Need help deciding: Carnival Cruise vs Disney World with children

We are looking at November 30-December 5. We definitely prefer low crowds. I've heard that was a good time to go. Not sure though?

the week after Thanksgiving would be even better in regard to lower crowds. We often visit the 1st or 2nd week in December. The 1st week has less crowds, 2nd has pop warner tournament that brings in lots of people.

I'd probably do Disney because of the ages of your kids and the fact that you are going on another cruise a few months before.

I'm a big Disney fan;) but for most the tipping point would be the fact you have a cruise booked a couple of months before this trip. Osborne Lights are impressive, MVMCP is cute...when else can you see snow on main street?:)

You might get lucky and find WDW offering a free dining plan package during your visit, saves a lot with hungry kiddos. You can do a search to see if free dining was offered during the week you are considering same time last year to give you an idea if it may be rolled out.

We have done disney twice in December prior to dec 18th, twin boys 9 and daughter 4. Would definitely do disney.... Crowds light, many rides walk on! Can't miss adding Christmas party tickets.... Boys will love....FYI both years we paid around 2400 for us at moderate hotel and got free dining....

Note...this is a relaxing time at disney with light crowds and no rushing around.... Relaxing for disney but not a relaxing vacation like a cruise but I would still do disney!

We are Disney people. We went to WDW last June for 8 nights. It was our 9th similar trip since 1996. We've never been in December. We're teachers and can't go except at crowded times. I now prefer cruising. I think my DH and DDs would pick Disney. I know they would for Christmas. It's one of our bucket list trips.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I love Disney and I love cruising. It is all about what you are looking for in a vacation -- are the kids hungering for more Disney (an active busy vacation) or are you looking for something more relaxing like a cruise.

Disney is very expensive (especially if you stay on property). I did the math and decided for Thanksgiving this year it would cost about the same to fly my family of 4 to London for a week -- then a week at Disney and Universal. Those ticket prices are killer. Factor food, tickets, etc into your cost benefit analysis.

And whatever you decide -- I bet everyone will have a good time! Have fun with the planning (it is my favorite part)!

We have done Disney three times (2 on December) and three cruises with our 6 & 4 year old girls.

Disney is not a vacation--it is a trip. It's go go go and see and do all things. There's not a lot of downtime.

Cruising is a lot more relaxing to me and offers some time for my husband and I to spend time together alone.

I love Disney and I love cruising.

For me, it would depend on what type of experience you want.

We took a cruise for our 10 year anniversary.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I love Disney and I love cruising. It is all about what you are looking for in a vacation -- are the kids hungering for more Disney (an active busy vacation) or are you looking for something more relaxing like a cruise.

Disney is very expensive (especially if you stay on property). I did the math and decided for Thanksgiving this year it would cost about the same to fly my family of 4 to London for a week -- then a week at Disney and Universal. Those ticket prices are killer. Factor food, tickets, etc into your cost benefit analysis.

And whatever you decide -- I bet everyone will have a good time! Have fun with the planning (it is my favorite part)!

When I checked prices, it would be roughly the same for either. The 7 night cruise would be a balcony room on the carnival dream for around $2000. Disney would most likely be staying 5 or 6 nights at a value resort & going through a homeschool group for a discounted rate or if they offered free dining, we would probably go that route. It would be around $2000 also. So, that's why I'm so torn.

There are 2 possibilities:

Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Montego Bay

Or

Cozumel, Mahogany Bay & Belize

Never been to Mahogany Bay or Belize.

I do NOT recommend the Mahogany Bay or Belize itinerary. Belize is terrible and is NOT safe. I wouldn't go to Belize with children. I really like Mahogany Bay. However, I am avoiding it for now due to the recent serious crimes. If you did choose Mahogany Bay or Belize I would stay at the Carnival beach in Mahogany Bay and stay on the ship in Belize. I like Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I do NOT recommend the Mahogany Bay or Belize itinerary. Belize is terrible and is NOT safe. I wouldn't go to Belize with children. I really like Mahogany Bay. However, I am avoiding it for now due to the recent serious crimes. If you did choose Mahogany Bay or Belize I would stay at the Carnival beach in Mahogany Bay and stay on the ship in Belize. I like Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Good to know! That might make the decision even easier. The Montego Bay, Grand Cayman & Cozumel was our honeymoon cruise except it was on the conquest. For some reason, that itinerary has increased & is $200 more than the other one now.

When I checked prices, it would be roughly the same for either. The 7 night cruise would be a balcony room on the carnival dream for around $2000. Disney would most likely be staying 5 or 6 nights at a value resort & going through a homeschool group for a discounted rate or if they offered free dining, we would probably go that route. It would be around $2000 also. So, that's why I'm so torn.

Disney prices - since the opening of Disney World in 1971 (and Disneyland in 1955) have only gone up... and will only go up (while cruise prices have actually become more affordable). Deals are getting more difficult to come by which is why I would suggest doing Disney while you have the opportunity. Your children are the perfect ages, the price is exactly what you want to spend, and you would like to see Disney World with Christmas decorations. You're already booked on a cruise, so why not give Disney a chance?

I would do Disney. My kids grew up going to Disney and are now seasoned cruisers as well. They still love Disney! In fact, they are in their late 20's, and we were all able to arrange plans to go to Disney last December. It was the first time we had been in probably ten years and the first time we had gone when the parks were decorated for Christmas. It was really great! Definitely a tiring vacation though! They love cruising. One cruised in Feb. on the Magic, and the other is going in June on the Valor. Great memories in both types of vacations, but considering their age, in my opinion, they probably will enjoy Disney better. My adult children would chose cruising. Whatever you chose, I'm sure you will have great memories with your young children---cherish them--they grow up quickly! Your best option for vacation value will be the cruise. Disney rates and everything that goes with it has gotten very expensive.

The worst vacation I ever took was to Disney World in December.

You could not pay me to go back there at any time of year.

However, if paying $700 to stand in line or mob all day is your thing...

I have only cruised 3 times and never with my kids... First one this September on sunshine... One thing I have noticed in planning is that I have many more expenses adding up with cruise... Tips, excursions, soda cards etc.... On the dining plan we never need any other food, the meals and snacks r plenty for the day and we splurge on the huge ice cream sundaes for a snack but they r just a snack credit... Last December we spent just over 200 extra and I have already spent well over that on excursions....

That being said.... It is a different vacation than a cruise but so worth it with kids your ages!

when our triumph cruise was cancelled last year we decided to take the money and go to Disney, I have 3 girls ages 7/10/13. To say we were disappointed in Disney (all of us) is an understatement. Not only did I spend at least 3X's what a cruise with all the bells and whistles would have cost, crowds were crazy and I just didn't feel that we got our moneys worth. My girls actually very much enjoyed Universal, and IF we were to go back, that's where my $$ would go. I personally would rather take the family on a cruise, its a lot less stress, I don't feel like im hemorrhaging money, and its more quality time....just my two cents

Considering the ages of your kids and the week you are planning to go, my choice would be Disney. My kids were 4 and 7 when we did a 4 day Disney World/3 day Disney Wonder. It was the perfect ages for them to enjoy the Disney magic and they had a blast. This was our first cruise experience and we discovered that 3 days was too short. It was also the first and last time we've done Disney World as a family so I'm glad we had that experience. We were even randomly selected to be the Grand Marshalls in the Magic Kingdom Parade. DS went back with the HS Band 5 years ago and was in the same Parade only marching this time and DD went back last year with HS Choir and sang in Downtown Disney. Unfortunately due to my work schedule we were unable to go with either of them....but then again they may have been happy about that :D:o.

Considering the ages of your kids and the week you are planning to go, my choice would be Disney. My kids were 4 and 7 when we did a 4 day Disney World/3 day Disney Wonder. It was the perfect ages for them to enjoy the Disney magic and they had a blast. This was our first cruise experience and we discovered that 3 days was too short. It was also the first and last time we've done Disney World as a family so I'm glad we had that experience. We were even randomly selected to be the Grand Marshalls in the Magic Kingdom Parade. DS went back with the HS Band 5 years ago and was in the same Parade only marching this time and DD went back last year with HS Choir and sang in Downtown Disney. Unfortunately due to my work schedule we were unable to go with either of them....but then again they may have been happy about that :D:o.

Wow, I bet that was exciting being chosen as grand Marshall! Great memories for sure!

Wow, I bet that was exciting being chosen as grand Marshall! Great memories for sure!

Would you believe it actually rained on our parade??? The day we were asked to do it rained during parade time and they had to cancel it. We had some pretty disappointed kids as we watched the rain clouds come in. Luckily we were still at Disney World the next day so they asked us to come back to do it the next day, which typical Florida was beautiful and sunny.

We recieve a certificate and Mickey Mouse Ear Hats with our names emboidered on it. DD who was 4 at the time got to ride in the very front of the cable car we rode in doing her Princess Wave. She was the reason we were selected in the first place. It was just her and I waiting for everyone else to come out of the rest rooms when the Parade guy came up to us at the start of Main Street wanting to know if we would do it. I think he was a little surprised when I told him there were actually 8 of us (we were with friends who had 2 kids the same age as ours). But he stepped up to the plate, got us a bigger vehicle to ride in the parade in than they normally do and got us all hats and certificates. The rest of us all rode in the back doing a normal wave.

We love to go to Walt disney world the week after Thanksgiving its so amazing for Christmas and the crowds are less then. Then we do a three night disney cruise right after using there transportation best of both worlds.

Do you mind telling me your average cost to do both? I would love to do both but I'm afraid it would be way out of our price range. I'm trying to stay around $2000 but may be able to talk my DH into splurging a little bit more :)

I vote for Disney as well, especially if you stay on property. It is cruise like in that you only have to unpack once, then you can use their transportation to get everywhere. Best time of the year too since the weather is usually fantastic in December. Crowds are really the only issue, however the new MyMagic+ reservations can help alleviate waiting in lines (should have most of the kinks worked out by then).