HA cabins

cala8

I have been chatting on disabled board and have gotten my questions answered,now I would like to know what experience you have had,booked on Holland America Zuierdam Feb 2015 Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have specific questions regarding "experience"? Do you want information about the dining, shore excursions, onboard activities, or handicapped staterooms? There are lots of helpful, informative posters on this board.

If you want to see pictures of the cabins, check out halfacts.com

I did check out Halfacts,I am just trying to get an idea of any issues concerning shower.I have been reading about flooding issues.Just would like to hear what anyone else has to say.Thank You for your response.

What they really want to know (from what I gathered in the disabled forum thread) is how close the toilet is to the shower in the handicap accessible rooms and if water on the floor will be a hazzard for using the toilet after the shower had been used.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk Edited by sherilyn70

[quote name='sherilyn70']What they really want to know (from what I gathered in the disabled forum thread) is how close the toilet is to the shower in the handicap accessible rooms and if water on the floor will be a hazzard for using the toilet after the shower had been used.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/quote]

We got an HA stateroom on a guarantee last year (neither of us required an HA room). I took pictures that are posted on the halfacts website - Eurodam 4131. There are four pictures of the bathroom; you can see the floor drains in third and fourth pictures.

There are two drains, one in front of the door and the other between the shower and the toilet/sink area (perpendicular to the doorway drain). No flooding occured. One just had to step carefully on the toilet/sink side of the drains to avoid getting one's feet wet if one had recently showered. The stewards seem to dry the floors when they serviced the cabin. We wore slippers, too.

I actually liked the shower; one didn't have to step over a high sided tub! I also stepped over the floor drains because they clattered at bit which was annoying in the middle of the night.

This was my only experience with an HA room so I have no idea whether the bathrooms differ in other categories/ships.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.One or two more questions.can you just stand in the shower without taking down the handheld shower head.I usually just like to stand there and let the water pour over me.I did explain that my DH is not in a wheelchair but cannot get in a tub.I am asking for your opinion,I understand that the verandah's with a walk in shower are the suites,am I correct and should I hope for an upgrade or just book a suite.Thanks Again

My mom and dad book a HA room (my mom has mobility issues). THe floor generally stays dry. I believe there are non suite HA rooms (inside ones) that are big and have the large showers. If I recall, there was a seat within the shower that could be used with the hand shower.

I am not sure about HAL but I know on other lines if you book a HA room and are not in need of it, you can be moved to accommodate someone who requires it.

I know when we were on the Amsterdam there was no tub in our room (we were not in a suite), just a shower and we were not in a handicapped room. It is worth asking about the room if it is a shower vs tub that you require. Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

[quote name='CowPrincess']Book the lowest category you'd be happy with. If that is a suite, then you better book a suite. Hoping for an upgrade is IMHO not a great strategy to get what you want.[/quote]

Agreed... talk to HAL about what you need (ie walk in shower vs tub) and they should be able to help you out.

[quote name='cala8']can you just stand in the shower without taking down the handheld shower head.I usually just like to stand there and let the water pour over me.[/quote]

Yes, I think you can, although you might have to stand fairly close to the wall, under the shower head. You can manipulate the angle a bit; I'm not sure you can manipulate it enough to stand farther away from the wall. It'll depend on which part of the body you want to let the water pour over!

But I'm going by memory, and it was a year ago.... Hopefully someone with more recent experience can help you more with that question.