Celebrity Millenium

daisymay1960

I have noticed that there isnt much mention of Millenium on the threads , and was curious why. I have been reading the reviews which seem to go from one extreme to another , all the more puzzling/ amusing when it applies to the same trip .

I have found some of the negatives to be entertaining especially one that seemed to be upset that South Asia isnt like the Carribean ?:rolleyes:

I have decided just to read all the negatives them i am bound to be pleasantly surprised:D

Btw we are doing the Southbound Alaska in August

I have only done one cruise before , a Carribean one , really didnt like it , but it wasnt anything to do with the ship or the crew , just picked the wrong trip ( sea sickness ) . And I am determined to overcome it this time

We are also doing Alaska southbound, but in July. So looking forward to this cruise and the millennium. I have been counting down for this cruise since last march when I booked it! Only 103 days until we leave for our land tour portion!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did the southbound Millie trip last year in June - before all the propulsion problems. It was a fantastic trip! My only complaint was the service during Select Dining was way too slow. It had to be the worst service we had the entire trip, but it didn't diminish our fun or tarnish everything else about the trip.

Bonedoc - enjoy your land trip. We did a week inland prior to the cruise also. So beautiful and so different depending on where you are. Are you doing the tour on your own or thru =X=?

We did a cruise tour last August. We started out on the Millie, but we were on the cruise that got stuck in Ketchikan. I often thought that I missed a great marketing opportunity by not getting a T shirt printed that read, " I Spent a Millennium in Ketchikan." The logo would have been a cruise ship tied up like Gulliver in Lilliput. It sure beats the heck out of being stranded in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico though.

It may have been because we were on a tour after the cruise portion, but I have no big complaints. What you tend to see on these boards, for the most parts, and like chigger bites verses getting your arm cut off.

I will tell you that the way Celebrity treated us is the reason we took our second cruise and have now booked our third cruise.

FWIW, when you're in the Inland Passage, we found that the best place to sit and watch the world go by is in the Cosmos Lounge. You may want to invest in a good set of binoculars – I got a good set of Leupold 8x30’s at Gander Mountain. I went shopping on a rainy day. You’d be surprised at the quality of the optics from brand to brand.

I hope this helps.

We were on Millie in Asia and although there were problems, none detracted from the cruise experience. Other ships in the X fleet are more "glitzy" where Millie is the "comfy armchair". Its all down to personal preference and expectations. Enjoy.

I too am glad to hear some nice things about Millie. Sometimes it does feel suspiciously quiet.

We were on the first cancelled cruise last August...trying for a repeat this July and cannot wait for our Southbound Alaska cruise. We are doing the land tour through X as well.

I love hearing about her adventures through SE Asia, but it is funny how there can be such differing views from the same sailings. To each his own, I guess.

Personally, we go with the flow and I cannot imagine having a bad cruise, no matter what happens. Happy Sailing!

We are doing the cruise tour 5B with X, which begins in anchorage for 5 days. So looking forward to the cruise. I have to say, it would be a huge disappointment to have our vacation cancelled, so can understand some of the frustrations I have read, but I think that we would be ones to make the most of it (at least I hope we would be). Hopefully nothing will go wrong this summer. I am thinking we will be spending quite a bit of time on our balcony (with either a coffee or a cocktail, depending on the time of day) watching the world sail by.

We did a cruise tour last August. We started out on the Millie, but we were on the cruise that got stuck in Ketchikan. I often thought that I missed a great marketing opportunity by not getting a T shirt printed that read, " I Spent a Millennium in Ketchikan." The logo would have been a cruise ship tied up like Gulliver in Lilliput. It sure beats the heck out of being stranded in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico though.

It may have been because we were on a tour after the cruise portion, but I have no big complaints. What you tend to see on these boards, for the most parts, and like chigger bites verses getting your arm cut off.

I will tell you that the way Celebrity treated us is the reason we took our second cruise and have now booked our third cruise.

FWIW, when you're in the Inland Passage, we found that the best place to sit and watch the world go by is in the Cosmos Lounge. You may want to invest in a good set of binoculars – I got a good set of Leupold 8x30’s at Gander Mountain. I went shopping on a rainy day. You’d be surprised at the quality of the optics from brand to brand.

I hope this helps.

We are planning a trip to Alaska this year and was curious if the problems last year were rectified such that it is almost guaranteed not to repeat this year? Anyone here know the extent of the repairs and if things are 100% operational again??

I guess nothing is 100%, but I have not heard of any issues concerning the millennium since last summer. We are doing the land tour portion first, mainly so that we can get the go go go part out of the way (when we have more energy), and then sit back and enjoy luxury for the second week and basically do as little or as much as we want. :)

....... What you tend to see on these boards, for the most parts, and like chigger bites verses getting your arm cut off.

That is the funniest comment of the day! Yes, I feel the same way. I am going on my first Celebrity cruise in June, also to Alaska on Millennium. I am quite happy with the choice, and despite and respect those who didn't have as good of an experience as they had hoped I think I will love my cruise.

Edited by Scubaqn

I was on Millie last August stuck in Ketchikan. We LOVED the ship. I did not find it to be outdated at all (maybe just the cheesy steps in the atrium or whatever it's called, but I'm sure that's hard to renovated....and we barely really saw them because they pretty much only go to guest services, which we didn't need). We loved the entire staff. There was one bartender in the Rendezvous Lounge that wasn't great, but even he did what was needed. We loved our cabin attendant. Our maitre'd in Blu never learned our cabin number, but the one time there was a wait he had us go to Rendezvous and then found us by face when our table was ready, and he always tried to get us the best seat, knowing we would wait a few extra minutes if a better one was about to open. We ate in the MDR only once for lunch, and it was a disappointment, but I never heard complaints from other guests. Our drink server was excellent and knew our orders a few days in whether we were at dinner or at a lounge. One particular server in Blu was so good that we only had him once but he was able to tell me daily what to order because he knew my preferences from that one encounter!! We felt pampered during the whole situation. The only problem came when we were transported out of Ketchikan to our post-cruise land tour (and the fact that because we had a land tour, our cruise portion was secretly and mysteriously discounted, so the refund we got would not have paid for half of the same cruise), and that certainly can't be blamed on the ship. We loved it so much that we're taking her trans-Pacific voyage in May from Tokyo to Vancouver....a 14-night cruise with only three ports of call!!!! We're hoping we have much of the same crew. Enjoy!

I have noticed that there isnt much mention of Millenium on the threads ,

Btw we are doing the Southbound Alaska in August

We are on a SB Alaska cruise on Millennium in June. This will be the 6th time on Millennium. I must really like the ship, or I am the perfect example of insanity. :cool:

We were on the Millenium last month in Asia (Singapore to Hong Kong) and after seeing all the really negative press last year, I was kinda nervous :confused:.. I thought it was great. It isn't as glitzy as some of the newer ships, but it was comfortable, it was clean and everyone was as nice as they could be. Interestingly, the only rude person I met was working at the Guest Services desk, so we thought that was funny... I thought the entertainment was actually pretty good and was really happy with the different areas you could "hang" in... We were in Aqua class and LOVED it.... Blu was like a mini-main dining area and the service was really great..... Loved it, loved it, loved it... Y'all will have a great time on your upcoming cruises.... We did the north bound Alaska cruise on a sister ship of the Millenium a few years ago - loved that one, too!! :D

... respect those who didn't have as good of an experience as they had hoped ....

It is my opinion that many of these people have themselves to blame for their dissatisfaction. Some people wouldn't be happy even if the cruise was free, they were treated like royalty, everything was done for them, and they were given everything they asked for. They would still find something to complain about. Unfortunately, many of these unpleasant people have found their way to Cruise Critic and use these forums to make sure everyone knows EXACTLY how dissatisfied they were.

Edited by boogs

Spent 30 wonderful days B2B Panama Canal out of San Diego. Unfortunately, that itinerary is now available only by originating in FL & DW doesn't want to fly any more.:( We're looking forward to B2B Vancouver-Seward in May/June. We love Millie!:)

We are doing the cruise tour 5B with X, which begins in anchorage for 5 days. So looking forward to the cruise. I have to say, it would be a huge disappointment to have our vacation cancelled, so can understand some of the frustrations I have read, but I think that we would be ones to make the most of it (at least I hope we would be). Hopefully nothing will go wrong this summer. I am thinking we will be spending quite a bit of time on our balcony (with either a coffee or a cocktail, depending on the time of day) watching the world sail by.

I' m excited for you! We did Alaska on Princess in 2012 and really had a great time...but we only did a 3 day cruise tour, wasn't enough, so we are leaning toward the Millenium for 2015. If you are going to Denali on your land tour, where is X putting you up? Looking forward to your response.

We are planning a trip to Alaska this year and was curious if the problems last year were rectified such that it is almost guaranteed not to repeat this year? Anyone here know the extent of the repairs and if things are 100% operational again??

I am going in a group of 4 and we have discussed what happened last year .If by any freak chance it happened again , we said we would get off the boat and and make our way back to Vancouver , it would be an adventure !

We are also doing a land tour , but its a diy one . We are flying to Fairbanks for a couple of nights driving down to Denali for 3 nights then anchorage for a night , and then having 2 nights in Vancouver .

The good thing about touring about is if you dont like one part , it doesnt matter because you arent there long

We sailed on Millie last year and she was a great ship! We wouldn't hesitate to sail her again. We were in Blu and the food was great, the buffet was very good as well. The rooms were in decent shape and the overall ship seemed to be in good shape as well. Sure - it isn't a brand new ship, but it's still a nice ship that I would go on again in a second. Martini bar was awesome!

I' m excited for you! We did Alaska on Princess in 2012 and really had a great time...but we only did a 3 day cruise tour, wasn't enough, so we are leaning toward the Millenium for 2015. If you are going to Denali on your land tour, where is X putting you up? Looking forward to your response.

I believe we are staying in McKinley lodge for our Denali stay. We have two nights there.