Hamilton or St George?

sjde

If we see only one on Bermuda, which would you suggest?

From what I've read, St George is prettier-smaller, and more charming, but Hamilton has more shopping?

there is no great shopping in Bermuda anymore. They used to have some unique shopping but its almost all gone. see the sights forget the shopping.

From what I've read, St George is prettier-smaller, and more charming, but Hamilton has more shopping?

It really depends on what you enjoy. If you are looking for shopping there are lots of stores in Hamilton. We went last year, had lunch at the Pickled Onion, shopped a bit and had a nice boat ride back to the dockyard. Two to three hours was plenty. I am not sure we would ever do it again. I would say this was my least favorite thing we did in Bermuda. We saved it for our second trip since we knew it was not really our style but wanted to see it.

We went to St George the year before. We snorkeled at Tobacco Bay, walked back into town, past the Unfinished Church. We walked the little streets with all the cute names, saw all the great architecture, colors and flowering trees, went into some quaint shops including the perfumery, visited St Peters church, saw the cute park with the Deliverance replica, saw the ducking chair, listened to the live music in Kings square. We missed the town crier, wench ducking and the guided walking tour which I would love to do. We also did not go to Somers gardens or St Catherine's fort. St George is definitely my vote! We cannot wait to go back. You could easily spend an entire day here. The ferries going back to the Dockyard do not run late (6pm, the latest when we went) so plan well. This was my 2nd favorite thing we have done in Bermuda.

Our #1 thing to do is being dropped off at Warwick and walking the path past all the beautiful coves, stopping to take pics and swim, all the way down to Horseshoe where we spend the remainder of the day. Now that is Bermuda!

Happy planning!

Lauri

St. George is a World Heritage Site. Less shopping but enough. If the choice is one I would pick St. George.

Hamilton was my least favorite part of Bermuda, but then again I wasn't there to shop. I felt like there was very little to do there for a tourist, unless you wanted to shop.

There is Fort Hamilton and also the Bermuda Historical Museum in Hamilton. The park behind the museum and library. The waterfront park. Plus besides shopping the Hog Penny Pub and other restaurants. Horse and Buggy rides. The National Gallery. If one has to pick one place I would pick St. George but there is stuff to do in Hamilton besides shop. My least favorite place is the Dockyard but there is good stuff there too. The Maritime Museum, Commisioners House, the artists workshops.

Edited by Charles4515

St. George is a lovely and interesting town - close to two of the best beaches on the island: Tobacco Bay and Fort St. Catherine - definitely more enjoyable than Hamilton (unless shopping is essential to you).

Of course, Dockyard (a dismal tourist trap) probably has better shopping than Hamilton, so you can get your retail fix there and skip Hamilton altogether.

Take the ferry to St. George's you won't be disappointed.

It really depends on what you are interested in. Hamilton has fun restaurants, galleries, the Irish Linen Shop, English Sport Shop, Gosling's Store for duty free liquor, Cooper's, the Phoenix, Marks & Spencer, Crissons, and many shops for fine luxury goods. There is also the Cathedral, the Gallery at City Hall, Fort Hamilton, Perot Post Office, Queen Elizabeth Park, Bacardi's Headquarters, Tea at the Hamilton Princess, Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute. If you go, I think the ferry ride is more beautiful than the one to St. George's, and I recommend taking the Pink Ferry on a cheap and fun circuit as a harbour tour.

Tropical Rain Forest in moat of Ft. Hamilton

38931497.jpg

Front Street

41466114.jpg

St. George's has more history, beautiful quaint lanes to wander around, the unfinished cathedral, St. Peter's Church, close proximity to Ft. St. Catherine, and two beaches. There is little shopping these days, but it is a lovely town to wander around in, and is much much less busy or commercial.

The Unfinished Cathedral

6088852-The_Unfinished_Church_Bermuda.jpg?version=2

Street in St. George.

dsc00901.jpg

Does the pink ferry just stay in Hamilton Harbor?

Are there other parts of the island that have tropical rain forest?

Yes, you are correct. The Pink Ferry is for the Hamilton commuters, and not really for the tourist.

I can't say that you'll find a tropical rain forest at any of these locations, but here are 4 nature reserves with the distance from Hamilton:

SBtS

Yes the Pink Ferry Route is all within Hamilton Harbour

bermuda_i00020b.jpg

On smaller ferries that you would sit up on the top deck for the views.

ferry.jpg

Though I think it makes a perfect tour of the harbour for the tourist.. And it also serves as transportation for the guests of hotels such as the Newstead Belmont Hills, Greenbank, Salt Kettle and Inverurie Executive Suites

Rain Forest might not be the right word, I think tropical gardens might better describe the Moat

Edited by modelman

Also in Hamilton is the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute...my dh and I spent 3 fun and interesting hours there...

We did this two years ago-hoofed it all the way from the ferry terminal:eek:

Interesting place. But we missed most of the island (poor planning on my part) so this time we are taking a shore excursion island tour. Normally I would not do this but we would like to see the entire island and I'm not cofident on self planning.

Looking back, I wish we had picked St. George, but to each his own.

We did this two years ago-hoofed it all the way from the ferry terminal:eek:

Interesting place. But we missed most of the island (poor planning on my part) so this time we are taking a shore excursion island tour. Normally I would not do this but we would like to see the entire island and I'm not cofident on self planning.

Looking back, I wish we had picked St. George, but to each his own.

I love St. George's!!!! My dh and I always spend a day there...there are a few quaint shops there that I love...we usually walk to Tobacco Bay and then on to Blackbeards Tavern that is further down the road and have a couple of drinks..then walk back to town and take the ferry back to the Dockyard..Beautiful...

Instead of the shore excursion tour I would suggest a taxi tour. There are drivers trained for tours. Much better than a bus tour which is likely going to be with 40 people. We did it with six in a taxi van and it came out to $25 per person for a four hour tour. You can do it longer if you want to see more.

Edited by Charles4515