Celebrity Solstice NZ/Aus 1/4/15 to 1/18/15

BayAreaBC

• 2 months later...

I'm glad that you guys are also going. I was afraid we would be the only ones on board. Are you arriving in Auckland early or staying over in Sydney after?

We are doing both (5 nights before and after).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:) Welcome aboard. The more the merrier. We'll also be joined by two couples from Miami and Stockholm. Not sure how big the Pied Piper group will be on this cruise, but they are always good people! We are so looking forward to this cruise. Finally bit the bullet and got airfare... was hoping for the price to go down, but no luck.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's time to start thinking about excursions. We booked a tour for Tauranga that takes us to the Lord of the Rings filming location Hobbiton, a native village and the geothermal area. Sounds super! Also thinking about the train ride through the gorge from Dunedin. Anyone done either one before, or have other ideas/recommendations? We have the Pied Piper Post-Thanksgiving cruise before this one, but we're certainly getting excited already for Australia and New Zealand. Whheeeee..... :)

We booked the train trip in Dunedin since it got rave reviews as an excursion. It's very expensive but people seemed to think it's worth it.

On previous cruises we found it was often better to do excursions on your own. We booked the Wellington Hop On/Off tour on our own. It's the same bus and tour the cruiselines use but if you book on your own you actually can hop on and off. If you book through the cruiseline you can't actually hop on and off.

http://www.hoponhopoff.co.nz/

There is a gay nude beach in Tauranga which is a few miles from the cruise terminal. I'm not sure if it's worth going to it since apparently the water is rough there. We may just hike up Mount Maunganai which is adjacent to the cruise terminal.

We arrive 5 days before the cruise in Auckland and are doing the Hobbiton and Rotorua hot springs on our own. There is a gay bed and breakfast in Rotorua we stay at for one night.

If anyone else is arriving early and wants to meet in Auckland for lunch or dinner it would be great to get to know fellow travelers. We have a small apartment booked in Auckland and can host for drinks before lunch or dinner.

Bob and Randy

Edited by BayAreaBC

Excellent description of Tasmania by a local. Many pics and suggestions.

http://**********/a/QkPso

This sounds interesting to me

Another destination that is also accessible by boat - in the opposite direction, north of Hobart - is MONA (the Museum of Old and New Art). It is a private museum which opened in 2011 to international acclaim and has been Tasmania's #1 tourist destination ever since.

Getting there: MONA is at 655 Main Road, Berridale, Hobart, Tasmania 7011, with free car parking on site. Alternatively, the MONA ferry departs six times a day from the Brooke Street ferry terminal in Hobart. Return tickets are $15 per person. Bicycles are also for hire at the terminal for $15 a day.

Entry to MONA is free for Tasmanians (proof of identify not required), $10 for non-Tasmanian concession cardholders and $20 for out-of-staters over 18. Open Wednesday to Monday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.

Edited by BayAreaBC

It turns out the French Cafe is closed for summer break for a month at that time. Anyone have any other restaurant recommendations?

Apparently Clooney is supposed to be good from what I've read. I've never been to Auckland and advice is welcome.

For those of use coming from the US... we only need our passports and online visa(ETA) for Australia right? No special documentation other than our passports for NZ? ...woohoo it's getting close now. :D

Yes, that's my understanding. The online visa for Australia is good for a year after you purchase it.

Does anyone have an idea of how many people from Pied Piper are going? Since this Roll Call is not that active I'm assuming it's not a lot.

Hi guys, my partner and I are married lesbian couple from Dallas. Will get to Aukland on Jan. 3, look forward to meeting new folks. We always seem to be among minority of women w/Pied Piper, but really have enjoyed the guys we've met and with whom we've become friends! Hope we can beg an invite to do drinks/dinner with some of you night before we sail. Get back with us on message board! Susan & Diane

Randy and I (Bob) haven't made plans for drinks and dinner on January 3rd and would love to meet other gay men and lesbian women for drinks/dinner.

Apparently there is a large group of people having dinner and drinks at Sky City in Auckland that night. From reviews I've read the food there is overpriced and not that great but the views are good.

It would be great if Pied Piper would arrange a gathering the night prior to departure. Do you think if we asked Derek they would do this?

update

I just emailed Derek and asked. We've sailed with RSVP previously and there were always several pre-cruise parties held at gay bars or host hotels. I know RSVP is much larger than PP but gay bars/restaurants love to host these parties since they bring in business.

Caluzzi is a drag bar and restaurant in Auckland. I'm not sure how good it is but it looks fun

http://www.caluzzi.co.nz/

Just an idea. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Edited by BayAreaBC

Hi all. Bob that place Caluzzi looks totally fun! (gets great reviews on TripAdvisor) And it seems to be not so far from the Sky Lounge, where we tentatively plan to have happy hour. I sent the link to our travel companions (from Miami and Stockholm). We would love to have the ladies join us as well... will provide more information as we firm up our plans! ;)