Insurance through RC

My husband and I will hopefully be sailing on Freedom in September. Haven't booked as of yet; we're trying to nail down the dates as this will be a back-to-back for us.

We've always taken out the insurance through RC when we've cruised in the past, but does that insurance cover flights as well? Just wondering if we'd be better off with trip insurance through a different company.

My husband and I will hopefully be sailing on Freedom in September. Haven't booked as of yet; we're trying to nail down the dates as this will be a back-to-back for us.

We've always taken out the insurance through RC when we've cruised in the past, but does that insurance cover flights as well? Just wondering if we'd be better off with trip insurance through a different company.

Cruise care does cover Trip cancellation and Trip Interruption for independently booked air. Please take the time to compare all the options as all people have different needs. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=10

I spent many hours researching this a few months ago. I found that the RCI insurance was expensive and not very good coverage. I got a great policy I found on insure my trip for $50 per person! Had excellent coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by goldgirl2

Yes they do. They paid for my DH flight home after a medical issue, we missed our flights and were booked 2 days later after he was fit to travel.

They paid for his flight but I had to pay for mine, through the claim it was fully reimbursed along with all the other expenses.....hotel, food, my transportation to/from the hotel and hospital.

RC insurance through Berkley is wonderful to work with, they help you every step of the way.

It's generally not a good idea to buy insurance from the same entity you're insuring yourself against.

Whoever RCI uses as an insurer, there must be some financial arrangement there which could make the insurer less than impartial if a sticky claim ever arose.

Better to purchase through a 3rd party who would never face a conflict of interest in representing you, no matter what type of claim.

The sites someone mentioned earlier are good. I typically go through insuremytrip.com. Traveling with my father who has medical issues, I recently looked for a policy with high medical and evacuation limits and found several good ones to compare, but one had limits that blew all others out of the water, and for not much more in premium.

It really does pay to shop around for insurance.

We usually use insuremytrip.com ...fill in your information and compare..better yet, just call them and speak to a rep ...I have always had great reps to talk to that knew so much about the different policies. My husband and I both have preexisting so we buy the insurance within a week or two of booking the cruise so we are covered..If you buy within the preexisting time limit...you are better off..since almost anything can be considered preexisting. That means the insurance co will not look at your previous medical records to decide if a medical event is preexisting or not. If you buy after that time limit then when it says 60 days or 180 days etc for preexisting..that means they can then look back that number of days to see if you were treated for the condition that caused your medical event and perhaps not pay.

Also, buying through a third party there is no conflict as a poster about stated...AND as the price of the cruise increases with airfare, excursions you just call them and they add it on...usually without a price increase.

Good luck..

My husband and I both have preexisting so we buy the insurance within a week or two of booking the cruise so we are covered..If you buy within the preexisting time limit...you are better off..since almost anything can be considered preexisting. That means the insurance co will not look at your previous medical records to decide if a medical event is preexisting or not. If you buy after that time limit then when it says 60 days or 180 days etc for preexisting..that means they can then look back that number of days to see if you were treated for the condition that caused your medical event and perhaps not pay.

This is an EXCELLENT point. Once you book your cruise, get the insurance within 10 days (it may be 14 on some sites -- but I'm saying 10 to be safe) so the pre-existing conditions exclusion will be waived and you'll be covered for any medical need that comes up.

I don't know if ALL insurers offer this, but it's wise to make sure the policy you pick does have it.

In most cases, third party is the same or close to the same as cruise insurance and its coverage is usually better. Particularly in medi-vac. Cruise insurance is limited to $25K which would barely cover any medi-vac unless it was pretty close to the US. If you have kids, some 3rd party insurance covers them for free if sharing a cabin with you. Some private insurance will let you transfer it to another trip if you cancel before you are out any money. It is door to door so no question about air/hotels/prepaid private excursions, etc.

I always feel buying from the cruise line is like the fox watching the chicken coop.

Tucker in Texas