Kids on Celebrity?

I LOVE kids. Why not serve them at the buffet?

My son, in his tuxedo, would be very out-of-place at the buffet.

Believe it or not, some children can be very well behaved in the main dining room, order off the adult menu, use proper table manners and engage adults in conversation.

Onessa, obviously my comments were not directed to you, but just a general observation from many years of reading these boards. Applause to you for having a straight A student. But I maintain, I find it difficult to believe that every single parent who claims to have straight A students, might not be totally truthful.

Also, you're lucky to have not had the child cruiser problems we have, but it doesn't make our experiences less valid.

while I hate to burst your bubble, there are some kids out there who do get straight A's -- and dissing those of us who have raised such kids by saying we "claim" is really not constructive. My DD worked very hard to maintain her GPA and if, as a family, we determined that she could miss a day or two of school for whatever reason, it is my family's decision.

Perhaps, in your family's case, your family should have decided that you could not do certain activities. And I hope you did.

During our DD's final band trip this year, as head chaperone, my DH did end up making two boys sleep on the floor of their hotel room one night so their chaperone could bunk in to make certain they stayed quiet. All four boys in the room got to spend the next day (when we were at an amusement park for a large portion of the day) with my DH -- who does NOT "do" any rides. Each of the boys had to call their parents to explain what they had done (they were loud, and continued to be loud after being warned). The parents all took this very seriously - and each of the boys were punished once they got home which included each of the boys doing chores for both my husband and their chaperone.

I have discovered after 15 years of being a scout leader and youth soccer board member, and 8 years of band trips and curling trips, and countless other chaperoning/supervising of kids -- that 98% of the parents do take their kids' behavior very seriously. Some kids can be a real handful - but if you work to figure out what "gets" to them, you can usually get through to them.

But you are right there are some parents who just do not care. And there are some kids who are just incorragible.

My experience has been pretty much the exact opposite. While I have encountered situations where a fussy toddler has interrupted my meal prior to its being "whisked" out of the room, and I have had to "excuse" myself to get by a knot of tweens camped out in a stairwell. I have never been awoken at 2:30am by a kid pounding on my stateroom door demanding for me to let them in, but I was threatened by some drunk one morning (who, turns out, was one deck off). And I have been physically knocked down by a 250lb drunk who tripped getting onto the elevator, . . . so yes, drunken adults have negatively impacted my cruises.

But I'm not saying we need dry cruise lines (First, they would be WAY too expensive :) and secondly, 98% of the pax who drink are perfectly able to drink in moderation). So anyone who is saying that because a few badly behaved kids have disturbed their cruise that that is reason to not have any kids on a cruise, may be over reacting.

So nicely said. I agree My one dd gets straight A's and another gets mostly A's with maybe a B or 2. And if I want to take them on a vacay when the crowds are less, I will pull them. Based on your description we probably have the same kinda structure in our homes. Thanks for saying it well

Michelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As many have pointed out, time of year and itinerary are going to also dictate the number of children on any ship.

We just got off Celebrity Solstice and found very few children. We probably saw a handful of children all cruise, with the last day being the most time we saw children. The itinerary, Alaska, and time of year, beginning of September, probably had more to do with the lack of children than Celebrity.

We loved Celebrity and did find that the cruise was a bit more low key and relaxed than Caribbean cruises we have been on. Some of the venues on that ship, like Crush or Molecular bar, are great and I highly recommend the ship if you are considering Celebrity.

That said, we love RCI, and we usually sail on big ships line Independence of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, in January and February. Children are in school those times too, and while there are children on those ships, we have never felt like it was over run with kids. If it was in the middle of summer, I am sure there would be children all over those ships

If you are looking for a more subdue and calm cruise, than Celebrity is definitely worth a try. It also has some great food and SUPERIOR service.

Keep on Cruising!