Can we bring pop onboard?

Pomcoach

I read that we can bring bottled water onboard at embarkation. I love Cherry Coke. Since we are only doing a 4 day cruise, we'd like to bring maybe 12 bottles of water and 8 cans of Cherry Coke/Mountain Dew. Do we need to have it in a suitcase? Or can we just carry it out in plain sight?

Does anyone know if the balcony rooms on the Sky have a mini-fridge?

Now 2 even weirder questions: My husband has a medical condition where he needs to have milk when he eats food. When we used to sail Carnival, we'd grab cartons of milk and have them in the cabin fridge, just in case.

1. Do they serve milk in the Main Dining room, and is it free?

2. Do you think we'll be able to grab some milk cartons from maybe the Buffet area, to take back to our cabin?

Thank you so much, everyone, for reading and any answers you may have. This will be our first Norwegian cruise.

Carrying the water bottles and soda cans loose might be a pain. You'd have to either carry them around until your cabin is ready or check them at whatever place you can check carry-ons on the Sky. You can check water and soda with your luggage, but they should either be in the original package with a luggage tag stuck to it, or in a bag (we used a small rolling duffel last summer) with a luggage tag on it. It will be delivered right to your room if you check it.

I never sailed on the Sky, but I think all of the cabins have the mini-fridge anyway, as it is used as the mini-bar. You can ask your cabin steward to clear out all of the mini-bar items so you can keep your own stuff in there. I don't think they are quite as cold as a real fridge, in terms of keeping any perishables in there for an extended period.

I never asked for milk in the MDR, but I am sure others will answer that for you.

I don't remember seeing milk cartons in the buffet. They have the big stainless steel dispensers with the handle you lift to dispense the milk. If you bring a bottle/tumbler, you can fill cups in the buffet and pour the milk in your own container to bring back to the room.

Enjoy your cruise!

Do we need to have it in a suitcase? Or can we just carry it out in plain sight?

Do we need to have it in a suitcase? Or can we just carry it out in plain sight?

Now 2 even weirder questions: My husband has a medical condition where he needs to have milk when he eats food. When we used to sail Carnival, we'd grab cartons of milk and have them in the cabin fridge, just in case.

2. Do you think we'll be able to grab some milk cartons from maybe the Buffet area, to take back to our cabin?

Thank you so much, everyone, for reading and any answers you may have. This will be our first Norwegian cruise.

Do we need to have it in a suitcase? Or can we just carry it out in plain sight? - You can have it in plain sight. If you bring a case, put a luggage tag on it

Yes, they have mini fridges in the cabins

1. Do they serve milk in the Main Dining room, and is it free? Yes and yes

2. Do you think we'll be able to grab some milk cartons from maybe the Buffet area, to take back to our cabin? I think milk at the buffet comes from the fountain dispenser...Don't quote me! Though it is very easy to order milk from room service (that does come in cartons) and have it delivered to your cabin. We did this for the kids..ordered milk and cookies the first night. They brought so much, we put it in the fridge and had it for the rest of the week.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Water and soda okay to carry on as long as they are originally sealed. Put in rolling duffle so it's easier to carry on. You can slap luggage tags on it and it will get delivered, but I always worry about opening a can after all that jostling around. I wouldn't want to take a cherry coke bath! :D We have done several NCL cruises (we are Platinum) and they have always had milk cartons in the buffet area. However, we have not sailed on the Sky. You can ask for milk in the dining room. (no charge) Hope that helps some.

Thank you for all the wonderful, perfect ideas! We will try to put the bottled water and soda pop in a rolling bag. And either roll it ourselves or put a luggage tag on it, so it will be delivered to our room.

Now we are true Midwesterners and call it "pop". But we couldn't figure out what a "bubbler" is. But after a bit of thought, I think the "bubbler" is maybe the older style drinking fountain that is bubbling with water in the park??? Is that it? Are you laughing at me, or am I right?

Cruise Critic family is the absolute best!

Thank you! Thank you!

I read that we can bring bottled water onboard at embarkation. I love Cherry Coke. Since we are only doing a 4 day cruise, we'd like to bring maybe 12 bottles of water and 8 cans of Cherry Coke/Mountain Dew. Do we need to have it in a suitcase? Or can we just carry it out in plain sight?

Does anyone know if the balcony rooms on the Sky have a mini-fridge?

Yep you can carry on pop, we do it all the time. Water too.

They serve milk in the MDR and I can't see why grabbing a few in the buffet would be an issue.

Now we are true Midwesterners and call it "pop".

Thank you! Thank you!

In Canada we all call it pop which is why I read this thread in the first place. When I saw "pop" in the subject line I thought, "Canadian has a question". I always thought it was soda for you guys. Guess its a regional thing.

Pomcoach, You are a true midwesterner! You got it. Bubblers are indeed a type of drinking fountain made by Kohler (from Kohler, Wisconsin), where the water kind of bubbled from the spout, thus the name. Kohler didn't produce too many and they were only distributed in the midwest. There are a few still around.

We still have "Bubblers" here, as well. As a matter of fact, there are 2 across from my desk in work as I type this. As for "Pop", we here in MA only use that saying for our "lolipops". I have only been on the Epic & they did have small cartons of milk in the buffet. I would take some back to my cabin to have with the Cereal that I also grabbed.

On the Sky, they will have temporary storage for carry ons in Captain Hooks (Deck 6 Mid). It's on the way to the buffet, just drop your baggage off, get a ticket and head on to the buffet. When the rooms are ready just go back to Captain Hooks and get your carry on~

Had to smile about the comments about pop... of course it is pop in the Midwest... No brainer there...

Just remembering when I was a kid working at a KOA Kampground in the store.. .and some camper came in and asked if we had any soda... of course we did...

I went and got some baking soda for him. He was very confused, I wasn't :-).

Yay! I got the bubbler right! You all are so much fun!

My daughter went to college in Arkansas. They asked her what kind of Coke she wanted. She said, "Isn't there another kind? You mean we have a whole big pop machine and all they have is Coke?"

So we call it "pop", but in Arkansas, it's all called Coke. Now that's almost as weird as the baking Soda.

Ha Ha!

Yay! I got the bubbler right! You all are so much fun!

My daughter went to college in Arkansas. They asked her what kind of Coke she wanted. She said, "Isn't there another kind? You mean we have a whole big pop machine and all they have is Coke?"

So we call it "pop", but in Arkansas, it's all called Coke. Now that's almost as weird as the baking Soda.

Ha Ha!

So, like, my Diet Mountain Dew would be called Coke? That's just stupid. It's pop. I'll even take soda. But how can it all be called coke? That's like calling a peanut butter sandwich a burger.

In Canada we all call it pop which is why I read this thread in the first place. When I saw "pop" in the subject line I thought, "Canadian has a question". I always thought it was soda for you guys. Guess its a regional thing.

Here in Massachusetts, it's called tonic. Pop is what happens to the lid, when you shake a tonic bottle.

Very small region of eastern Massachusetts, we used "tonic" as opposed to soda or pop.

Exactly !! I remember I requested tonic once & they brought "Tonic Water". I had to explain that "tonic" is "soda" which is Pepsi, Coke, etc....

That would be like me requesting Hood Ice Cream in the Midwest!

They have always had cartons of milk (plus chocolate flavoured) in the buffet on every NCL cruise I've been on.

We often grab a carton to take back to the cabin for our son later in the day.

The only problem is that on occasion there haven't been many cartons out, so you can't rely on it every day. We don't like to take an extra one if there aren't many there.

Thank you for all the wonderful, perfect ideas! We will try to put the bottled water and soda pop in a rolling bag. And either roll it ourselves or put a luggage tag on it, so it will be delivered to our room.

Now we are true Midwesterners and call it "pop". But we couldn't figure out what a "bubbler" is. But after a bit of thought, I think the "bubbler" is maybe the older style drinking fountain that is bubbling with water in the park??? Is that it? Are you laughing at me, or am I right?

Cruise Critic family is the absolute best!

Thank you! Thank you!

You're right, a bubbler is a water fountain. At work, our our fountains were replaced with water coolers. Far more sanitary, because they require the use of a cup.