**help** He said what??? Cancel?

Heartbreak!

Dh stated he doesn't want our ds to miss school in November. He's an "A" student and hasn't had any problems in the past missing school for vacations. We are not leaving during any major tests scheduled but DH is still concerned due to ds's chronic ear infections. He's afraid he may end up missing more school.

With that all said, dh thinks we should cancel the cruise in November. I don't want to.

There is a small chance that dh & I can go and have someone home to watch ds. (fingers crossed)

We are currently booked ES in a spa cabin. What are the best options? We were paid in full, but then I upgraded us to another cabin, so now we owe just a tiny bit more so no longer paid in full.

What are our options? Rebook? Cancel? Just the 2 of us go if we can. Just cancel 3rd passenger?

Thanks for your advice regarding canceling.

No, I don't need judgements regarding missing school. I only need info regarding canceling the ES cruise etc.

I think this may be a personal decision. What works for my family may be completely different than what will work for you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Because you are before your final payment date, you do have several options, with small penalties. If you rebook for a later time, you will lose $50 each as a penalty. The remainder of the deposit amount would be applied toward the rebooked cruise. If you just cancel & you don't rebook yet, that amount would be held for any future cruise. Whatever you have paid above the deposit amounts could either be refunded or applied to the rebooked cruise.

If you cancel only your son, you will again lose $50 as a penalty. The remainder of the deposit would be held for a future cruise, but according to the rules, you cannot use it for this cruise. It would have to go toward another one. If you go this route & it turns out that you then have paid more money than is owed on the room, you can ask for a refund of the amount you overpaid. I don't know if they automatically refund it or if there is an option to use it as OBC. Once you become 2 people in a 3-person room, the slight possibility exists that you could get bumped into a double room. For November cruises during school, it's less likely than in a more high demand time. I hope everything works out for you.

Edited by k2excursion

Because you are before your final payment date, you do have several options, with small penalties. If you rebook for a later time, you will lose $50 each as a penalty. The remainder of the deposit amount would be applied toward the rebooked cruise. If you just cancel & you don't rebook yet, that amount would be held for any future cruise. Whatever you have paid above the deposit amounts could either be refunded or applied to the rebooked cruise.

If you cancel only your son, you will again lose $50 as a penalty. The remainder of the deposit would be held for a future cruise, but according to the rules, you cannot use it for this cruise. It would have to go toward another one. If you go this route & it turns out that you then have paid more money than is owed on the room, you can ask for a refund of the amount you overpaid. I don't know if they automatically refund it or if there is an option to use it as OBC. Once you become 2 people in a 3-person room, the slight possibility exists that you could get bumped into a double room. For November cruises during school, it's less likely than in a more high demand time. I hope everything works out for you.

In the past it was reported that if you paid for another's cruise (son) then you (parents) would be able to use the deposit monies. Need to call about this.

The right answer is what you decide is best.

In the past it was reported that if you paid for another's cruise (son) then you (parents) would be able to use the deposit monies. Need to call about this.

The right answer is what you decide is best.

Yes, since the parents pay, they can use those funds for themselves. But I don't think they can apply it to the exact same cruise. This happened to friends of mine, who paid for their dad, but then had to cancel the dad, and the dad didn't go on another cruise. My friends got to use the funds for themselves, but not on that cruise. They had to use it for a future cruise. So according to my friends experience, the OP could use the funds for themselves on a later cruise, whether the son was with them or not. But it couldn't hurt to ask, to see if Carnival would let them use it on this cruise.

Obviously, the decision rests with the OP. But they seemed to only be curious as to the penalties & how everything worked with the various options.

I dont know about your sons school, but my sons school has a paper that I can sign him out with and can get the whole time excused as long as he is learning something along the way.. visitng another counrty, seeing other custom and such. His teachers can also send his school work along with him!! IDK if your son makes good grades he needs a vaction cruise too:D

I'm a teacher… I say take him with you! Really, kids learn so much more in a week traveling than they would a week in the classroom… sure he might have a couple of math papers to make up or something… But traveling is a wonderful teacher!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd say let him miss school. We pulled both our girls for a Disney cruise for a week, now granted, it was in May and the school year was almost over but its a trip of a lifetime. Unless your DS is doing finals, he probably won't miss much. They grow up so fast and the time where he still wants to go on vacation with his parents is important. Good luck

I dont know about your sons school, but my sons school has a paper that I can sign him out with and can get the whole time excused as long as he is learning something along the way.. visitng another counrty, seeing other custom and such. His teachers can also send his school work along with him!! IDK if your son makes good grades he needs a vaction cruise too:D

This really depends on your school system. Where my daughter goes to school they have a strict policy against this and even state in the handbook that taking the children out of school for family trips is frowned upon and that assignments will not be provided/work cannot be made up.

Life is too short...go for it. Tell your hubby to relax! Your son isn't going to fail at life because of missing a week of school. :D

Sounds like all of you could use a vacay...enjoy it, have fun, make memories. School will be there! :-P

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Life is too short...go for it. Tell your hubby to relax! Your son isn't going to fail at life because of missing a week of school. :D

Almost Packed,

I agree with magsbags, but I also agree that whatever you decide is the best decision. There are no wrong decisions. IMO your husband is wrong, but that's just my opinion and not stated as fact. :)

Specifically in regard to the ear infection; Salt water is the BEST treatment and will help significantly. Granted the ear will need to be dried afterwards, but the salt will help pull any infection out and will open up the sinus passages thus allowing for better ear health. Your husband mentioned the ear infections so toss the ball back in his court so to speak. ;) We dispense antibiotics all the time for ear / sinus infections, but the fact is (And recently studies further prove) that salt water is actually effective, and antibiotics aren't really beneficial.

Almost Packed,

I agree with magsbags, but I also agree that whatever you decide is the best decision. There are no wrong decisions. IMO your husband is wrong, but that's just my opinion and not stated as fact. :)

My opinon as well. I believe the trip is educational in itself and certainly is worth a week out of school to an A student.

I regularly took both of my (now grown) A student children out of school for vacations, of course this was back in the 70's; there was a lot less grumbling about it from the schools than there is now I would bet.

Kevin C

I didn't see you mention how old your son is, and I know ear infections are a concern which I can't comment on, but I did want to share that just today I notified my 2 kids' teachers (3rd and 5th grade) that we are pulling them out for a week to go on a cruise, and both teachers cheered for us, much as the teacher above in this thread did. They support us completely. Thankfully our school isn't like someone above posted where they prohibit this.

What happens if OP's son is just a no show?

They'd lose his entire portion of the cruise fare. Since it's before final payment date, they can cancel him with just the ES penalty. They still lose money, but a lot less than if they wait until after final payment date or sail date.

No real wrong answer here, but I say go and take him with you. He will learn more on, and remember more of, the cruise than the week of school. There is simply no substitute for travel. Being exposed to new food, smells, adults, social situations, cultures, peers and all the rest of the things that go with traveling are life lessons and they don't teach those in any school the way that travel does.

They'd lose his entire portion of the cruise fare. Since it's before final payment date, they can cancel him with just the ES penalty. They still lose money, but a lot less than if they wait until after final payment date or sail date.

Thanks! Now I know what to do I'd ever in a similar situation.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

okay, since it came up anyways...here's the scoop. ds is 9. He has chronic ear infections-he has tubes now. Currently his 2nd or 3rd set. I cannot remember. Salt water or any water is a no go for kids with tubes. So that doesn't help.

The point of me mentioning his ear infections is that they sometimes cause him to miss school. Therefore, he's missed one week for the cruise, and then who knows how many more.

When he was younger it really wasn't an issue but in November he'll be in 4th grade. Work gets harder. He's always been great about making up work and our school has been great about giving him his work. He just gets unexcused absenses. I make him do the work regardless of getting credit for it or not.

I had our cruise paid in full. I meant to pay deposits only when I booked it online but ended up paying it off in full with my credit card. Then a month or so later I upgraded us to a spa cabin. I didn't have to pay anymore at that time. So all that is left to be paid on the cruise was the $300 or so left from the upgrade.

I love cruising with my kids. I also love just dh & I. If we have a chance to cruise the 2 of us, I'd prefer that.

So what would be the best way if we decide not to take ds? Options on that is what I'm curious about. I've heard people say don't cancel just be a no show. Can I get my money back? Am I paid in full or not because I was, but then upgraded? those are my questions.

Thanks.

p.s. I have no problem with kids out of school for vacation. I could really just "put my foot down" on the subject lol. :eek: :cool: But I do like the idea of going just the 2 of us.

Edited by Almost Packed

It is a personal decision but I took our kids out for a week before Thanksgiving when they were in high school. We got their assignments, spoke to their teachers and made sure it was an excused absence. Both boys wrote a paper on life in Belize and Roaton?. Teachers really liked the boys showing what they learned and saw in these countries.

Go in peace and live well with what ever decision you make.

okay, since it came up anyways...here's the scoop. ds is 9. He has chronic ear infections-he has tubes now. Currently his 2nd or 3rd set. I cannot remember. Salt water or any water is a no go for kids with tubes. So that doesn't help.

The point of me mentioning his ear infections is that they sometimes cause him to miss school. Therefore, he's missed one week for the cruise, and then who knows how many more.

When he was younger it really wasn't an issue but in November he'll be in 4th grade. Work gets harder. He's always been great about making up work and our school has been great about giving him his work. He just gets unexcused absenses. I make him do the work regardless of getting credit for it or not.

I had our cruise paid in full. I meant to pay deposits only when I booked it online but ended up paying it off in full with my credit card. Then a month or so later I upgraded us to a spa cabin. I didn't have to pay anymore at that time. So all that is left to be paid on the cruise was the $300 or so left from the upgrade.

I love cruising with my kids. I also love just dh & I. If we have a chance to cruise the 2 of us, I'd prefer that.

So what would be the best way if we decide not to take ds? Options on that is what I'm curious about. I've heard people say don't cancel just be a no show. Can I get my money back? Am I paid in full or not because I was, but then upgraded? those are my questions.

Thanks.

p.s. I have no problem with kids out of school for vacation. I could really just "put my foot down" on the subject lol. :eek: :cool: But I do like the idea of going just the 2 of us.

It doesn't matter or not whether your cruise is actually paid in full. What matters is the timing, or the final payment date. If you cancel your son before the final payment date (typically 75 days before sailing, for a 7-day), all you will lose is $250. $50 of that will be lost forever, and the other $200 will be held towards a future cruise (I think they hold it for 2 years, not sure on the timing). You should get a refund on anything you've paid toward his fare, over and above the $250. If you cancel all 3 of you, you just multiply the above numbers by 3.

If you just go with the flow and have him be a no-show, you will lose his entire cruise fare (nothing held for future cruise).

Edited by CoconutJD

I am not one to pull kids out because my oldest is in middle school and takes advanced classes and it would totally stress her out.

That said....I have an 8 year old who has missed EIGHTEEN days of school this year. She had pneumonia in November and only attended school 3 days that month. :eek: (Thank God for Thanksgiving break!) During that time her teacher flat out refused to send work home because as she said "That baby is sick and needs her rest!" I love her teacher I do.

Despite it all she was able to catch up easily and still has straight A's for the year. At that age, as long as he is not struggling with school already, he can bounce back even if he misses school due to his ears.

But it's a decision you and your husband have to make together keeping in mind that in a few years as middle and high school hit, pulling out for vacation will be more challenging.

Edited by Dreacrusingaway