FOTS - Human Characters walking around

I have seen some pictures of different ones reviews. In these pictures, there seem to be some human beings walking around in different character costumes. Can you tell me what this is all about?

When the Dreamworks experience first started on Oasis, I thought, "Great...I can look forward to being assaulted by Shrek. If I wanted to be annoyed by a cartoon character, I'd take a Disney cruise." I was way wrong. The "characters" are around for specific photo ops and functions and are a big part of the Royal Promenade parades. I found that I actually enjoyed seeing them around the ship interacting with children of all ages.

Dreamworks Experience. Some of the Dreamworks characters (mostly from Madagascar) do events on the Oasis ships and I think just Freedom from that class.

Liberty of the Seas as well.

Ok, so these Dreamworks characters are seen every day on the cruise for children, or just a certain day, or what? What if a grownup wants to take a picture with them?:) After all, I am YOUNG at heart.:)

Ok, so these Dreamworks characters are seen every day on the cruise for children, or just a certain day, or what? What if a grownup wants to take a picture with them?:) After all, I am YOUNG at heart.:)

No problem getting photos with grownups.:)

They are around....you just have to look for them. Yes, they will take a picture with you. They don't discriminate against age. :rolleyes:

When the Dreamworks experience first started on Oasis, I thought, "Great...I can look forward to being assaulted by Shrek. If I wanted to be annoyed by a cartoon character, I'd take a Disney cruise." I was way wrong. The "characters" are around for specific photo ops and functions and are a big part of the Royal Promenade parades. I found that I actually enjoyed seeing them around the ship interacting with children of all ages.

It is the same way on Disney. You are not assaulted.

My wife and I are in our mid 50's and while we like Disney we are not fanatics but their cruises are very good.

Bill

Check your cruise compass: they list the appearances for that day. Photo ops are usually after first seating dinner, 7:30 PM. They will bring out 2 characters for this.

Character breakfast- You need to reserve this. The characters will come round to each table for a photo op. Royal will soon be charging a fee for this.

The character "handlers" will gladely take a photo for you with your camera.

You can also ask the handlers about which characters will appear next. They have a list and they might be able to tell you (if they brought the list with them, that is).

You can also take pictures during shows and parades, but it's not the time they will pose with you for a pic.

This is how we saw then on Allure and Oasis. I imagine it would be the same for FOTS.

Here's a list of characters I saw, though I might of forgotten some. The ones in bold were available to pose for a pic with us in them, at one time or another. I did miss some apperances though.

Characters in full costume:

Madagascar: Alex, King Julien, Private, Skipper, Mort, Gloria

Shrek: Shrek, Princess Fiona, Puss in Boots

How to Tame Your Dragon: Fishlegs, Snotlout, Stoic, Gobber

Characters in partial costume (actors wore a wig, face uncovered):

How to Tame your Dragon: Hiccup, Astrid, Roughnut, Toughnut

Thank you everyone for your responses.

A couple questions. It was mentioned that they come to the "first" seating dinner. We are having the 2nd seating dinner, I wonder if they would come to that one too?

What do you mean by the "character handlers?" Are they people that walk with these costume characters, to make sure they don't fall down or something like that?

It is less than two weeks before we are on this ship, and then I can check these "characters" out.:)

Yes, the handlers are the "humans" that walk with the characters to help direct them and make sure they aren't harassed by fans.

Plenty of adults get photos taken with the characters, but please don't push your way in front of the children....drives me crazy! :D

Thank you everyone for your responses.

A couple questions. It was mentioned that they come to the "first" seating dinner. We are having the 2nd seating dinner, I wonder if they would come to that one too?

What do you mean by the "character handlers?" Are they people that walk with these costume characters, to make sure they don't fall down or something like that?

It is less than two weeks before we are on this ship, and then I can check these "characters" out.:)

They won't come into the MDR at dinner time (no room for them!). They will be in the main promedade in between first and second seating, around 7:30, so people leaving early dinner and people arriving for late dinner with get a chance to see them.

Oh thank you for letting me know what the "handlers" were, which I thought that was what they were. No, I would never get in front of children. It is just special to see how children "react" towards these characters.:)