Do you love aft balcony?

Greenesailor

We have an aft balcony on the Getaway soon and I want to know what you love about aft! We have never stayed aft before but I have heard it is the best location!

Thanks

Aft balcony? Awful, don't stay there, run as fast as you can (best kept secret on the ship)!!!!:)

Aft balcony? Awful, don't stay there, run as fast as you can (best kept secret on the ship)!!!!:)

LOL! Indeed! I've stayed in an aft facing balcony and it's pretty much the only cabin I want to be in quite frankly. I will book a year or more out to ensure I get one of these cabins.

So don't spread the word too much - and let's keep it our little secret - ok? :)

We have an aft balcony on the Getaway soon and I want to know what you love about aft! We have never stayed aft before but I have heard it is the best location!

Thanks

We were upgraded from an ocean view to an aft balcony on one of our cruises. It was incredible. Not just the fact we were facing the wake of the ship but because of the size. We had 2 lounge chairs, a 36 inch table and four chairs. The only reason we've never had another is because of cost. The only downside is that on some ships you lose some privacy and sometimes you get soot from the stack. I would still take another in a heartbeat if the price was the same.

The view, the quiet (little to no foot traffic noise), the sound of the ships wake, the bed faces left or right instead of facing front or back so its more like a swinging motion, than side to side rocking motion while sleeping, usually, very little wind while at sea.... Just to name a few off the top of my head...

I love an aft balcony as well as a balcony/mini suite on the starboard or port side. Different reasons, of course.

Aft balcony I can sit on forever and watch the wake. Little traffic, larger balconies, easy to find the room, little wind, and I'm sure more that I just can't think of at the moment.

Port side or starboard side I love because I can get one in the middle of the ship so I'm in between everything. I love sitting on the balcony and watching people get on and off the ship, the crew shows they put on sometimes outside, the music, the port itself, etc. I can see where I'm going and where I've been.

Depending on where I'm cruising might make the difference of which cabin I choose.

What I learned that I don't like is a forward cabin. I was worried about wind which I shouldn't have been worried about. The only reason I don't like the forward cabin is because the balcony isn't 'glass' and when I'm sitting down I can't see anything except for a little bit of water and the sky.

To really 'look out' I have to always be standing to see over.

Harriet

However, so long as I have one of those cabins....and am on that ship....I'm a happy camper!

But doesn't that mean you can make more trips to the buffet? Or do the trips to the buffet mean you need to get an aft and take the stairs ? :confused:

Sorry, we seldom go to the buffet so don't know about that. :confused:

LuLu

~~~

The only negative is the LONG walk.

LuLu

~~~

Not on the Sun. Will be in my 3rd aft PH in October.

No wind. Love that. Meals on balcony manageable. Quiet. Non issue pretty much if you are a non smoker. Balcony typically larger.

But the best. Hard to explain. The wake. In the daytime it is pleasing and still. But at night it is magical, hypnotic and almost spiritual. Sitting out there in the still darkness, hearing the wake, is something unique and takes me somewhere. No other feeling like it in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But at night it is magical, hypnotic and almost spiritual. Sitting out there in the still darkness, hearing the wake, is something unique and takes me somewhere. No other feeling like it in the world.

So very much this! Completely agree! I don't think I've seen it put into words quite like that.

Only negative of aft balcony is if you are sensative to motion RUN!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

I've got another negative . . . disgusting debris from above. While on the Dawn in the aft our balcony was periodically showered with cigarette ashes from those smokers standing on the public deck above. But the absolute worst: Our DS was out on the balcony laying on a lounge chair when he was hit on his thigh with spit. He immediately looked up and saw a man roughly 50-60 years of age standing above on the public deck looking down at him. When the "spitter" saw our son looking at him the spitter immediately ducked away. Our son could give only us a description of a man with brownish hair in his 50's or early 60's.

I assume it was an accident as the offender probably didn't look below when he decided to spit but I was appalled and couldn't believe someone could be so crass as to at least not apologize.

I've got another negative . . . disgusting debris from above. While on the Dawn in the aft our balcony was periodically showered with cigarette ashes from those smokers standing on the public deck above. But the absolute worst: Our DS was out on the balcony laying on a lounge chair when he was hit on his thigh with spit. He immediately looked up and saw a man roughly 50-60 years of age standing above on the public deck looking down at him. When the "spitter" saw our son looking at him the spitter immediately ducked away. Our son could give only us a description of a man with brownish hair in his 50's or early 60's.

I assume it was an accident as the offender probably didn't look below when he decided to spit but I was appalled and couldn't believe someone could be so crass as to at least not apologize.

Wow. That was so rude. I am sure he felt bad and became a coward. Probably thought his dpit would go out to sea. Just so wrong. Sorry for your son.

But... The Sun is scalloped and my 26 nights so far on the Sun deck 9 aft we never had so much as one napkin come down.

And it is pretty private. Only if you are standing at the rail can those above see you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the wake is simply mesmerizing at night. I could stare at it for hours. We had an aft cabin for our TA on the Gem. We did have the occasional trash/sugar packets, etc. from above. The main problem was the vibration and the very slight side to side sway at the back of the ship made my husband feel queasy every time we were in the cabin, so he doesn't want to do that again. He has no trouble anywhere else on the ship. We have now gone to more forward cabins. We had a front facing balcony a couple of times on the Sun. Loved that!

The view, the quiet (little to no foot traffic noise), the sound of the ships wake, the bed faces left or right instead of facing front or back so its more like a swinging motion, than side to side rocking motion while sleeping, usually, very little wind while at sea.... Just to name a few off the top of my head...

That swinging motion puts you to sleep like an infant...so incredible...best sleep in my life :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've had aft cabins on the Sun and the Epic. We found the Epic to be rougher (the movement even woke me up one night) and the wake was much, much louder. We almost couldn't have a conversation. Didn't have that problem Sun. Of course, the Sun is a perfect ship. :)

I had the same thing happen to me on the Jewel. Teenage kids. My bf was able to catch the kids bc he went out of the cabin and used the staircase next to the cabin which leads right up to the Great Outdoors. I also woke up one morning to a steak on my balcony. I love the aft. I have one booked on the BA this summer and just booked the same aft penthouse I already had on theJewel. The few little mishaps didn't stop me from booking an aft again. So peaceful and relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Leaving on the GEM in 12 days. Booked a balcony, but when the prices dropped, they gave us an AFT balcony on deck 10. I can't wait.

I have a couple of questions for those who have been there before. I've read about a staircase in the back to the Great Outdoors, but don't see it on the deck plans. Can we use it, or not? Also, does this room come with bathrobes?

Thanks!

Jack

Totally agree with other posters. We love the aft balcony. We had the aft suite on the Jade last year and will have the same room on the Jewel next year. The views can't be beat! There's something about being able to look out the back of the ship with nothing to block your view. Just the wake and the ocean. :D