Help finding a budget options thread

samchico

Hi all

I've searched the forum with no luck. I'm pretty sure I remember a thread from a couple of months ago listing great budget options for shore excursions. Clearly I can't find it again :( We're visiting Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan in early May.

TIA Samantha

Here’s one thread although there are many.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974378&highlight=cheap

Renting a car in Juneau can be very cost effective. Although not a sure thing, the hatchery dumps fish at the Shrine of St Therese and there has been some whale activity there although the only guarantee for sightings would be to take a tour. I’ve seen two posts recently of increased whale sightings this year from locals in Sitka and Juneau. The Juneau one was just last week at the Shrine. Someone posted photos on Facebook in the Juneau Photo Group.

Many times, "budget" includes walking tours, rental cars etc and usually not "tours". for the lowest budget options. So you can find the options using those searches. for those details, I also suggest you head to your library and take out Frommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska. Both books have very detailed walking tours.

Out of Ketchikan, I have posted a walking tour, and also advocate for the using the city bus and going to Totem Bight, print out and take with you the Totem guide. Go next door and visit Potlatch Park. Allow at least 3 hours. If you have a later port day, the buses can fill up, and only run once/hour. Get the details, if of interest to you.

In Juneau, the bottom budget is a walking tour of the downtown area, actually very interesting. An added budget recommendation would be to rent a car. I recommend using Avis at the Goldbelt. Again, if of interest, get the details where to go.

Skagway, more walking tours, http://www.skagway.com should have a walking tour listed, they did in the past. The National Park visitor center is the place to spend your time, you do need to get there early to sign up for the limited space walking tours. Depending on the ranger, they are different. http://www.nps.gov/klgo A costly rental car, is also highly recommended for a full day of touring the Yukon.

If the budget options thread suggests a visit to the Alaska State Museum while in Juneau, be aware that the ASM is in the process of moving into the new SLAM facility. The move will be very slow and painstaking as the collection will be moved by hand through a constructed tunnel of Connex buildings. Museum professionals from throughout the state are scheduled to help with the process, and the ASM will be closed until it is completed.

Another budget option for Juneau not frequently mentioned is a visit to the Alaskan Brewing Company brewery (as opposed to their retail outlet downtown). They offer free tastings at the brewery location (but not at the downtown retail outlet) while doing a simple tour/explanation of their brewing process.

Another budget option for Juneau not frequently mentioned is a visit to the Alaskan Brewing Company brewery (as opposed to their retail outlet downtown). They offer free tastings at the brewery location (but not at the downtown retail outlet) while doing a simple tour/explanation of their brewing process.

This is a great suggestion with a rental car. My husband loves Alaskan Amber and we usually stop there. :) Also a quick stop at the hatchery is also worthwhile if the salmon are running.

The Brewery does offer downtown shuttle service which is a good option and time saver.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be on the May 18 Princess grand sailing and while in Juneau, wanted to at least see Mendenhall glacier/ hike Nugget Falls and do the Alaska brewery tour.

Since the shuttle bus -- not the local bus-- to Mendenhall Glacier is now $20/rt per pp (up from last year's price of $16/pp roundtrip) and the shuttle to the brewery is $7.50 each way (or maybe that's round trip), we decided it was more time efficient and about the same cost for us being a party of two, to just rent a car -- and thus, go where we want to go when we want to go.

The rental car from Avis was $55 for a small. . .and if you can find a couple more people to share your car with you, that would bring the price/pp down even further.

We will be on the May 18 Princess grand sailing and while in Juneau' date=' wanted to at least see Mendenhall glacier/ hike Nugget Falls and do the Alaska brewery tour.

Since the shuttle bus -- not the local bus-- to Mendenhall Glacier is now $20/rt per pp (up from last year's price of $16/pp roundtrip) and the shuttle to the brewery is $7.50 each way (or maybe that's round trip), we decided it was more time efficient and about the same cost for us being a party of two, to just rent a car -- and thus, go where we want to go when we want to go.

The rental car from Avis was $55 for a small. . .and if you can find a couple more people to share your car with you, that would bring the price/pp down even further.[/quote']

Yep, this is a frequent recommendation. The ability to also add, several more stops, if of interest. :)