Another Denali question

EMED2010

I have verified with my insurance and Enterprise, that construction is an "exception" which is still fully covered by contracts and insurance. The "normal" rating of the road is a paved highway like the Parks Highway as an example. I was told, "wear and tear" comes into play for highways along with upkeep and repairs. As long as it is normally a maintained paved highway. Then it is fully covered. I do have this in writing.

Perhaps, consult your auto insurance and inquire?

Correct, and get it IN WRITING! The contracts that are provided by the car rental companies in Anchorage, including Enterprise from whom I have rented from quite often, make no such exception that you mentioned. Their word against their written contract that you sign? Guess what will win out in the end in case of any issues???!!!

And yet another option would be to take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez giving you the opportunity to drive Thompson Pass and then either take the Glenn Highway back to the Parks to head to Denali/Healy or the Denali Highway from Paxson to Cantwell and then up to Denali. I don’t like backtracking.

Regardless of what you do, it’s nice you are doing an area of the state that most cruisers aren’t able to.

This is a great idea. The Alaska state ferry (the state owned ferries are the Alaska Marine Highway System) from Whittier to Valdez is wonderful with very interesting scenery.

In the past, Hertz has never allowed driving the Denali Highway. Verify this for current policies and be certain to get it in writing.

Any plans for some glacier trekking- superb? Independence Mine via Hatcher Pass? Glennallen/Paxson is hardly worth the trouble, what else are you doing, this is a short distance.

Fall colors can be spectacular in Denali Park and worth while going to Wonder Lake. There is you some of the widest differences in terrain- that you mention. You are underestimating Fairbanks. Again, if looking for some, wow taking an Arctic fly/van day trip really shows the differences. :)

I suggest you not even consider "staying away from cruise tours". not an issue, with your own transportation.

Once again, thanks for yours and all following for their constructive comments. Hopefully we havent diverted too much from the OPs original question.

Sorry my mistake, we overnight at Matanuska not Glenallen. Yes, will be exploring some of the areas on the way from Anchorage. Visiting Eklutna Lake etc taking the Hatcher Pass detour to the Independance Mine site and doing some Glacier trekking at Matanuska. Probably get some grocery and picnic supplies in Palmer. I hear there is a state fair on there so might just keep that a secret frm DW:)

Our Royal Easter State Fair is on in Sydney right now.

This will be a big day therefore decided on the next day being a somewhat easier drive with only sightseeing involved along the way to Paxson. This will also be a backup day to visit Matanuska Glacier in the morning should we spend longer on the road from Anchorage. Will be discussing this issue with the guides etc.

Had earlier considered taking ferry to Valdez but maybe next time.

Also considered taking train from Anchorage to Seward but most on cc recommended the drive. We will also be taking a cruise on Prince William Sound. Staying out of town at Seward so that makes a car essential and dont want to rely on shuttles and taxis.

From the fabulous photo supplied by Glaciers, the road condition on the Denali looks pretty good and something that i would risk with a rental provided the weather conditions at the time in August has not caused the road to deteriorate then we would not take that risk.

My problem decision is what is going to give me the greatest diversification in sightseeing considering we are also spending 2 Days at Denali/Healy. There are so many things to see we will just have to come back:D

Would love to do the Arctic day trip - one day.

Thank you all for your comments

Hugh