Another Denali question

EMED2010

Sorry, but I haven't seen this one answered. How do the shuttle drivers know which stop you have purchased? Are there color coded tickets or something?

I'm planning on going to Eielson, but what if I find out that the mountain is visible and I want to go on to Wonder Lake?

Edited by EMED2010
spelling

Sorry, but I haven't seen this one answered. How do the shuttle drivers know which stop you have purchased? Are there color coded tickets or something?

I'm planning on going to Eielson, but what if I find out that the mountain is visible and I want to go on to Wonder Lake?

The shuttle buses are round trip to the specific destination. Once an Eielson bus gets to Eielson it turns back, same with ALL the others.

IF the Mt is viewable, immediately when you get off at Eielson, go and purchase an upgrade to Wonder Lake. Someone will board you depending on available seats. You may have a wait.

This is a reason it is suggested anyone, who "may" want to go to Wonder Lake, to buy a Wonder Lake shuttle ticket. They can dump the distance at any time, just exit the bus, and get on any shuttle bus going in the other direction.

Understand you are going to have the most buses available if you are off the bus before Toklat, fewest buses past Eielson.

The best view is from Eielson anyway. I've been hugely underwhelmed by Wonder Lake (both the lake and the view) both times I went the extra distance.

I also am hugely underwhelmed by Wonder Lake so it is nice to read that I am not alone. I've always wondered if it is because we live only two hours north and the scenery is too familiar.

The best view is from Eielson anyway. I've been hugely underwhelmed by Wonder Lake (both the lake and the view) both times I went the extra distance.

OP obviously "best" is relative and subjective. You are 20 miles closer from WonderLake and you cant see the Wickersham Wall from Eielson.

Different perspectives and I wouldnt say either is "best".

Edited by frugaltravel

The shuttle buses are round trip to the specific destination. Once an Eielson bus gets to Eielson it turns back, same with ALL the others.

IF the Mt is viewable, immediately when you get off at Eielson, go and purchase an upgrade to Wonder Lake. Someone will board you depending on available seats. You may have a wait.

This is a reason it is suggested anyone, who "may" want to go to Wonder Lake, to buy a Wonder Lake shuttle ticket. They can dump the distance at any time, just exit the bus, and get on any shuttle bus going in the other direction.

Understand you are going to have the most buses available if you are off the bus before Toklat, fewest buses past Eielson.

When does the shuttle turn back, immediately? I guess I was considering hanging in Eielson for an hour or two. I assuming they won't leave you stranded...

When does the shuttle turn back, immediately? I guess I was considering hanging in Eielson for an hour or two. I assuming they won't leave you stranded...

There is a 30-45 minute stop at Eielson.

I also am hugely underwhelmed by Wonder Lake so it is nice to read that I am not alone. I've always wondered if it is because we live only two hours north and the scenery is too familiar.

Interesting. We are driving to Denali via Paxton and Fairbanks on the Richardson Hwy. Will also take a detour to mile 21 on the Denali. My question is, are the views then very similar along the way to that at Eielson?

Overnighting 2 nights at Healy.

Plan was to take early shuttle to Wonder Lake and only go as far as Eielson if the Mtn was not out.

Hugh

Interesting. We are driving to Denali via Paxton and Fairbanks on the Richardson Hwy. Will also take a detour to mile 21 on the Denali. My question is, are the views then very similar along the way to that at Eielson?

Plan was to take early shuttle to Wonder Lake and only go as far as Eielson if the Mtn was not out.

Hugh

You won't see Mt. McKinely from the Denali Hwy. Nice scenery, but it doesn't compare to Denali NP IMHO.

Hugh

It is very different the Denali Highway and the Park Road. Average for me is 20 mph and be certain, if you have a rental car that it is allowed on this highway. I've rented from independents and had the permission spelled out in the rental agreement. I would also recommend you purchase all the insurance waivers from the rental company- reading them of course. I know that my auto insurance did NOT cover this drive as it was considered not a maintained highway. I also verified this in writing. You also need to have some basic skills, like the ability to change a tire if needed. :)

It is very different the Denali Highway and the Park Road. Average for me is 20 mph and be certain, if you have a rental car that it is allowed on this highway. I've rented from independents and had the permission spelled out in the rental agreement. I would also recommend you purchase all the insurance waivers from the rental company- reading them of course. I know that my auto insurance did NOT cover this drive as it was considered not a maintained highway. I also verified this in writing. You also need to have some basic skills, like the ability to change a tire if needed. :)

We will only go as far as mile 21 which is the end of the sealed section from the Richardson. Have dinner at the local inn then return to Paxton and stay at the cabins.

We will be hiring a 4WD or similar to meet the rental agreement. We are very experienced long distance travellers and can fix most things. Some of those hire companies should spend a few weeks in Australia, then they will realize how many goat tracks we have that are not maintained. Makes the Denali look like a motorway:)

Appreciate your comments.

Might just beg borrow or steal a tyre pump and a few tools:)

We will only go as far as mile 21 which is the end of the sealed section from the Richardson. Have dinner at the local inn then return to Paxton and stay at the cabins.

We will be hiring a 4WD or similar to meet the rental agreement. We are very experienced long distance travellers and can fix most things. Some of those hire companies should spend a few weeks in Australia, then they will realize how many goat tracks we have that are not maintained. Makes the Denali look like a motorway:)

So you are NOT going past the paved section of the Denali Highway? then you do NOT need any 4wd, or special rental. A regular cheap economy car works just fine and good on the wallet for gas. :)

Hello cassamanda: I've read your posts on the Australia and New Zealand forum. We had a delightful cruise to Sydney in 2011 and then spent some time in Australia. In fact we had so much fun we are doing another transpacific this fall and will spend additional time in your country as well.

I am somewhat confused by your post. Are you driving along the Richardson and then taking a slight detour (at the Paxson intersection) to travel the Denali Hwy. from the Richardson into the Tangle Lakes area? And then you plan to drive back to the Richardson? Will you also be visiting Denali National Park, but accessing it from the Parks Highway?

As someone who has visited Australia I think you will find the Alaska roads to be no problem at all. And no one needs to rent a 4WD vehicle for the highways such as the Richardson or Parks. Gas will be readily available at a number of stops, but apparently the Paxson Lodge closed suddenly this winter; our local newspaper here in Fairbanks tried to contact the lodge owners (with no success) to ask them about their plans for the summer.

I find the scenery along the Denali to be spectacular, but the spectacular part is not the area from Paxson to Tangle Lakes. The area in the "middle" part of the Denali Highway is glaciated terrain and very wild. I personally find that type of terrain very appealing.

Hello cassamanda: I've read your posts on the Australia and New Zealand forum. We had a delightful cruise to Sydney in 2011 and then spent some time in Australia. In fact we had so much fun we are doing another transpacific this fall and will spend additional time in your country as well.

I am somewhat confused by your post. Are you driving along the Richardson and then taking a slight detour (at the Paxson intersection) to travel the Denali Hwy. from the Richardson into the Tangle Lakes area? And then you plan to drive back to the Richardson? Will you also be visiting Denali National Park, but accessing it from the Parks Highway?

As someone who has visited Australia I think you will find the Alaska roads to be no problem at all. And no one needs to rent a 4WD vehicle for the highways such as the Richardson or Parks. Gas will be readily available at a number of stops, but apparently the Paxson Lodge closed suddenly this winter; our local newspaper here in Fairbanks tried to contact the lodge owners (with no success) to ask them about their plans for the summer.

I find the scenery along the Denali to be spectacular, but the spectacular part is not the area from Paxson to Tangle Lakes. The area in the "middle" part of the Denali Highway is glaciated terrain and very wild. I personally find that type of terrain very appealing.

I agree on the paved section mentioned of the Denali Highway. It is grossly superior past that area. I spent the whole day enjoying/stopping for the views, to Cantwell. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

YES

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Oz.

We have a confirmed booking with Audie and Jennie at Denali Highway Cabins in Paxson. We were going to do a detour drive up the Denali to mile 21 then return to Paxson for the night. If we have a 4WD then of course we would not do it thus way but continue along the Denali.

We are quite flexible as to how we get to Healy next day. We were going to travel via Fairbanks because we heard rental cars were not allowed on the Full length of the Denali. We can arrive late evening at Healy but will be up early for the shuttle in Denali NP next day.

Reconsidering the expensive hire of a 4WD. The risk of damage and/or breaking the rental agreement on a standard car and the expense of the 4WD may not be worth the worry of taking the short cut via the Denali. We certainly dont need a 4WD for any other road and certainly can save heaps of dollars that we can spend on other activities by just renting an SUV or regular car. This will also give us a chance to see some of the countryside and one or two attractions around Fairbanks such as the much acclaimed Museum if the North. Not interested in the Riverboat thing.

We are also spending 2 days around Seward so i am sure we will see lots of beautiful things along the way. And the great thing about a rental is that we can just stop anywhere and take it all in.

Dont ya love this planning thing!

Hugh

We will only go as far as mile 21 which is the end of the sealed section from the Richardson.

I think you should consider driving the Denali Highway between Paxson and Cantwell. When we drove it 2 years ago a two-wheel drive vehicle would have been fine. The road is well maintained. Would just need to rent from one of the companies that allows it.

As mentioned the highway consists of glaciated terrain, much of it eskers that are ridges that you drive on formed by sediment from rivers flowing beneath the glacier.

This is an esker near Alpine Creek Lodge, where we stayed, that is near the mid-point of the highway.

https://picasaweb.google.com/DelRockAlaska/November62011#6000474048809841634

What else are you doing on the Richardson? How much time do you have. It isn't the best plan, to be all the way in Paxson, then having to be a Denali Park the next day, if you aren't taking the Denali Highway. The best portion of the Richardson, by far is Glennallen/Valdez. Excellent to spend at least a full day at McCarthy/Kennicott.

Alaska does need some advance planning unless you are OK sleeping in your car. Distances are vast. If you aren't interested in Fairbanks, then skip it if short on time.

I think you should consider driving the Denali Highway between Paxson and Cantwell. When we drove it 2 years ago a two-wheel drive vehicle would have been fine. The road is well maintained. Would just need to rent from one of the companies that allows it.

As mentioned the highway consists of glaciated terrain, much of it eskers that are ridges that you drive on formed by sediment from rivers flowing beneath the glacier.

This is an esker near Alpine Creek Lodge, where we stayed, that is near the mid-point of the highway.

https://picasaweb.google.com/DelRockAlaska/November62011#6000474048809841634

Appreciate your comments. We will be renting from Hertz as we will pick up the car at Anchorage and drop in Seward and for some car types the penalty is minimal and within our budget. Will check with Hertz as to the policy and rent accordingly.

We want to see landscape and flora that is unique to Alaska. We travel in the last 2 weeks of August so hopefully the colours will be out.

I have been planning our trip for the past year. This one is the only decision left to make. That is, to do the full length of the Denali or go via Fairbanks from Paxson.

How much time would you allow for the drive between Paxson and Healy along the Denali with sightseeing stops?

What else are you doing on the Richardson? How much time do you have. It isn't the best plan, to be all the way in Paxson, then having to be a Denali Park the next day, if you aren't taking the Denali Highway. The best portion of the Richardson, by far is Glennallen/Valdez. Excellent to spend at least a full day at McCarthy/Kennicott.

Alaska does need some advance planning unless you are OK sleeping in your car. Distances are vast. If you aren't interested in Fairbanks, then skip it if short on time.

We will be travelling from Anchorage to Glenallen (overnight) then to Paxson (overnight) then to Healy for 2 nights then back to Anchorage before continueing on to Seward area for several days. Denali Park is day after we arrive Healy.

We are interested in Fairbanks but not to overnight or to do the touristy things such as the Riverboat cruise. We are more interested in the landscape, wildlife, cultural museums etc. therefore we would only be driving that way as a matter of experiiencing the environment and make a stop at say the Museum of the North as well as some of the milepost stops.

Unfortunately we dont have time to visit the McCarthy/Kennicott area.

As far as vast distances are concerned. I appreciate your comment but where we live this is an everday occurrance for us. Eg just yesterday i drove a 750km loop into the outback in a 14 hour period.

If the views along the Denali are far superior to those we will get versus Fairbanks then we will take the Denali and skip Fairbanks.

As i said earlier, we are flexible on this point and may even change our mind on the day as we have at least 12 hours available to drive from Paxson to Healy. We will take local advice on board as we travel.

I realize that our journey will be packed to overfull but we want to do something different and stay away from the cruise tours. We have had to compromise here and there and will stay in B&Bs everywhere we can. Our biggest dissapointment has been the non availability of the longer Kenai Fiords cruise as they stop a week earlier than last year and only offer the shorter ones.

Appreciate your comments. We will be renting from Hertz as we will pick up the car at Anchorage and drop in Seward and for some car types the penalty is minimal and within our budget. Will check with Hertz as to the policy and rent accordingly.

We want to see landscape and flora that is unique to Alaska. We travel in the last 2 weeks of August so hopefully the colours will be out.

I have been planning our trip for the past year. This one is the only decision left to make. That is, to do the full length of the Denali or go via Fairbanks from Paxson.

How much time would you allow for the drive between Paxson and Healy along the Denali with sightseeing stops?

We will be travelling from Anchorage to Glenallen (overnight) then to Paxson (overnight) then to Healy for 2 nights then back to Anchorage before continueing on to Seward area for several days. Denali Park is day after we arrive Healy.

We are interested in Fairbanks but not to overnight or to do the touristy things such as the Riverboat cruise. We are more interested in the landscape, wildlife, cultural museums etc. therefore we would only be driving that way as a matter of experiiencing the environment and make a stop at say the Museum of the North as well as some of the milepost stops.

Unfortunately we dont have time to visit the McCarthy/Kennicott area.

As far as vast distances are concerned. I appreciate your comment but where we live this is an everday occurrance for us. Eg just yesterday i drove a 750km loop into the outback in a 14 hour period.

If the views along the Denali are far superior to those we will get versus Fairbanks then we will take the Denali and skip Fairbanks.

As i said earlier, we are flexible on this point and may even change our mind on the day as we have at least 12 hours available to drive from Paxson to Healy. We will take local advice on board as we travel.

I realize that our journey will be packed to overfull but we want to do something different and stay away from the cruise tours. We have had to compromise here and there and will stay in B&Bs everywhere we can. Our biggest dissapointment has been the non availability of the longer Kenai Fiords cruise as they stop a week earlier than last year and only offer the shorter ones.

In the past, Hertz has never allowed driving the Denali Highway. Verify this for current policies and be certain to get it in writing.

Any plans for some glacier trekking- superb? Independence Mine via Hatcher Pass? Glennallen/Paxson is hardly worth the trouble, what else are you doing, this is a short distance.

Fall colors can be spectacular in Denali Park and worth while going to Wonder Lake. There is you some of the widest differences in terrain- that you mention. You are underestimating Fairbanks. Again, if looking for some, wow taking an Arctic fly/van day trip really shows the differences. :)

I suggest you not even consider "staying away from cruise tours". not an issue, with your own transportation.

Edited by Budget Queen

Note that almost all major car rental companies in Anchorage prohibit in writing in their fine print driving on any gravel (unsealed) roads. I know they probably mean any of the major unpaved roads like the Denali Highway. But the written contract clearly states otherwise - "any". It is impossible to drive the Parks Highway in the summer from Anchorage to Denali NP without driving on some portion of that road that is unpaved. So in a very real sense, no matter where you go with your rental car, you will be violating the rental contract.

So the real question is not whether you will violate the rental contract by driving the Denali Highway, but it is this - to what extent are you comfortable violating the rental contract? Some people will drive the Denali Hwy, McCarthy Road or other similar roads and be comfortable taking that risk. Others will be comfortable violating the contract by driving the unpaved construction portions of the Parks Highway (sometimes 20 miles long, like I experienced one summer).

In the end, it is your level of risk, not whether you might violate the Hertz rental contract, which I can almost assure you that you will even if you avoid the Denali Highway.

Note that almost all major car rental companies in Anchorage prohibit in writing in their fine print driving on any gravel (unsealed) roads. I know they probably mean any of the major unpaved roads like the Denali Highway. But the written contract clearly states otherwise - "any". It is impossible to drive the Parks Highway in the summer from Anchorage to Denali NP without driving on some portion of that road that is unpaved. So in a very real sense, no matter where you go with your rental car, you will be violating the rental contract.

So the real question is not whether you will violate the rental contract by driving the Denali Highway, but it is this - to what extent are you comfortable violating the rental contract? Some people will drive the Denali Hwy, McCarthy Road or other similar roads and be comfortable taking that risk. Others will be comfortable violating the contract by driving the unpaved construction portions of the Parks Highway (sometimes 20 miles long, like I experienced one summer).

In the end, it is your level of risk, not whether you might violate the Hertz rental contract, which I can almost assure you that you will even if you avoid the Denali Highway.

I have verified with my insurance and Enterprise, that construction is an "exception" which is still fully covered by contracts and insurance. The "normal" rating of the road is a paved highway like the Parks Highway as an example. I was told, "wear and tear" comes into play for highways along with upkeep and repairs. As long as it is normally a maintained paved highway. Then it is fully covered. I do have this in writing.

Perhaps, consult your auto insurance and inquire?

Edited by Budget Queen

I'm also curious as to why you are staying in Glennallen for one night and then the next night in Paxson? The distance between the two is relatively short? Are you going in to Valdez? On a nice day the view from Thompson Pass (on the road to Valdez) is lovely. Also, Stan Stephens Charters does a great job with their day cruises.

If you can find a rental car company which allows driving on the Denali Highway, you might want to consider it. The brief section from Paxson to Tangle Lakes is pretty ordinary, but there is some spectacular scenery more in the middle portion of the Denali Highway. As some portions of the Denali Highway are on top of eskers (as pointed out by "Glaciers"), these portions are elevated somewhat and offer great opportunities for wild life viewing if you have the time to stop and "glass" the hillsides.

Also, have you considered just returning the rental car in Anchorage, and taking the Alaska Railroad to Seward? It is a lovely trip.

And yet another option would be to take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez giving you the opportunity to drive Thompson Pass and then either take the Glenn Highway back to the Parks to head to Denali/Healy or the Denali Highway from Paxson to Cantwell and then up to Denali. I don’t like backtracking.

Regardless of what you do, it’s nice you are doing an area of the state that most cruisers aren’t able to.