Trenitalia Questions - Please help

eptice

This is a question about getting around Italy. We are staying in Rome in late September/early October.

Here is our plan - on Wednesday, October 1, we want to take a day trip to Naples to do a Pompeii/Amalfi Coast tour. We are planning on taking the FRECCIAROSSA at 7:30am-8:45 to arrive for that and then leave sometime around 6 or 7pm back to Rome.

The next day we are going to take the train to Venice, as we are staying there for a couple days prior to boarding our cruise.

Are there any specific tips for buying these tickets on trenitalia.com? I believe I should be buying "tickets" not "passes", is that correct? Are there any deals I should know about when I book these? Any other considerations I should think of?

Just looking for some help and see if anyone has better information than me :-)

This is a question about getting around Italy. We are staying in Rome in late September/early October.

Here is our plan - on Wednesday, October 1, we want to take a day trip to Naples to do a Pompeii/Amalfi Coast tour. We are planning on taking the FRECCIAROSSA at 7:30am-8:45 to arrive for that and then leave sometime around 6 or 7pm back to Rome.

The next day we are going to take the train to Venice, as we are staying there for a couple days prior to boarding our cruise.

Are there any specific tips for buying these tickets on trenitalia.com? I believe I should be buying "tickets" not "passes", is that correct? Are there any deals I should know about when I book these? Any other considerations I should think of?

Just looking for some help and see if anyone has better information than me :-)

The only suggestion I have is to buy your tickets in advance to get the best price.

Yes, you will buy the tickets, not the passes.

Definitely look at the other train times - sometimes arriving an hour earlier/later can save you 10-15EU each…

Also, look at the Super Economy and Economy tickets for both Standard Coach and the Premium and Business Coaches. Sometimes, the Premium and Business prices can be the same as Standard. It will get you a wider seat, free WiFi, and in the mornings, a paper, a beverage and sometimes a snack.

You've probably already seen that you can't book until 4 months out, so start looking for your pricing then. If you look at pricing out for July now, it will give you a good idea of what the prices will be for your October trips.

We did the Rome to Venice trip last October, to board our cruise. It worked very well, train ride was lovely, very economical. We bought tickets online in advance. It does pay to watch the prices, and act fast if you see a price you like. Discount tickets go fast. We went in early October and I purchased tickets in August or September. I was only able to get one of four tickets for rock bottom price.

One other factor to consider is carrying your cruise luggage. Packing light would be wise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Spent a week travelling by train around Italy in 2012. Going back this summer (just booked my Tuscan vacation rental! Yay!!) Some random points:

-Once you know how to use it, the Trenitalia website is pretty easy and clear. One thing you must remember, however, is to use the Italian names of places - thus, Rome is Roma, Naples is Napoli and Venice is Venezia;

-Booking opens up about 3-4 months before, with it seems the high-speed trains (all the various Freccias) being the first to be released (I'm already pricing out a trip at the beginning of August). The further ahead you book the more likely to find the cheaper options, however like for air tickets, these cheaper tickets often are more restrictive (non-changeable, non-refundable). If your travel plans are absolutely set, go for the cheap tickets; if you think you might want to change something, wait or buy a ticket that is changeable/refundable (we actually did this on the day of travel with no problem). For maximum flexibility, you can wait to purchase your ticket on the day of travel, but you'll probably pay the maximum rate;

-The Freccias have assigned seating, which you will book at the same time at the ticket. Not sure if there's a seating plan available somewhere online, but not much difference in seats so I didn't pay much attention. Where it does come into play is when boarding: each carriage is numbered, and your ticket will have the carriage number as well as your seat number written on it. And remember: before you board, validate your ticket in one of the green-and-white machines;

-And lastly: pack light! The train is a joy when you can easily handle your luggage, miserable if you're bringing your entire wardrobe.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Pompei as a day trip from Rome by train is quite do-able, but the Amalfi Coast is not. How are you planning to get there and get around?

Euro Cruiser, thank you for the advice! We are planning on taking a train down to Naples, and then take this tour: http://www.getyourguide.com/naples-l162/pompeii-and-amalfi-coast-day-tour-from-naples-all-inclusive-t13355/

Once this whole day tour is over, we will take the train back to Rome.

This is doable, no?

Yes, with someone else driving you it's possible, it's just not realistic on your own using mass transit.

A quick read of the reviews in the link you provided indicates that much depends on how crowded the tour is on the day you choose. A big bus will limit where you can stop along the Amalfi Coast, but if you happen to wind up in a smaller van you will have a different experience.

And remember: before you board, validate your ticket in one of the green-and-white machines;[/color][/size][/font]

I thought I read somewhere that if you had seat reservations you didn't have to validate them before boarding.

Does anyone know for sure ? I have several tickets booked with seat reservations.

We are going to DIY the train from Livorno to Firenza and I'm wondering if I should prebuy our train tickets. We are 4 adults and 3 children.

Right now the tickets on Rail Europe are better than Trenitalia. Do the prices change significantly?

We are traveling in June.

Thanks Linda

We are going to DIY the train from Livorno to Firenza and I'm wondering if I should prebuy our train tickets. We are 4 adults and 3 children.

Right now the tickets on Rail Europe are better than Trenitalia. Do the prices change significantly?

We are traveling in June.

Prices on regional trains do not change at all. The fare is Euro 9,10 (approximately $12.60) each way. Are you saying that Rail Europe is selling the tickets for less than that?

Thanks euro cruiser. Prices on Rail Europe are $15 per person for our date in June. They don't give the regional prices that far out and I think I was comparing a more expensive train on Trenitalia.

The regional trains will be the better option so I appreciate the info that these prices don't change.

We actually would like to go to Rome a day early so if I don't prebuy any tickets this could still be an option. NCL denied this request but when we get on the ship and see what the weather forecast is maybe they will give us the okay to leave the ship for a night.

• 2 weeks later...
Spent a week travelling by train around Italy in 2012. Going back this summer (just booked my Tuscan vacation rental! Yay!!) Some random points:

-Once you know how to use it, the Trenitalia website is pretty easy and clear. One thing you must remember, however, is to use the Italian names of places - thus, Rome is Roma, Naples is Napoli and Venice is Venezia;

-Booking opens up about 3-4 months before, with it seems the high-speed trains (all the various Freccias) being the first to be released (I'm already pricing out a trip at the beginning of August). The further ahead you book the more likely to find the cheaper options, however like for air tickets, these cheaper tickets often are more restrictive (non-changeable, non-refundable). If your travel plans are absolutely set, go for the cheap tickets; if you think you might want to change something, wait or buy a ticket that is changeable/refundable (we actually did this on the day of travel with no problem). For maximum flexibility, you can wait to purchase your ticket on the day of travel, but you'll probably pay the maximum rate;

-The Freccias have assigned seating, which you will book at the same time at the ticket. Not sure if there's a seating plan available somewhere online, but not much difference in seats so I didn't pay much attention. Where it does come into play is when boarding: each carriage is numbered, and your ticket will have the carriage number as well as your seat number written on it. And remember: before you board, validate your ticket in one of the green-and-white machines;

-And lastly: pack light! The train is a joy when you can easily handle your luggage, miserable if you're bringing your entire wardrobe.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

"Not sure if there's a seating plan available somewhere online"

There is, on the Trenitalia website, but it's very easy to miss.

Assuming your screen display is the same as ours (not a given!), look in the lower left corner under the "box" after you've selected the train and class of service, but *BEFORE* you click to get tickets.

There is a place to choose to select your own seats, and then you get a seating plan to select from.

GeezerCouple