Price Drops

icedzz

I would like to hear some other opinions on price dedrops. DH and I booked our 4-26-14 Century cruise while on RCCL last year. Now the price is half of what we paid for it. I have called Celebrity twice and basically, they say I am out of luck. Any suggestions? :mad:

I have never had a problem with price drops unless it was past the full payment date.

There were incidents where there was a price drop but since it was for a different rate code I declined to keep the perks that I had as they were worth more than the decrease in price.

As the other poster suggested, cancel and rebook.

🚢

I would like to hear some other opinions on price dedrops. DH and I booked our 4-26-14 Century cruise while on RCCL last year. Now the price is half of what we paid for it. I have called Celebrity twice and basically, they say I am out of luck. Any suggestions? :mad:

The best deal is usually a upgrade for a small amount of money. What kind of cabin you booked will depend on how much wiggle room you have to upgrade. Good luck, don't let this spoil your cruise.

The OP is well after final payment, cruise is coming up in about 2 weeks, so can't cancel and rebook. The policy of Celebrity (and most if not all of the other major cruise lines) is that there are no refunds or OBC issued for price drops after final payment. However they do sometimes allow you to book a better cabin (which is also now discounted) as long as there is at least a small payment due. It's lousy, but that's the way it is for everyone.

Yes, it's often true that once the final payment date has passed, the prices go down. While it may be frustrating to see that, by reserving your cruise and cabin earlier (possibly for a higher fare) you are assured of space on the dates you want to cruise, as well as your choice of cabin.

Those who are more flexible have the option to wait to book after final payment, but there is no assurance that there will be space if the ship is sold out, and many times the available cabins are limited.

I think if it's going to make you crazy to see the lower prices after final payment, it's probably best not to look at the website :rolleyes:

Yes, it's often true that once the final payment date has passed, the prices go down. While it may be frustrating to see that, by reserving your cruise and cabin earlier (possibly for a higher fare) you are assured of space on the dates you want to cruise, as well as your choice of cabin.

Those who are more flexible have the option to wait to book after final payment, but there is no assurance that there will be space if the ship is sold out, and many times the available cabins are limited.

I think if it's going to make you crazy to see the lower prices after final payment, it's probably best not to look at the website :rolleyes:

Well stated. I'd also add, prices could go up. It's the gamble you take. Choose what you are comfortable with (cabin & price). :)

People booking in the US get a much better deal than here in the UK. Here if a price drops after you have booked and paid your deposit then you get nothing at all. No price reduction, no upgrades just the option to cancel, lose your deposit and consider re-booking at the lower price.

However getting back to the OPs comments, X is a business. If there are some empty cabins it makes sense that they discount them to at least get some income from them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Noting to be done. If they let everyone change their minds last minute then they'd never make any money having everyone call in days before sailing asking for the same prices they are selling the final unsold cabins for.

What a mess that would make.

Supply and demand...

As others said, you have the opportunity to upgrade to a better cabin if available and it has a price higher than yours that you will pay, meaning you may get a superior cannon at a nice discount from its usual fare, but you have committed to X the spend you've agreed to in your cruise contract already, so they have no obligation to void the contract. It's why the cancellation fees are as they are (in this case 100% after final payment).

Here's an example that would really tick someone off. On an upcoming TA I was watching, the PH was selling for 15k, and RS for 12k at one point. Once all the RS were sold, the PH dropped to 11k.

SO the PH is sailing for less then the RS once was, and the RS folks can't upgrade without losing their fare since the higher tier cabin (PH) wont require them to spend any additional money.

That's supply and demand.

However getting back to the OPs comments, X is a business. If there are some empty cabins it makes sense that they discount them to at least get some income from them.

Absolutely!

People booking in the US get a much better deal than here in the UK. Here if a price drops after you have booked and paid your deposit then you get nothing at all. No price reduction, no upgrades just the option to cancel, lose your deposit and consider re-booking at the lower price.

Not true; booked in January on Equinox for 2nd October, balcony stateroom, and 123 offer of classic beverage and free gratuities. In March, both CC and Aqua were less than I paid. Upgraded to Aqua over the phone. Get the March offer of classic beverage, and a reduced price that means I'm still paying less even paying gratuities. So, upgrade and price reduction!

People on here encouraged me to ask; glad I did!

Stuart

.... Now the price is half of what we paid for it. I have called Celebrity twice and basically, they say I am out of luck. Any suggestions? :mad:

Suck it up, and don't ask anyone else on board what they paid for their cabin!:rolleyes: