Kids on Celebrity?

just to summarize the various flamers ....

yes brought our teen on a cruise...once and no more..he confirmed that there is nothing for teens to do on a celebrity ship, take them and any other kids elsewhere, other than a fun factory and camp, there are no other activities....

if you want your kid in a camp, put them in a camp and have an adult experience for the two of you on a cruise, when was the last time you did that, it will do wonders for your relationship....

yes if there is something that is preventing you from sleeping at night or enjoying your cruise experience report it, celebrity welcomes that and will respond to it...you are helping yourself and others....

as for selfish, some here have said, they take their kids on Celeb because there are less kids .....even though other lines have so many fun things for them....isnt that selfish, who are they doing that for ...for themselves, to have peace and quiet....

that is all any of us want on a cruise holiday.....

So just to summarise your comments:

- Have children but don't spend time with them on holiday - stick them in a camp or better still, send them to boarding school and then you don't have to bother with them at all :eek:.

- Or if you do bring them along, allow them to underage drink and stay out all hours, then complain about the company they are keeping (of which you have no idea about anyway) :eek:!

- Let them roam in foreign ports without any adult supervision :eek:.

- It's okay for you to bring your DS on a cruise and disturb others, but no one else can bring their child and disturb you.

Why have children in the first place if you have no intention of spending quality time together, learning about other cultures, traditions and the wonderful places in this wide world?

You obviously don't understand that some children prefer fewer kids on their vacations...the parents are not being selfish by considering their wishes in the decision making. Just the same as some adults prefer smaller ships with less pax. We are all individual, however, we all have to live together and be tolerant (well, unless you live in a war zone - and I'm sure a teen being loud is the least of their worries).

Not everyone wants to live in the big city, you'd be surprised how many children love living in the countryside or at the seaside, without all the multi-complex cinemas, ice-skating rinks etc.

All that being said, I can still bring my kids because we're from the UK and you approve of our parenting skills (not stereotyping in the least :rolleyes:).

Where's Andy ;)? I did try not to bite :cool:.

Why is everyone who seems to not like children on board obsessed as to whether there are enough climbing walls, surf pools, and great kids clubs to determine whether ships are suitable. Does no one take their kids on cruises to experience the varied and interesting destinations and to spend quality family time together in shows and restaurants and doing shared activities? There are always possible issues like the baby crying all night but I am sure that the parents more than anyone were trying their best to resolve that for their own benefit never mind anyone else's. If the sound attenuation is that bad,then you are equally likely to get stuck with a continually arguing couple or a particularly energetic couple next door which can be equally disturbing and is just the luck of the draw.

We have done 4 cruises with our son starting at age 10 and he is now 14. He has not spent more than a couple of sea days in the kids club on each cruise and last year never set foot in it as 10 out of 12 days were in ports. He enjoyed the kids clubs when he went and generally the staff are amazing but he would rather go in the pool or play deck games with his mum or play table tennis or a board game or watch a movie with me, or read or listen to music or play games on his iPod or take part in a quiz, more or less the same as most of the adults on board excepting possibly sun bathing which kids now seem to be taught at school is a bad thing to do. In 60 days of cruising he has not complained of boredom once.

I guess we must be a weird family, as if you were to believe many of the posts on this board most parents leave their kids to run riot and create chaos all day if they are not shackled in the kids club. This is not our experience and generally we have found the children on celebrity, almost without exception, to be particularly courteous and well behaved. I wish I could say the same for the adults who all too often provide the most effective teaching tool possible as how not to behave in public. My son had no idea what a chav was until he went on a cruise!

People without kids do have options! For most of the year the kids are in school leaving plenty of cruises where there will be very few children and where it would be extremely easy to avoid them. There are also cruise lines that have adult only ships if you want to be absolutely certain of having a child free vacation. X is a very good family line and until such time as my son tells us he is bored with cruising we will be making the most of holidays on celebrity ships which seem to work really well for all of us as a family holiday.

Why is everyone who seems to not like children on board obsessed as to whether there are enough climbing walls, surf pools, and great kids clubs to determine whether ships are suitable. Does no one take their kids on cruises to experience the varied and interesting destinations and to spend quality family time together in shows and restaurants and doing shared activities? There are always possible issues like the baby crying all night but I am sure that the parents more than anyone were trying their best to resolve that for their own benefit never mind anyone else's. If the sound attenuation is that bad,then you are equally likely to get stuck with a continually arguing couple or a particularly energetic couple next door which can be equally disturbing and is just the luck of the draw.

We have done 4 cruises with our son starting at age 10 and he is now 14. He has not spent more than a couple of sea days in the kids club on each cruise and last year never set foot in it as 10 out of 12 days were in ports. He enjoyed the kids clubs when he went and generally the staff are amazing but he would rather go in the pool or play deck games with his mum or play table tennis or a board game or watch a movie with me, or read or listen to music or play games on his iPod or take part in a quiz, more or less the same as most of the adults on board excepting possibly sun bathing which kids now seem to be taught at school is a bad thing to do. In 60 days of cruising he has not complained of boredom once.

I guess we must be a weird family, as if you were to believe many of the posts on this board most parents leave their kids to run riot and create chaos all day if they are not shackled in the kids club. This is not our experience and generally we have found the children on celebrity, almost without exception, to be particularly courteous and well behaved. I wish I could say the same for the adults who all too often provide the most effective teaching tool possible as how not to behave in public. My son had no idea what a chav was until he went on a cruise!

People without kids do have options! For most of the year the kids are in school leaving plenty of cruises where there will be very few children and where it would be extremely easy to avoid them. There are also cruise lines that have adult only ships if you want to be absolutely certain of having a child free vacation. X is a very good family line and until such time as my son tells us he is bored with cruising we will be making the most of holidays on celebrity ships which seem to work really well for all of us as a family holiday.

I was going to just use your last statement but all is great. Bravo! not only on answering some posters but also on raising a "good" child.

villauk , you did not summarize my comments...

what you did was totally alter my comments to suit yourself....many people do that as a very poor form of debating an issue...

but I understand that is your way of expressing yourself....

I think that there are enough opinions here to show all of us that there will be kids aboard Celebrity, no matter what time of year, even if there are minimal activities for them to enjoy, that some will be well behaved....

but it only takes a few to make it not enjoyable for others...

it also shows that many adults would like a peaceful, quiet holiday and will be vigillant to ensure that happens...

and that parents that bring children aboard will do their best as well to make sure that their choice does not negatively affect someone else....

I am pleased to see topics like this, because it is the only way for parents who bring kids on board to know that adults that want peace and quiet are not going to sit idly by while kids are running amoc...I have even seen some take pics of unrully kids jumping into the pool and take it to guest relations for action....

that is a good deterrent for any misbehaviour....

I really feel badly for celebrity staff that have to deal with all that...they really try and do their best but are in an awkward position....

I guess that is a whole other topic....

But if you sail longer cruises like the one you are on, won't you get more people who are retired? Not that I'm knocking being retired as I am, but isn't there also something nice about cruising with younger people?

I think it depends on your choice of itinerary and the time of year that you like to cruise. We prefer the west bound Trans Atlantic cruises just because we really enjoy the sea days. Our experience is this type of cruise tends to attract an older crowd but it is always nice to see young people on board.

what you did was totally alter my comments to suit yourself....many people do that as a very poor form of debating an issue...

I think that there are enough opinions here to show all of us that there will be kids aboard Celebrity, no matter what time of year, even if there are minimal activities for them to enjoy, that some will be well behaved....

it also shows that many adults would like a peaceful, quiet holiday and will be vigillant to ensure that happens...

and that parents that bring children aboard will do their best as well to make sure that their choice does not negatively affect someone else....

I am pleased to see topics like this, because it is the only way for parents who bring kids on board to know that adults that want peace and quiet are not going to sit idly by while kids are running amoc...I have even seen some take pics of unrully kids jumping into the pool and take it to guest relations for action....

I really feel badly for celebrity staff that have to deal with all that...they really try and do their best but are in an awkward position....

Which points did I incorrectly summarise? Would you like me to include the posts where you stated:

1. Put your children in a summer camp and don't bring them on a cruise.

2. Allow your DS to mix/run amoc with others who were drinking alcohol underage.

3. Let him in a port without adult supervision.

4. Bring your DS on a cruise and then tell everyone else not to bring their child.

I think when you read back through your posts, you will realise why most are finding it difficult to concur with your thinking :confused:. There is no need to try and twist any of your comments, you have performed that perfectly well yourself - as others have pointed out ;). However, I'm pleased to see you are relenting and accepting that all children are different and some are well behaved, well brought-up children. If nothing else, this 'debate' has started to convert your opinions.

I would also be very careful when taking photographs of anyone without their permission, especially children. I'm unsure of US laws, but over here, I believe, one has to obtain written permission before you are allowed to take photographs of children other than your own ;).

I have been on 50+ cruises and have never had those experiences. Perhaps you need to either change cruise lines or traveling companions.

My point really was that there are adults that behave less than ideally, not just children.

None of those incidents ruined my cruise or would cause me to change cruise lines.

it is not what I said, it is your perception of what I said....I made a point of showing that when teens are on a ship that has no activities for them, they will just hang out....thus questioning why bring teens on a ship where there is nothing for them...but you missed that....instead you are on a tirade to attack my parenting skills...

why not point out, there are parents who are selfish enough to bring kids on a ship with nothing for them, so they parents can have a quiet sail since there will be less kids...and yes camp is all that is offered on a celeb ship....

have I relented, no, my stance it clear, no kids on Celebrity ships....leave the ships for adult experiences...go to royal carib or others....is that realistic , of course not, but there are less kids and so far no great climbing walls, so Celeb must be listening to those of us who are clamouring for that adult environment and will continue to do so...

as for someone saying I am stereotyping, brilliant, that is exactly what I am doing...on that Canary Is, cruise, there were several kids from Uk...a pleasure...can you imagine I saw a child reading a book, kids sitting quietly with parents in various areas....no issues with kids on that sailing...

why is that? that is a whole other kettle of fish.....

it is not what I said, it is your perception of what I said....I made a point of showing that when teens are on a ship that has no activities for them, they will just hang out....thus questioning why bring teens on a ship where there is nothing for them...but you missed that....instead you are on a tirade to attack my parenting skills...

why not point out, there are parents who are selfish enough to bring kids on a ship with nothing for them, so they parents can have a quiet sail since there will be less kids...and yes camp is all that is offered on a celeb ship....

have I relented, no, my stance it clear, no kids on Celebrity ships....leave the ships for adult experiences...go to royal carib or others....is that realistic , of course not, but there are less kids and so far no great climbing walls, so Celeb must be listening to those of us who are clamouring for that adult environment and will continue to do so...

as for someone saying I am stereotyping, brilliant, that is exactly what I am doing...on that Canary Is, cruise, there were several kids from Uk...a pleasure...can you imagine I saw a child reading a book, kids sitting quietly with parents in various areas....no issues with kids on that sailing...

Got to love this. Uk children are ok. Well thank you. Lucky for me, it seems you will approve of my children. If nothing else, i demand good public behaviour. You said earlier, how many children would turn down climbing walls etc. Well, how about children with severe fear of heights? Most of the activities on Royal Caribbean are beyond the age range for my children, and seeing as I am disabled to a degree, I believe that Celebrity is a good fit right now. My 11 year old is looking forward to spending some Mummy and son time with me and my younger 2 will be happy as pigs is muck at the fun factory...lol

You are right about 1 thing. I did choose the Eclipse for me. I love her. I love the itinerary. I love the crew and staff. I feel safe and comfortable. All things very important for me. When I am at ease, my children benefit. So if that makes me selfish, so be it. But my children are just so very excited about this holiday DISPITE the lack of climbing walls, pool slides, skating rings, etc etc etc. They just love their mummy and the fact I can take them on Holiday x x x :D

I fill sorry for your nasty experience with kids jumping to pool . (dose not X has adults pool only ?)

I have some rhetorical questions too .

1.Why people choose first raw by the pool and then keep complaining about kids splashing on them .

2. Why people feel free to cut me and my kid in line to elevator just because they older and have stroller ?

3.why some people dance like crazy in evening but next morning use a wheel chair to get before me ashore ?

4.Why some people think they can bring stupid dogs to the restaurant on board ?

WE all can go on and on with questions but we will not find the answer .

Let me answer number 4, because my dogs are better behaved than children and cuter :)

As a mother of four boys, whom I admit weren't all A students (as many on these boards claim in order to justify taking kids out of school---if there are so many A students, why are our schools failing and falling behind most countries in the world), no matter what behavior we demanded they use, in reality it just wasn't the case---every one of our boys had some kind of issue at some point, especially our third son who contributed to my gray hair. Every kid shows poor judgement at some time or another, but when the poor judgement is the norm rather than the exception, that's when there are problems. There are a few constants that explain bad behavior, one of which is when a parent abrogates their responsibility of being a parent and another is when parents want to be their child's friend rather than a parent.

But what really galls me on these boards is when individuals always throw this comment: "We encounter obnoxious drunks on our cruises.......". While we have encountered our fair share of those who've imbibed too much, not once have those individuals negatively impacted our cruise, but out of control and unsupervised kids most definitely HAVE negatively impacted our cruises. A drunk hasn't pushed my husband (who'd disabled) into a hall wall while running around like crazed pumas. A drunk didn't knock on our cabin door at 3am nearly every night. A drunk didn't get into a full fledged food fight in the buffet. A drunk didn't put a breakfast menu on our door and have nearly everything on the menu delivered to our cabin at 6am.

I'll take a group of drunk adults on a cruise anytime (because the cruise line security people DO tend to handle drunks, but they don't do a darned thing about kids) before going on a ship full of kids.

WOW....so crying babies are now a reason to complain?? How about a breathing baby?? How about a crying child?? Or maybe a child is too happy for your liking...will that get me kicked off the ship too??????

Come on !!!! It's not just crying babies, as we all know babies cry. But it's crying babies who's parents don't remove them from the theater, or the parent who won't remove a screaming baby from the dining room, or the parent who doesn't do a darned thing to find a way to calm a screaming infant, who does this hours on end, in the cabin next to yours night after night, causing sleepless nights.

How would you like to have spent $10,000 on a two week cruise, only to have infant twins in the cabin next door, cry every single night, hours on end, for the entire 14 nights? I defy you, or anyone else on this board, to say you wouldn't be upset with that.

we book with Celebrity as we were told they didn't "encourage" children :)

We know they cant say No and that RCCL, NCL, carnival disney etc were much more suited to children and hoped that parents would choose them to suit the children.

It isn't that I don't like kids but I work with them daily so on vacation I want peace and quiet and as as few kids as possible. So far on celebrity this has worked for us. We are just off Eclipse and there were very few children. We tend to sail in Sept in the hope they are all at school though some parents obviously take their children out of school at this time which just shocks me as it is the start of their school year.

If they don't encourage childern why they have kids sail free offers ?

you really think all kids are like yours ? :eek:

Come on !!!! It's not just crying babies, as we all know babies cry. But it's crying babies who's parents don't remove them from the theater, or the parent who won't remove a screaming baby from the dining room, or the parent who doesn't do a darned thing to find a way to calm a screaming infant, who does this hours on end, in the cabin next to yours night after night, causing sleepless nights.

How would you like to have spent $10,000 on a two week cruise, only to have infant twins in the cabin next door, cry every single night, hours on end, for the entire 14 nights? I defy you, or anyone else on this board, to say you wouldn't be upset with that.

And we can do without the breast feeding at the table in the buffet and MDR, too. BOTH of which we have seen (but not on Celebrity. Yet.)

I think parents become numb and then oblivious to the screaming or crying. I was in a specialty restaurant on another cruise line and there was this beautiful little girl about 4 and she kept saying “mommy” over and over again, probably about twenty times. The mother was carrying on a conversation with the others at the table and didn’t respond. I wanted to yell out, at least acknowledge that your daughter is calling you, because she just wants to be part of the conversation. I didn’t, but was darn close to it.

Also, I just read a review about a child throwing a tantrum and screaming every night in the MDR on Celebrity. Nothing was done, the parents let this child do this night after night after night. The poster said they complained after it had gone on for 10 nights. Did the parents not hear it, did the parents not care about others. BTW, it never stopped, even after the reviewers husband said something to the parents.

We all pay a lot for our vacations and we don't want the experienced ruined by anyone's behavior, it doesn't matter if it is a child or adult.

This just cracks me up. The Celebrity staff have no issues with kids and love to interact with them. Most of them have family and are working away from them 6 months at a time. It is the adults, the chronic complainers, who they despise.

The poster makes it appear like lord of the flies on the ship. All he/she is trying to do is to discourage new cruisers with families from seeing the wonders of Celebrity. The more families the merrier.

ok......unruly children in MDR, out of line. Unruly or ignored children full stop, down to parents.

All i am saying, is that not all children misbehave and not all parents stand by idly allowing their children to run riot. I most certainly would not tolerate misbehaved children at dinner, or a food fight, or running around at any hour annoying other passengers. When i take my children next year, they will NOT be removed from school. it is during our half term. And they will NOT be annoying my fellow passengers. :D

In the above mentioned cases, surely the complaint should be about the parents, NOT the children????

have never yet met a child who would say No to climbing walls, skating rinks, a very child friendly environment...given the option.....so why not give them the option....

perhaps kids should experience this kind of enviroment first and then if they tell their parents they prefer to go back to a fun factory , a parent should begin to be concerned.....

Well let me introduce you to my 7 year old and my 8 year old. My kids have been on Carnival Dream, Freedom of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, and HAL Eurodam. Their favourite cruise? Eurodam! Go figure, children were given their choice and they chose the cruise without the waterslides and rockclimbing walls flowrider. HAL operates one of the best kid's clubs at sea .... of course, we haven't sailed X yet.

I don't expect anyone to tolerate poor behaviour from my kids because I won't. My kids are well behaved, they don't run and scream, and they don't bellyflop in the pool. They use their inside voices. They LOVE the entertainment on cruises and are happy to sit and listen to live music. We enjoy conversation together at dinner time, and they eat in the main dining room every night and they respect the dress code too.

Like others have noted, my children are frequently engaged by the ship's officers and various crew, who are often missing their own families.

I'm not saying that there aren't unruly children on board cruise ships. There are and we have all seen them. I am frequently complemented by other passengers regarding how well-behaved my children are. Of course, they tell me that because it is in comparison to those children who aren't so well behaved.

But that is not the topic of this thread. The OP asked if her child would like Celebrity, and this has digressed into a discussion on whether or not children are welcomed on Celebrity. Clearly, there are passengers who don't want children on board Celebrity ships, but that is the opinion of a select few passengers, many of whom seem to think they know what all children want. Just as some adults are better suited to Carnival, RCL, or Celebrity .... so to are some children better suited to one cruiseline over another. Simple.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

As a mother of four boys, whom I admit weren't all A students (as many on these boards claim in order to justify taking kids out of school) . . .
while I hate to burst your bubble, there are some kids out there who do get straight A's -- and dissing those of us who have raised such kids by saying we "claim" is really not constructive. My DD worked very hard to maintain her GPA and if, as a family, we determined that she could miss a day or two of school for whatever reason, it is my family's decision.

. . . no matter what behavior we demanded they use, in reality it just wasn't the case---every one of our boys had some kind of issue at some point, especially our third son who contributed to my gray hair. . . .
Perhaps, in your family's case, your family should have decided that you could not do certain activities. And I hope you did.

During our DD's final band trip this year, as head chaperone, my DH did end up making two boys sleep on the floor of their hotel room one night so their chaperone could bunk in to make certain they stayed quiet. All four boys in the room got to spend the next day (when we were at an amusement park for a large portion of the day) with my DH -- who does NOT "do" any rides. Each of the boys had to call their parents to explain what they had done (they were loud, and continued to be loud after being warned). The parents all took this very seriously - and each of the boys were punished once they got home which included each of the boys doing chores for both my husband and their chaperone.

I have discovered after 15 years of being a scout leader and youth soccer board member, and 8 years of band trips and curling trips, and countless other chaperoning/supervising of kids -- that 98% of the parents do take their kids' behavior very seriously. Some kids can be a real handful - but if you work to figure out what "gets" to them, you can usually get through to them.

But you are right there are some parents who just do not care. And there are some kids who are just incorragible.

. . .But what really galls me on these boards is when individuals always throw this comment: "We encounter obnoxious drunks on our cruises.......". While we have encountered our fair share of those who've imbibed too much, not once have those individuals negatively impacted our cruise, but out of control and unsupervised kids most definitely HAVE negatively impacted our cruises.
My experience has been pretty much the exact opposite. While I have encountered situations where a fussy toddler has interrupted my meal prior to its being "whisked" out of the room, and I have had to "excuse" myself to get by a knot of tweens camped out in a stairwell. I have never been awoken at 2:30am by a kid pounding on my stateroom door demanding for me to let them in, but I was threatened by some drunk one morning (who, turns out, was one deck off). And I have been physically knocked down by a 250lb drunk who tripped getting onto the elevator, . . . so yes, drunken adults have negatively impacted my cruises.

But I'm not saying we need dry cruise lines (First, they would be WAY too expensive :) and secondly, 98% of the pax who drink are perfectly able to drink in moderation). So anyone who is saying that because a few badly behaved kids have disturbed their cruise that that is reason to not have any kids on a cruise, may be over reacting.

Edited by Onessa

:mad:

while I hate to burst your bubble, there are some kids out there who do get straight A's -- and dissing those of us who have raised such kids by saying we "claim" is really not constructive. My DD worked very hard to maintain her GPA and if, as a family, we determined that she could miss a day or two of school for whatever reason, it is my family's decision.

Perhaps, in your family's case, your family should have decided that you could not do certain activities. And I hope you did.

During our DD's final band trip this year, as head chaperone, my DH did end up making two boys sleep on the floor of their hotel room one night so their chaperone could bunk in to make certain they stayed quiet. All four boys in the room got to spend the next day (when we were at an amusement park for a large portion of the day) with my DH -- who does NOT "do" any rides. Each of the boys had to call their parents to explain what they had done (they were loud, and continued to be loud after being warned). The parents all took this very seriously - and each of the boys were punished once they got home which included each of the boys doing chores for both my husband and their chaperone.

I have discovered after 15 years of being a scout leader and youth soccer board member, and 8 years of band trips and curling trips, and countless other chaperoning/supervising of kids -- that 98% of the parents do take their kids' behavior very seriously. Some kids can be a real handful - but if you work to figure out what "gets" to them, you can usually get through to them.

But you are right there are some parents who just do not care. And there are some kids who are just incorragible.

My experience has been pretty much the exact opposite. While I have encountered situations where a fussy toddler has interrupted my meal prior to its being "whisked" out of the room, and I have had to "excuse" myself to get by a knot of tweens camped out in a stairwell. I have never been awoken at 2:30am by a kid pounding on my stateroom door demanding for me to let them in, but I was threatened by some drunk one morning (who, turns out, was one deck off). And I have been physically knocked down by a 250lb drunk who tripped getting onto the elevator, . . . so yes, drunken adults have negatively impacted my cruises.

But I'm not saying we need dry cruise lines (First, they would be WAY too expensive :) and secondly, 98% of the pax who drink are perfectly able to drink in moderation). So anyone who is saying that because a few badly behaved kids have disturbed their cruise that that is reason to not have any kids on a cruise, may be over reacting.

I think that is all very well said. Thank you :D