arriving and departing same day (different ships)

gerry1.10

has anyone arrived and departed on the same day? we are arriving on the RCL Splendour of the Seas on the same day we are embarking on the Jade in Venice. Our plan is to drop all our luggage with NCL jade and go off to visit Venice and come back to check in later in the afternoon?

Has anyone done this? I am assuming the terminals cannot be far from each other. Does anyone know how early luggage can be dropped off in Venice?

thanks

gerry1.10

I don't have the experience, but I will next week.

On April 27, we will disembark from Allure of the Seas (FLL) and then embark on Norwegian Epic (Port of Miami).

I don't want to complicate things so have booked a taxi to transfer directly from FLL to POM.

Hope you have great cruises and smooth transfer!

No, but I actually had a dream last night we got off the Dawn and onto the Gem after a trip at the same port. That isn't even possible where those two ships are scheduled so my mind is a bit messed up.

I am assuming the terminals cannot be far from each other. Does anyone know how early luggage can be dropped off in Venice?

Sorry, I can't help you but just that you know, the terminals can be on other sides of the U-shaped piers and that means quite a walk between them but it certainly is doable - especially in the morning when it's not too hot (in summer time).

Last summer when we embarked on Jade, there were four ships in port and we embarked from different pier than two other ships (at least one of them was a Carnival ship).

I don't have the experience, but I will next week.

On April 27, we will disembark from Allure of the Seas (FLL) and then embark on Norwegian Epic (Port of Miami).

I don't want to complicate things so have booked a taxi to transfer directly from FLL to POM.

Hope you have great cruises and smooth transfer!

We have doe this, almost, but the other way around.

OP, in 2011 we got off the epic in miami, and travelled up to Fll and got on the oasis. It was easy enough, Literally got off one ship, got a taxi up to the next port and got straight on. I guess it depends on how much time you have between sailings??

We sort of did this last year. Disembarked the Spirit and embarked the Jade in Venice. Both ships were docked beside each other so it was very easy to get to the next terminal. Having said that, I don't know where RCL normally docks and there could be some shuttle issues getting to the proper terminals.

You may end up playing shuttle tag to get where you need to go which will eat up any spare time you might have to see Venice, and you won't be alone, there will definitely be lineups.

You didn't say when embarkation time is on the Jade, if it's the 12 day Grand Med. to Barcelona, it doesn't leave til 1am which will give you lots of of time to see some of Venice. If it's a round trip, why don't you just book a day or 2 after you return to Venice, there's just so much to see and do that allowing just a few hours wouldn't do it justice.

I think your taking a chance trying to see Venice with such a short window between cruises, don't forget you still have to find a way to get to where the Gondola's are, go to what ever to wanted to see, and then find your way back to the terminal to board in time. If it's busy with other ships in port ( when we returned on the jade there was a total of 15,000 pax disembarking/ embarking and it was a zoo) it will be very difficult to get around with no delays.

Enjoy your cruise.

cheers...the Ump...:D

edit: luggage drop off is available fairly early, we disembarked the Jade around 9:30 ( had a flight home @ 6pm so we decided to wait for the shuttle to the airport inside the terminal) went to the terminal embarkation entrance for the Jade and we could see the luggage drop off area and there were a lot of bags waiting to go so it shouldn't be a problem there.

Edited by umpy10