Questions for OVERTHEHILLCRUISER

cruizinisthebest

Hope you see this and can help me. And actually anyone that has been to Roatan recently.

So by now you know my worries about going to this port with all the recent news about crime, but we're forging ahead and keeping our fingers crossed that all will be fine for everyone, not just us.

We have a tour booked with Victor Bodden. We would like to do as much as we can without riding around all day I suppose. Do you have any suggestions for good stops that the kids would enjoy? I know Victor has a bunch of stuff on his website. Actually too much. I don't know what to pick! DH will probably want to snorkel and maybe some beach time for us while he's doing that. Some shopping. I don't know what else.

Also, how much would you suggest we bring for spending money if we want a good inexpensive lunch with local fare? Should we bring cash or credit card? I know folks are saying not to bring any valuables, but I would at least like to bring my camera. HELP!:p

Thanks in advance.

I'm not OTHC, but in general, Victor's tours and drivers will seek to avoid any of the places where recent crimes have occurred. If you're in Coxen Hole, he'll pick you up inside the cruise port. If you're in Mahogany Bay, you'll have to walk over the hill, but you're doing it with hundreds of other passengers and meeting drivers with signs and it's a bit out in the boonies and off the main road for anyone to just drive by or attempt a robbery with all the milling about.

I'd bring cash for tips to your driver, lunch, shopping, snorkel fees etc. do most of your shopping at the cruise port, unless there's a specific item you want and the driver knows where to find it. If shopping at the cruise port, you're probably okay using a credit card. let your cc provider know you'll be out of town though. And keep receipts. If you feel more comfortable, just leave the cc in the cabin safe and come back to the ship after the tour, and retrieve it then go back and go shopping. By all means bring your camera. Just keep track of it. Most camera get "stolen" by being left behind in the van or taxi when you leave the vehicle. No need for your smart phone, tablet, kindle, etc. Leave those in the safe in your cabin.

Don't fret over the recent news. All the tour vendors in Roatan are very much aware of the importance of safety to their customers. The recent murder took place on a Sunday, when the police failed to provide adequate security in town. The recent robbery attempt on a family happened when they were out on a less traveled road by themselves.

Hi. I am glad to hear you are going ahead with your stop at Roatan..My wife and I are in our mid 60's so I am not really voiced on what kids like other than the beach,monkey farm, etc. Other than that Crewsweeper posted a great reply. Last time we were with Victor we ate at Half Moon Bay resort in West End. It was excellent and we used a CC with no problems. One idea if you like boat rides would be to grab a water taxi for a spin. We got a guy to take us by ourselves for about 20 minutes for $12..We are going back in November and will spend our day at West End..Enjoy your cruise .:)

P.S. Looks like you are on Sunshine so you will have to walk out of Mahogany to meet your driver...There will be a bunch of people down the hill at the meeting area,so do not have a fear of them.I talked with several and they were all friendly ,as we waited for our p/u to Turquoise Bay..They are all just trying to make a living. Makes you feel for them..You will see plenty of other cruisers there as well..

I am also not Over the Hill. :0)

I would suggest having chats with your driver... he knows the island and understands your time issues.

I also believe Half Moon Bay Resort to be a good choice, there is no beach right at the property but they are on the water and the snorkeling is pretty good from there. Once your husband is in the water the driver can pop you around the bend for shopping in West End...if your children what to play at the beach... Half Moon Bay Beach is easy to find being between the resort and shopping.

If you still have time and want to take the water tax to West Bay..if only just to see it.

We were in Roatan in January on the Magic, and we booked the Maya Key beach excursion through the ship. We normally go with independent excursions, but we wanted a really good snorkel place, and this one came highly recommended.

The snorkeling was AWESOME! Best I've ever seen - and right off the end of the pier. The beach was not extremely big, but the island was beautiful. There were a lot of chairs - most people were out snorkeling. There are also some animals (rescued) around the island you can see. My husband also did a "snorkel with the sharks" which are in a very large penned off area - kind of like what you would see with dolphins. He really enjoyed it, and got some great pictures. They also have some sea lions there to see (no show - just see them).

The lunch they served was excellent. We had fried fish, and BBQ chicken, and some side dishes.

After we got off the ship, we walked up to the shopping area, and there were various guides there with signs for the excursions. We found ours, and we walked to a boat (still in the Carnival area) that we motored on to the island. It was about 10 minutes away.

At the island, all the people there were very nice, and spoke English. When we finished w/the excursion, we had plenty of time to go back aboard ship, change clothes, and go back to the shopping area for a little shopping.

This might be an option if you are worried about getting too far from port. Roatan is such a beautiful island. I hate what that are going through with the crime right now. I hope they can get a handle on it, and get it under control. It would be a shame to see this island dropped from the cruise stops. I believe the people there are basically good. There are always bad people everywhere. We have killings every day in America too!

P.S. Looks like you are on Sunshine so you will have to walk out of Mahogany to meet your driver...There will be a bunch of people down the hill at the meeting area,so do not have a fear of them.

Also, just know that if you don't feel comfortable walking outside of Mahogany Bay and out of the gates and up and over the hill to the taxi area, you can catch a taxi right there at the port to drive you outside the port and up and over the hill to the other taxis for $2. :)

I also agree with going to Maya Key (ship sponsored is the only way to book it now). It's a beautiful way to spend the day. I have a complete review in my signature line with TONS of pictures. You will be picked up right there at your ship by a boat and taken over to this private island. :)