No curling/straightening irons on AMA? Yikes!

ptiprof

I just read in the AMAWaterways Q & A that curling/straightening irons are not allowed. Is that really the case? I don't recall reading that in any of the cruise info. I can completely understand that items such as travel irons and candles are not OK, but my mini travel straightening iron? :confused:

I just read in the AMAWaterways Q & A that curling/straightening irons are not allowed. Is that really the case? I don't recall reading that in any of the cruise info. I can completely understand that items such as travel irons and candles are not OK, but my mini travel straightening iron? :confused:

The AMA website only says that Irons for clothing are prohibited.... NO WHERE does it forbid ladies hair appliances.

On another thread on CC (Carnival, HAL. Or RCCL) there was a a discussion about the Cruiseline "error" of listing curling irons and flat irons. The Cruiseline apologized and admitted this was an error. This happened in Feb or March 2014 and went on for about 3 weeks.

Do you have a link??? I'm pretty sure this is not true!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, that's what AMA said:

"Due to our safety policy, we do not permit straightening and/or curling irons on board."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42390453&postcount=2

Bet you a glass of wine ( :) ) on our next cruise this is a misstatement!!!

If you go to the Q & A they discuss all of this minus the bit about the curling iron and flat iron.

I think the PR Team started drinking early! JMHO

Butttt maybe I'm dead wrong just don't think so... What do men know about our hair appliances anyway??

Edited by nana541

Host Jazzbeau beat me to the response. It is found under the "220 to 110 Electrical Converters" thread. We will be on the AMACerto Black Sea Voyage in May, and I just re-read the Welcome Aboard brochure sent with our final documents. Travel irons are forbidden but NO mention of hair appliances of any type. I find it incredibly hard to believe...DH says he doesn't want to be on a river boat full of women who have just had their appliances confiscated :-)

Oh your husband is a very very wise man!! I do not believe this is correct, somebody goofed!

Oh heck but the glass or glasses of wine would help me to forget about my hair :)

Edited by nana541

I used my curling iron three or four times during my recent AMA cruise, and nobody scolded me, though I'm sure the device was in plain sight among my things. Of course, I verified beforehand that the voltage was compatible, and I used my adapter.

• 2 months later...

We were recently on the Amadagio and I used my flat iron (dual voltage), no problem. You can't use it in the bathroom however, that outlet is only for shavers. I used an adaptor at the small "desk" where the computer was, so was able to sit on the ottoman, and look in the mirror over the desk while styling my hair.

Here's a link to what appears to be the definitive answer that was received

from AMA: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42458508&postcount=8

Still say that the AMA spokesperson or decision maker that came up with this "idiocy" do not know what a curling iron or flat iron actually are! And they are thinking these hair appliances are referring to actual "Irons" as in for clothes....

There have been no reports that I am aware of, that ladies traveling hair appliances in AMA have been confiscated or use forbidden while "onboard" an AMA cruise.

Edited by nana541

• 2 weeks later...