I'm the only one who likes to eat in the Main Dining Room...

mawmawmaw123

MawMawMaw;

As a Dad, I sure wish you didn't have this problem :(

It's a tough situation for a 14 year old to be in.

We are like you, we eat in the MDR almost every night, and we have brunch there on Sea Days. We do this because we enjoy the service and being served ! It's our vacation !

I would suggest that you approach your Parents, and suggest a solution to them that will also respect what they want. For example, you could suggest that on Sea Days, you and your sister could go to brunch in the MDR alone. You could also ask them for one or two (depending on length of cruise) dinners in the MDR. Lat them know that you would like for the whole family to dress up and enjoy a nice dinner, and that you would really like to get some pictures taken of the whole family while you are dressed up.

Do you save up any money ? or have any baby-sitting money ? Perhaps you could offer to buy the family picture that you like, which was taken on the MDR dinner night ?

The solution here is that nobody will get everythng they want, but everybody might be able to win a little bit if the right approach is taken.

Good Luck !

Enjoy your Cruise ! (You lucky girl !) :)

Good for you! It's nice to hear young people appreciate finer things in life. Our family has always loved dining in restaurants. We love having food served in courses and enjoy our time together and conversation. Our son is 17 now and he would rather go to a high end restaurant instead of fast food ( as long as I'm paying!). Too bad you're not on our upcoming cruise. You would be welcome to join us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a tough situation for a 14 year old girl to find herself in; but finding a compromise shouldn't be too difficult. Eating in the MDR is not the worst thing in the world. I'm 18 and for my family and I it's an essential part of the cruising experience.

I'd suggest approaching your parents with a well-constructed, realistic compromise. The more knowledgeable you are, the more likely your parents will see your side and treat you like the mature young lady that you are.

Getting your family to eat in the MDR for all meals or every dinner is an unrealistic goal, considering that they would prefer to never eat there at all. What would possibly make you and your parents happy? Perhaps your family would be willing to eat in the dining room 3 nights of your 7-day cruise. You might be able to do Your Time Dining so that you could eat at a time that works for your family. If your mother getting tired is her main concern, maybe you would have better luck getting your family to agree to so many breakfasts and/or lunches in the MDR (which also tend to have faster service).

Research the menus and know which meals in the dining room you would most want to eat. Perhaps even showing the menu to your parents would help persuade them. Also, since slow service is a concern, as soon as you are approached by your head waiter that evening, tell him that you would like to be finished with dinner by X time. Letting them know that you would like to be served at a faster pace will have your courses out quicker. Also, you might skip a course to speed up your service.

Go to your parents at an appropriate time and talk to them in a calm, mature manner. Do not let yourself get frustrated or upset if they do not oblige immediately - whining or saying, "but it's not fair," will make your parents see you as a child and do nothing but hurt your case. If your argument does not work the first time, just be persistent. A few days later, approach them again and say, "I was hoping that you would reconsider...." Don't be annoying by talking about it all the time, but don't give up your first try - bringing up the topic again will let them know that this is important to you. You might find it better to approach one parent at a time or to talk to your parents when your younger siblings aren't around (five against one is not a fair battle).

If your parents fail to see the light, you might have luck convincing your younger sister. Do you enjoy spending time together? Do you think she would have fun and feel more grown-up eating just the two of you? It could be fun having sister bonding time in the MDR! And getting her on your side might also help convince the rest of your family to join you a few times.

I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by LittleMissMagic

I would also suggest that you make your parents aware how important it is to you to dine in the MDR, and offer a compromise. Ask them to please do you the favor of a dinner or two, or three in the MDR.

I also enjoy meals in the MDR, especially at dinner time. I have had occasion to visit the buffet at dinner time instead, but do much prefer the MDR, and not having to pick up my food and find a table, only to remember then that I have forgotten something. MDR is relaxing, and a good way to try different items from the menu.

I am impressed that at your age, you enjoy MDR most, because I know many peope your age, who are impatient, and cant wait to get going and get to their favorite game, gathering or whatever.

Just let your folks know gently that you would like this, and ask them for compromise. I bet they will comply. Have a great cruise.:)

Our family (DH and DD) usually request a table for three. We have invited one of our daughters friends from the teen club to dine with us. She has met other teens from the teen club and they have gone to dinner in a group with them.

You could also Join your roll call, see if there is a family with someone around your age, ask if you can join them for dinner one night.

Check in with the maître D at anytime dining. He may find a family to seat you with, or another group that you could feel comfortable with.

If you were sailing with us, I'd say join our table:D DD would like the company.

We love the main dining room. Cannot see why they would not like it.Service and food are much better than lido.The spec. restaurants are good also. :):) Bill

My only problem would be time 1.5 hours or longer I would be extremely ill I like 45 minutes max 1 hour. Other things I wanna do on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i also love to eat in the mdr :) sometimes i sail alone and i can be very shy so sitting with the same people at dinner is very comforting for me. ive met some of the nicest people this way and have made new lifelong friends.

you were given great advice trying to compromise and explain yourself , and also about taking a friend from the teen place, sorry cant remember the name.

if im ever cruising the same time as you, come eat with me :) i would love it. so check out your roll call and find a new friend, dont let the age stop you, im 52 and still pretty kewl to hang with and im sure you are VERY KEWL !!!!

this sounds like a john blog situation ::)

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope in the future that your family realizes what they are missing out on with you. If I were on a cruise with you I would join you in the MDR. I bet you make great conversation.

Edited by USNUZULOOSE

We prefer not to eat in the MDR also .... when our children were younger and cruised with us - our daughter was 15 the first year we started cruising .....and she insisted we eat most nights in the MDR ... I have to admit it was a little irritating to me, her daddy and brother ....mainly because her daddy prefers buffet any time to a sit down meal ... I don't like having to change clothes just to go eat. But we did it for her ..... now that she is married and our son quit going with us because since he didn't have her to share a cabin with he didn't want to stay in the cabin with his mama and daddy.....my husband and I had been cruising alone since 2010 and we went to the MDR maybe 1 or 2 times at the most on each cruise.....he passed away of a massive heart attack in September 2013 .... we had 2 cruises booked when he died...a friend went with me in November...and we went to the MDR 1 time ... and my son is going with me on an 8 night cruise next month...we may try to go a couple of times.....I am not a big eater and really don't care what I am eating....my son eats in quantity not quality (lol) .... so I am sure he won't care.

I hope your parents will go at least a couple of times with you to the MDR. Since it was so important to my daughter I see your side....but it sure is nice not to have to go in there all the time .... we have never been to breakfast before, only one time at brunch and one time for lunch

Please give your parents a breather...

I am a parent of four kids. Mine are younger than apparently you and your siblings. I have a 10 year old girl, 7 year old girl, and 2 - 5 year old boys.. So, I completely can see where you are coming from..

My next to oldest daughter would be the one addressing this issue in a few years (by what I can tell). She is going to love the MDR for all the same reasons that you have pointed out that you love it.. She loves different foods, presentations, dancing/singing, etc.

As a parent of 4, I am literally on vacation. That means, no dressing to the "t's" and just want a relaxing dinner. (Me, I am different, I believe that I will enjoy the MDR), now as my husband, it will be an act of congress and a presidential mandate that he join us for dinner and then he "may" go.. Anyways, the point that I am making...

Address your parents with your concerns. Tell them that you WANT to have dinner in the MDR, when it is available. Ask if you could find some friends during camp and go with them or ask your younger sister (if she is close in age) if she would go with you and ask your parents if you could go together and just plan on meeting at a certain time/place after dinner is over.

To me, it would NEVER bother me, if my daughter really enjoyed the other food options and didn't want to eat in a certain place with us. We are not a family that "must eat together" though. Just keep an open mind and talk with your parents.

You're very mature for your age! (A HUGE compliment) :) Very admirable!

I'm 19 and love the MDR and eat there for dinner every night. I love being seated, served food, and treated like a queen.

Maybe on your next cruise maybe ask if you can bring a friend along this time and then you and your friend can go to the main dining room. I just went on a cruise with my friends and they're inexperienced cruisers so I just told them dinner will always be at MDR at 6PM. I'm going with or without them. I'm very religious about traditional dining, I will go every night no matter what.

Plus all the waiters are SUPER sweet and they'll be so entertaining! I'm sure they'll cater to you extra since you're by yourself so they know you won't feel all alone! :)

Maybe talk to the Maitre'd and tell him that it's just you who wants to eat at the main dining room out of your family and maybe he can place you with a table that has a good amount of teens, so now you won't be sitting alone and you'll be making new friends!

Best of luck! :)

My daughter went to the dining room on her own last year and enjoyed herself. Not for the same reasons - we were at the chefs table and her sisters ate on Lido that night for a break. Two of our other daughters also ate in the dining room without us on our previous cruise. They were fine and the staff treated them with the same respect that they did all of us.

I would encourage you to check out the teen groups, go on the first night to get the hang of things. As others have mentioned, you may meet some like minded friends :-)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Edited by CatlinSTJ

Our 14 year old loves the main dining room as well with the set dining times. Us parents like it, but would prefer the your time dining and really like the freestyle dining of Norwegian. Our daughter likes having the same waiters for the week who treat her special, know her name and anticipate her requests. She also enjoys the food and knows if there is ever stuff she doesn't like she can head to the lido anytime to finish off her dinner if needed. We do like eating together as she is often off with her new friends during the sea days and it gives us time to catch up as a family. I hope your family at least compromises with you for part of the week.

I take my grandsons on at least one cruise a year (15, 13, 11), usually without their parents, but sometimes with, and we only hsve one real rule "Mammaw Joyce pays so EVERYONE is at sit down dinner at 6 pm". For the rest of the day they can have fun and do their own thing (as long as they are behaving and checking in periodically or at one of the teen activities), but we SIT to dinner. This last time with their parents, the parents were amazed to see them at dinner, no grumbling. They like it...and I always get compliments on their behavior and manners ;-). They have to learn sometime, and this is a fun way, since very few people have family dinners anymore. Too bad you arent on our next cruise. You could join us lol!

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3

First, I have to say that you seem very mature. Your parents should be proud of you!

You've gotten some great advice. Rationally approaching your parents is a good first step. You may be able to work out a compromise.

If not, check with your siblings. They could be more open to the idea but aren't aware of how you feel.

Some people just don't like eating in the mdr. If none of your family is willing to budge, you may need to be open to the idea of finding others to dine with or going by yourself. If you were on my cruise, you'd be more than welcome at my table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips everyone. Luckily I still have 2 months till the cruise. I just get very excited about the cruises! Hopefully I'll be able to persuade my sister to come with me if my parents don't want to come. Maybe we'll go to the teen club too to meet new people. My brother is autistic so I understand why my parents might not want to eat in the main dining room. My brother is sometimes hard to control for that long.

We did Anytime Dining for the first time last month on the Legend. We got to the dining room about 5:45, never waited and service was better and much faster than the timed dining. Change to Anytime dining and if other family members don't won't to go, you can still go to MDR and be seated with others. Enjoy your cruise!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It sounds like you are getting some great advice on compromise. One thing you may also want to consider is staying away from the mdr on elegant night. For cruise casual as long as your family is not trying to go in a bathing suit you will be fine. At least that way they do not have to get dressed up.

I understand being painfully shy so it does make it harder but if you want to go on your own they will usually have smaller tables set aside so you are not right next to someone. You can then eat and people watch.

One other thing, if you want the elegant night experience take an elegant outfit, go to dinner then have your picture taken at all of the photo stops. I know if you were my daughter and I saw your pictures looking so beautiful that would be something I would Want to share and would make the effort to dine like that once or twice during the cruise. It is such a small price to pay for the experience with a daughter who will be out on her own before they know it. For what they get in return it is a steal!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Great tips in this thread.

Couple things I came up with:

1) Go with a different family member each night, call it bonding time.

2) Go by yourself the first night. There's a chance your parents said they won't go because they know you won't do it along. When they realize you were being serious, they just might join you. ;)

3) Go by yourself and take photos of your WCMC. Show your family. They'll join you night 2 :D