HAL Galapagos Excursion

Mekka

Has anyone out there taken the HAL Galapagos excursion?

We are looking at the HAL Incan Empires cruise next year as a way to visit the Galapagos. We are trying to decide between a land-based trip (no cruise), using the HAL excursion, or putting together our own trip in the time between the port stops in Lima and Manta (6 days).

The HAL excursion is quite expensive (about $4,800), but has the usual advantages of convenience and security. The other options are no cheaper, but I suspect will offer a superior experience in the Galapagos.

Any feedback you can provide would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Can you provide more information about what is included in the Galapagos excursion? Where do you depart to do the excursion and how long will you have in the Galapagos? We did the Galapagos cruise with Celebrity. Have you checked the prices for that cruise? We did the 10 day package, and can highly recommend it.

The HAL excursion is 5 days:

Day 1- fly from Lima to the Galapagos. Visit Mosquera Islet & go snorkeling.

Day 2- South Plaza Island & Santa Fe Island wildlife viewing

Day 3- San Cristobal Island

Day 4- Cerro Colorado & Tortoise Breeding Station. Fly to mainland in evening.

Day 5- Drive to Manta to join the ship.

The first 3 nights are on the Galapagos Legend. The last night is a hotel.

THANKS. We looked at the Celebrity cruise, but we live in San Diego and the HAL cruise is a convenient round trip for us. Silversea now has an expedition ship stationed in the Galapagos, but the reviews so far have been quite poor.

We also did the Celebrity trip ...one of the best trips of our lives. Amazing. The itinerary above really misses the highlights of the Galapagos. For example , Española Island was worth the trip itself , Kicker Rock at sunrise , so many unique things .

I would even consider stayinga at Finch Bay Eco Resort and taking their small boat excursions rather than doing what seems to be a very rushed excursion by HAL. It is a fascinating hotel. We stayed the night before embarking on the Celebrity Xpedition ( we did the land portion all on our own.)

Here is our review so you can see what I am talking about :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1444153&highlight=celebrity+xpedition+and+ecuador

Seems to me like a typically overpriced cruise ship excursion. I do not see any convenience or security advantages. You are actually on the ship for only 3 days. I can take a Lindblad or National Geographic Galapagos trip where you are on the ship for 6 days for not much more money.

What is the advantage of paying HAL more money and getting less?

DON

Seems to me like a typically overpriced cruise ship excursion. I do not see any convenience or security advantages. You are actually on the ship for only 3 days. I can take a Lindblad or National Geographic Galapagos trip where you are on the ship for 6 days for not much more money.

What is the advantage of paying HAL more money and getting less?

DON

I agree with Don. For not too much more money you can have a more immersive experience. Spend some time reading the reviews and ports of call for the Galapagos. There was a morning and an afternoon excursion each day for 7 days. It is an amazing place. By far the best cruise we have ever done.

We are taking the silver galapagos on the 19th of this month. It seems that the ship and service has improved considerably in the past few months. It is important to note that passengers seem to be expecting the typical Silversea experience forgetting that this is an excursion ship. My brother sailed on one of the National Geographic/ Lindblad ships in February and the staterooms were minimal, food good, Galapagos fabulous. The people taking N.G. understand that due to Ecuadorian regulations regarding food and crew it is difficult to provide a true luxury experience. Silversea should not have promised what it can not deliver. We are looking forward to a fantastic excursion cruise and will expect comfort rather than luxury.

Laurie

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Lauranne