Snowbird?

Thanks for info,

NJ :)

BMO MasterCard Travel and Medical Protection – Annual Coverage

Year-round coverage whenever and wherever you travel

You have enough to worry about when you're planning a trip. With BMO MasterCard Travel and Medical Protection, you're always covered – with the payments charged conveniently to your credit card.

Affordable Protection

Options not available to residents of Quebec.

Basic Coverage

BMO Travel Protection - $35*/year

• Collision damage waiver insurance for car rentals
  • Up to $500,000 in common carrier accidental death and dismemberment insurance**
  • Unexpected return home and trip assistance
  • Unlimited number of trips per year

BMO 17 Day Medical Protection - $70*/year

Must be under age 65

• Up to $2 million reimbursement for eligible costs, including emergency hospital, ambulance and medical expenses
  • Up to $5,000 towards the cost of a Private Duty Nurse
  • Up to $2,000 per family member towards emergency dental expenses
  • Emergency air transportation by air ambulance to the nearest appropriate medical facility or to a Canadian hospital
  • Year-round coverage for trips up to 17 days in length

Comprehensive Coverage

BMO Travel Protection with Trip Cancellation – $80*/year

• Collision damage waiver insurance for car rentals
  • Up to $500,000 in common carrier accidental death and dismemberment insurance**
  • Up to $2,500 per family member and $5,000 per account towards costs associated with trip cancellation
  • Up to $2,000 per family member towards costs associated with trip interruption or trip delay
  • Up to $750 per trip, per family member towards costs associated with baggage delay, loss or damage
  • Up to $500 per account per trip towards costs associated with delayed flights
  • Unexpected return home and trip assistance

BMO 31 Day Medical Protection– $110*†/year

Must be under age 65

• Up to $2 million reimbursement for eligible costs, including emergency hospital, ambulance and medical expenses
  • Up to $5,000 towards the cost of a Private Duty Nurse
  • Up to $2,000 per family member towards emergency dental expenses
  • Emergency air transportation by air ambulance to the nearest appropriate medical facility or to a Canadian hospital
  • Year-round coverage for trips up to 31 days in length

Total Coverage

BMO Total Travel and Medical Protection - $129*/year - Save over $60/year!

• Enjoy complete peace of mind with both BMO 31 Day Medical Protection and BMO Travel Protection with Trip Cancellation
  • Save over $60 every year compared to the combined $190/year price
  • Protects you and your family for an unlimited number of trips per year

Age (Cardholder and Spouse)Annual Fee†Under 65$12965-69$32970-74$459

The added advantage to booking and paying in CDN$ is that for many cruises that are quite a ways out the prices in CDN an are almost the same as the US$ price.

For example a JS on Enchantment in March 2015 is $779 UD and only $799 CDN this is not a resident rate but simply a very favourable exchange rate. It can pay to book early.

You're better off booking in Canadian with a Canadian CC. The prices of are listed the same in USD and Canadian. With the exchange rate being what it is you'll save 10% right off the top.

Great to read! I hate when you book in US and then get a shocker when your credit card statement comes in. I love the days when it was par. I think our recent cruise chalked up another $800 when you exchanged it over on our credit card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do you get it to come up in Canadian dollars? Do all cruise lines offer that? I've not seen a currency option for Carnival? Can you switch currency after you've booked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you get it to come up in Canadian dollars? Do all cruise lines offer that? I've not seen a currency option for Carnival? Can you switch currency after you've booked?

Not sure about the other cruise lines but RCI automatically recognizes that I am in Canada most likely by my IP address. I can manually change to other currencies if I want. Currency selector is top right of the homepage.

I will sometimes do comparisons between CDN and US$. I have found some cruises that it was actually cheaper for me to book in US$ than in CDN$ even factoring in the exchange. You just need to tell them when booking what currency you would like to book in.

If you are using a NCC then you must book in the currency that your NCC was purchased in.

you can change it to US or CAD......just click on the Currency and it comes up with both.

it is on the bar along with the cabin categories....

Show Stateroom Prices for: INTERIOR OUTSIDE BALCONY DELUXE/SUITES

SORT RESULTS BY:

Special Pricing

CURRENCY:

USD

A couple things, based on experience:

- Carnival does not offer the option to book in C$ - only US$

- When you book a cruise on Royal in C$, this also locks in your pre cruise planning into Canadian dollars. If you book excursions or specialty restaurants in advance, they'll be quoted to you in C$. The exact price will vary...RCCL adjusts prices every once in a while (sometimes every few weeks, sometimes every few months) based on prevailing exchange rates...so, one day it may cost you C$38 to book Chops - a week later it may cost you C$48.

- all of this is different and separate from the 'dynamic currency conversion' offered for on board accounts...of which much has been written in separate posts here in cruise critic.