librarians are now internet managers?

silvercruiser

Djptcp, you understood exactly what I was saying. The role of a librarian has evolved and now includes an in-depth understanding of technology. I've had many jobs and several careers during my 53-year working life, and so many of those jobs no longer exist or have been transformed into new jobs as a result of technology. If, in fact, the on-board librarians on HAL's ships are taking on the role of IT support, I would hope they will have an on-line resource to address any systems problems. I have friends who are now on the Amsterdam's Grand World Cruise who have not been able to send messages via internet. It's a mess.

Technical it's a person who holds a MLS (Master of Library Science) or MLIS (Master of Library and Information Science) from an accredited ALA (American Library Association) institution.

To my knowledge as a professional Librarian only Cunard hires MLS/MLIS Librarians for their ships. The person you see working in a HAL Library would most likely qualify as a "para-professional" Library worker in the land based world.

Many small and rural Libraries in the USA are staffed with para-professionals who they call "Librarians" but technically they are not "Librarians"

Anyone who works in a Library no matter what their credentials are needs to have a proficient knowledge of everything computers and the ability to help Library users with their computer needs and questions.

Paul - MLIS/2001 IU-Bloomington

just off the eurodam mar. 30,, I spend a great of time up there on floor 11,,there was no internet manager, and only saw the librarian once at the end of the cruise, the staff at the café, where bombarded with pass. questions, and all they could do as to say sorry,, we had to go to the front desk with our Q.. but that was my only complaint , well maybe,, ( no lobster in the pinnical ),, but I got around that by having double serv. on formal night in the mdr

Edited by maxie99

Last fall on our 42 day Atlantic Adventure on the Maasdam the Librarian had a Master's degree in Library Science.

Certainly a welcome addition on 42 day cruise. He/she is wasting her talents on a cruise ship though.

Another data point -- on Ryndam in Feb this year, we had two separate people for librarian and for internet manager. But, we heard from the librarian that HAL was going to the combined position soon across the fleet (presumably to save money).

I don't think an MLS is really needed for a frankly pretty small on-board library. I remember when the "librarian" was the person who was available that day from the cruise director's staff, or the shore excursions staff, or even a dancer with a sprained ankle. That HAL went for a few years to professional librarians was an innovation, but I can see the point of combining the two positions.

Dave

Another data point -- on Ryndam in Feb this year, we had two separate people for librarian and for internet manager. But, we heard from the librarian that HAL was going to the combined position soon across the fleet (presumably to save money).

I don't think an MLS is really needed for a frankly pretty small on-board library. I remember when the "librarian" was the person who was available that day from the cruise director's staff, or the shore excursions staff, or even a dancer with a sprained ankle. That HAL went for a few years to professional librarians was an innovation, but I can see the point of combining the two positions.

Dave

Dave, that would have been 'KC' & I thought that she was quite pleasant & helpful! She told me that her parents would be coming onboard at the end of the cruise & it would be their first time cruising :):)