Need your help with Athens please

aSiAnRiCk

Hello,

I am trying to organize a group tour for our sailing on Norwegian Spirit in September. Our ship will be in port from 8AM to 6PM.

We are going to rent a minibus and we're debating between Private Greece Tours or PK Travel aka AthensbyTaxi as they both have excellent reviews on CruiseCritic.

I did a quick google search and found the following to be point of interest. I'd like to see them all but PLEASE tell me if something is out of the way / impossible to include in the day tour.

Acropolis (would a guide be necessary?)

Sygtagma Square to see changing of the guards

Hill of St. Georges to see Acropolis and Temple of Zeus from above

Hadrian's Arch

Olympic Stadium

The Parthenon

Tomb of Unknown Soldier

Theater of Dionysus

Temple of Olympian Zeus

Panathenaic Stadium

Hill of Lycabettous

Roman / Ancient Agora

Plaka for quick lunch and Baklava

Driving along the Greek Coast

And if there's anything that's not listed but a "must visit" for Athens, please let me know.

I thank you so much for your help!

And I found more from my other notes :D

Mars Hill

Arena of Herodes

Propylaea

Porch of Caryatids

Climb Lykavitros HIll to the highest point of Athens to take photos looking down towards Acropolis

Temple of Hephaestus

And when I said "visit", it can also be a "photo stop", so only about 10 minutes stop needed.

Thanks again!

I did a quick google search and found the following to be point of interest. I'd like to see them all but PLEASE tell me if something is out of the way / impossible to include in the day tour.

Acropolis (would a guide be necessary?)

Sygtagma Square to see changing of the guards

Hill of St. Georges to see Acropolis and Temple of Zeus from above

Hadrian's Arch

Olympic Stadium

The Parthenon

Tomb of Unknown Soldier

Theater of Dionysus

Temple of Olympian Zeus

Panathenaic Stadium

Hill of Lycabettous

Roman / Ancient Agora

Plaka for quick lunch and Baklava

Driving along the Greek Coast

And if there's anything that's not listed but a "must visit" for Athens, please let me know.

I thank you so much for your help!

And I found more from my other notes :D

Mars Hill

Arena of Herodes

Propylaea

Porch of Caryatids

Climb Lykavitros HIll to the highest point of Athens to take photos looking down towards Acropolis

Temple of Hephaestus

And when I said "visit", it can also be a "photo stop", so only about 10 minutes stop needed.

Thanks again!

Did you just pluck these out of some list or guidebook without doing any reading? Some are duplicates, and a lot of them are smaller sites that you will find inside the larger ones, like the Acropolis

Acropolis = the top of the hill, on which you will find the Parthenon, the Propylaea, the Porch of the Caryatids. The Theater of Dionysus and the Odeon (not Arena) of Herodes Atticus are on the side of the Acropolis.

Agora = area next to the Acropolis, includes the Temple of Hephaestus

The "Hill of Lycabettous" and the "Lykavitros Hill" are the same thing Also, the "Olympic Stadium" and the "Panathenaic Stadium" are the same thing.

I think you could do most of these things in a very full day except I'd leave out driving along the coast and just spend the time in Athens.

I notice you do not include either the Acropolis Museum or the National Archaeological Museum. You probably wouldn't have time for the latter....

Thank you for the clarification cruisemom42. Yes, I posted that after going through couple Trip Reports on here.

I found the following from PK Travel website. I'm not sure if 8-6 in Athens is enough for their full day tour but this is their tour description

ATHENS

includes a visit to: The Acropolis (where you will see the Temple of Parthenon which is dedicated to Athena Parthenos, Propylea which is the monumental entrance to the sacred area, the Temple of Athena Nike which is dedicated to Athena-Apteros Nike, the Temple of Erechtheion which is dedicated to Athena Polias, the Cariatides, Herodeon Theater, the ruins of the Theater of Dionysus, Areopagus (Mars Hill), The Temple of Zeus (which is the largest ancient temple in Greece in the Corinthian order), The Panathenaic Stadium (also known as The Kallimarmaro, the original stadium built in the 1863 for the first modern Olympic games in 1896), The Hill of Lycabettus, The Old Palace, The Tomb of The Unknown Soldier in front of the Parliament & The Changing of The Guards, The Catholic Cathedral, The “Neoclassical Trilogy” [The Academy, The National Library, The First University of Athens], The Plaka (which is Athens’ oldest and most picturesque neighborhood. It is stone-paved, with narrow streets, and is full of gyros places, tavernas and souvenir shops) for lunch and free time, The Greek Agora (which was the civic, religious and commercial center of the Athenian life set with appropriate buildings like the Stoa of Attalus [now, since its restoration, is used as a Museum housing interesting findings] and The Temple of Hephaistus), The Roman Agora (where the Tower of Winds stands [which is an octagonal pentelic marble clock tower], and finally The New Acropolis Museum*.

* Please note that The New Acropolis Museum is closed on Mondays so it is replaced by The National Archaeological Museum (which is the largest museum in Greece and one of the world's great museums with more than 20,000 exhibits).

I wonder if I can replace New Acropolis Museum with the National Archaeological Museum.

Edited by aSiAnRiCk

Yes, I think your port day should allow for this full-day tour. It will be up to you to remain on schedule though and not linger anywhere too long.

If you are doing this as a private tour, you should be able to make a substitution, just keep in mind the National Archaeological Museum is much bigger and it would involve driving there (still a short drive) -- whereas the Acropolis Museum is at the foot of the Acropolis and you'd presumably walk there. So in the end, your time there might be short. But it is a wonderful museum!

Thank you again cruisemom42.

Last question (hopefully lol)

The tour company is offering a tour guide for either Acropolis or for the full day tour. In your experience, is that necessary or do you think we'll be sufficient with our driver? From the reviews I read, PK Travel tour drivers have great general knowledge of Athens and its history.

And any personal preference between Private Greece Tours and PK Tour aka Athens by Taxi?

Thank you.

Thank you again cruisemom42.

Last question (hopefully lol)

The tour company is offering a tour guide for either Acropolis or for the full day tour. In your experience, is that necessary or do you think we'll be sufficient with our driver? From the reviews I read, PK Travel tour drivers have great general knowledge of Athens and its history.

And any personal preference between Private Greece Tours and PK Tour aka Athens by Taxi?

Thank you.

Well, it somewhat depends on your level of interest. For most people, I would not think it is necessary to have a guide for the full day. Maybe for the Acropolis....but if I were you, I wouldn't just count on your driver's expertise. Look up some of the podcasts (Rick Steves = FREE and very good) that cover the Acropolis and the Agora, in particular.

Can't give you any guidance on which to use, having not used either -- sorry.