79 cruise points....:/

At the end of our next cruise, we'll have 79 points.

I can add a short 3 night cruise on the one we have scheduled to make it to Diamond at the conclusion of our next cruise.

Should I bother or is the experience pretty much the same? We haven't gone to a repeat cruiser event since I can remember, mostly because those attract 50% of the passengers and there isn't anything special about them.

At this stage of our lives and DH retired, we'll probably book GS when we do cruise, so we'll have CL access.

Just wait or worth adding 3 days to existing cruise? Is there some pretty big Diamond perks that I just don't know about?

Edited by kymbakitty

The most significant thing you would gain at Diamond level, beyond CL/DL access which you normally get anyway, is a significant increase in the balcony discount.

Edited by clarea

At this stage of our lives and DH retired, we'll probably book GS when we do cruise, so we'll have CL access.

I think you just answered your own question :). No, the only true benefit we utilize with Diamond status is the DL, which the CL is almost identical to.

I don't believe you get to enjoy any of the new level's benefits on the cruise where you reach that level. So it would seem to me, not to matter. You could as easily take the three nighter afterward. Still won't get to enjoy being Diamond till the cruise after that either way.

Edited by Gayle V

The most significant thing you would gain at Diamond level, beyond CL/DL access which you normally get anyway, is a significant increase in the balcony discount.

Didn't even know about this (why I love this board)....how much of a discount? Or is it different to actually get...i.e., can't get THAT discount with THAT sale (wow, tuesday, etc.)?

Didn't even know about this (why I love this board)....how much of a discount? Or is it different to actually get...i.e., can't get THAT discount with THAT sale (wow, tuesday, etc.)?

There are restrictions on combinations with the balcony discount. However, it can be combined with the OBC from booking on board.

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 50* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200* for sailings of 10+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 75* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$225* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$325* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Plus & Pinnacle Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$350* for sailings of 10+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from each dollar amount.

I don't believe you get to enjoy any of the new level's benefits on the cruise where you reach that level. So it would seem to me, not to matter. You could as easily take the three nighter afterward. Still won't get to enjoy being Diamond till the cruise after that either way.

I know, but I'm just thinking ahead for the following cruise!

I haven't been able to get my DH on a ship for less than 14 days in a very long time.

So, if it's that big of a difference, the 3 day precruise (b2b) added to our TA might be worth doing.

If it's not that big of a deal, we'll go to Europe for 3 nights before we get on ship.

If you are already in a GS and have access to the Concierge Lounge you aren't missing much; larger balcony discount, free 8 x 10 photo, internet minutes...nothing game changing.

However, if in the future you think you will be taking a long voyage in a JS or below where you wouldn't have Concierge Lounge access there is a case to be made for adding a 3 night sailing. i.e. - if you were going to book a regular balcony in the future for a 10+ night sailing; it may be worth it to take the 3 night to get the points over the hump and that way you have Diamond Lounge access.

A related Q, if you book a long way out with, say, Emerald status & get that level's balcony discount, if you move up to Diamond before that actual sailing do you get the extra $100 ?

It should be no problem at all getting the discount adjusted.

A related Q, if you book a long way out with, say, Emerald status & get that level's balcony discount, if you move up to Diamond before that actual sailing do you get the extra $100 ?

If you are within 6 months of your sailing, they will probably take away $25 of the new balcony discount. I've heard they are doing that with price drops now.