Duty free in Cozumel

anjuli

Don´t be fooled. Duty Free means only that you will pay 10% IVA vs. the 15% paid by the rest of Mexico. Duty free shops are at every point of departure. All cruise terminals and the airport. If you are leaving Mexico, you can buy duty free. You save nearly nothing. Indeed you are buying in a shop that generally inflates the base price to cover the rents they have to pay in these high volume, captive audience sales points.

At Carnival's Puerto Maya Pier, you must pass through the duty-free shops to get onshore.
Actually, you must pass thru the store in order to return to the ship, you can't go thru it the other way. I think it is the world's longest "duty free" store too.

02Puerta-Maya-pier.jpg

It is the building with the red roof all along the pier.

Bruce, I'm not understanding what you mean by 'you can't go thru it the other way'....?

When debarking the ship at Puerta Maya Pier, you can either go straight through the huge shop, OR you can walk around it to the left, to get on shore. I always walk thru the store, 'cause I want to look at things, but there are always lots of folks walking around it.

Bruce, I'm not understanding what you mean by 'you can't go thru it the other way'....?

When debarking the ship at Puerta Maya Pier, you can either go straight through the huge shop, OR you can walk around it to the left, to get on shore. I always walk thru the store, 'cause I want to look at things, but there are always lots of folks walking around it.

The way it worked when we were there was when you left the ship to go ashore, you were directed down the outside, but when going back to the ship, everyone was herded into the building.

My understanding of how "duty free" works is that the items are sold duty free because you are leaving the country with them. So I just assumed that the store was a one way path. If you can go thru the store when entering the country, then I apologize for the misunderstanding. But then I doubt the actual status of "duty free" prices in the store if this is the case.

:D Bruce, maybe they had a reason to do it that way when you were there? Who knows. Anyway, on all five of my cruises that docked at Puerta Maya Pier, I've never used the outside walkway to shore - have always gone straight thru the store.

Last October, we browsed our way through the duty-free shops on our way to shore at Puerto Maya. Of course, if you buy anything going in that direction, you have to check it and claim it on your return to the ship -- you can't 'enter' Mexico with it.

Last October, we browsed our way through the duty-free shops on our way to shore at Puerto Maya. Of course, if you buy anything going in that direction, you have to check it and claim it on your return to the ship -- you can't 'enter' Mexico with it.
That would be the explanation I would expect. I guess I got off the ship too early and the store wasn't open yet because I walked down the outside.

so, the prices in town are cheaper? We bought baileys for 18us and also crown at the duty free. Is it cheaper in town? We just bought it before boarding instead of carrying it around!
Prices can be cheaper in town or not.

If you have a "shopping list", check out the prices on the way to town and then in town also.

Buying at the Duty Free on the way back does save having to lug the bottles around. OTOH if you have been spending some time at a local watering hole before returning to the ship you may have a tendancy to overpurchase :eek:

Or, as we did one time, forget how much or what we bought. Had to wait until the last night of the cruise to see what we had :rolleyes:

Charlie

Archived