Review Final Part (Silhouette W Carib 4-6-14)

turning46

Link to part I:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026837

And part II:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2027329

So, if anyone is still with me, I believe I left off after Jamaica. Still in good spirits despite a semi-disastrous excursion, H and I returned to our ship for an evening of fun and relaxation. One of the things I love about cruising is that it is essentially "date night" every night: we dress for dinner (nothing fancy, just change from our shorts or sundresses into a nicer dress or skirt/blouse for me and cabana type shirt and chinos for H), listen to live music or catch a show, dance, enjoy wine or cocktails. It's lovely, and a nice way for us to rekindle.

If I recall correctly, tonight's show was "Knight Magic" and we just loved it. The show had some big set piece type magic, and some upclose sleight of hand, too. We are magic fans, and I thought this person had a lot of talent, esp in the sleight of hand. How DID he do that?! They were cute, too: a husband and wife team out of Vegas with energy to spare.

On to Labadee, Haiti, which surprised me by being one of the best days of the cruise. The leased property is absolutely gorgeous, with soft sandy beaches, walk-right-in crystal clear water, and plenty of loungers. The barbecue lunch was just so-so, but that was more than enough. We ate grilled burgers on a gorgeous beach, rum punches in hand. What's not to love? Paradise, and I hated to leave.

The only part that wasn't paradise was the easily-avoided "craft market" area, where the vendors were almost unbelievably aggressive. Like I said, though, that is easy to avoid and it is even possible to get souvenirs there without going into the craft market area and shopping instead at the general market in the central area.

Formal night was that night, and it was lovely to see so many people looking so fine. Here's another time the A group annoyed me a bit: they chose to have a "70s party" on that night, so mingling among the tuxes and gowns were folks in goofy Afro wigs and loud bell-bottom/hippie outfits. It just seemed tacky to me. And I'm usually good humored! I swear!

I rolled my eyes a bit, I confess, but then I reminded myself that when I first starting reading the "formal night" threads, I vowed not to let how anyone else dresses affect how I feel, so I let it go. (Except maybe I didn't, because here I am complaining about it. Oops.)

I think that evening's show was the Cirque de Soleil-ish show. Not really my cup of tea, but again the singers and dancers gave it their all. There were aerial acts, but only one real aerialist, a guest performer who was amazing. She obviously worked her craft/art for a long time and was expert at it. Not so much with the two male dancers who also did an aerial stint in the show. They were new at this, one could tell, and I was nervous the entire time they were in the air.

The next day was a relaxing, fun sea day spent mostly in the solarium or at the top deck. Too soon, it was time to pack and fill out customs forms. We had a lovely last night and a relaxing breakfast in Blu on the last day. We were spending a day in florida before heading home, so we opted to be among the last off the ship. We spent most of that time in the Il Bacio area, sipping lattes and people watching. One note on Il Bacio: the one employee who seemed the most harassed, harried, and unhappy was the poor guy pulling espresso there. I don't know if he was new, or just not terribly well suited for the job, but I really felt for him as he fell behind, got orders wrong, and was too-often rudely treated by guests. I hope he either gets the hang of it or gets put into another, lower-stress position soon.

Overall, we loved our cruise. I'm already secretly checking out future sailings. I'd be happy to answer any questions! Thanks for reading.

we were on the same sailing and I'm in major 'cruise 'withdrawl' :(

I miss our stateroom looking out onto the sea.

I miss playing trivia for a pen.

I miss the Molecular Bar and the Liquid Chef (very nice man)

I miss dinner at the Cuvee and having a somelier pair wines with our dinner

I miss going to a show every night.

I miss 85 degree weather.

I miss cooked to order omelets every morning.

I know! Ours is a hard, hard lot. LOL.

I forgot to mention how cool it was that the Liquid Chef himself, Junior Merino, was on board mixing drinks. I overheard him talking with another passenger about how he does one stint a year on Celebrity. His Tanned Russian was "dessert" on more than on occasion on this cruise!

I know! Ours is a hard, hard lot. LOL.

I forgot to mention how cool it was that the Liquid Chef himself, Junior Merino, was on board mixing drinks. I overheard him talking with another passenger about how he does one stint a year on Celebrity. His Tanned Russian was "dessert" on more than on occasion on this cruise!

Glad you had a good cruise:) I have met Junior 2 or 3 different times!

He is quite a guy and sure knows the beverage business:D

Thanks for your review! Great job. We are doing a western this fall on the Reflection, I can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Dawn,...you are sailing on 11/8? Me too:D...there is a roll call

started. Come say hello:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943909

Nice review. I read your first two parts also.

We were on the same cruise.

We were also sad to miss GC, but understand about the weather, and take these things in stride.

We felt the ship looked great! Staff were very attentive (if stretched at times) and food was terrific.

We ate in the Tuscan grille once, when we joined a bunch we met at the M&M. Awesome food and service. Agree with your over-the-top comment. We can't do that more than once per cruise or we'd never fit into our clothes. :p

We spent all our aboard time in the Solarium, and while it was busy, we usually managed to find some loungers.

My only complaint was that they didn't have enough adjustment up / down.

We took advantage of the "book-on-board" promotion, and booked the same cruise, same time of year, even the same cabin for next year. :D

...Formal night was that night, and it was lovely to see so many people looking so fine. Here's another time the A group annoyed me a bit: they chose to have a "70s party" on that night, so mingling among the tuxes and gowns were folks in goofy Afro wigs and loud bell-bottom/hippie outfits. It just seemed tacky to me. And I'm usually good humored! I swear!...

Yeah, I was flabergasted when I walked into the MDR and saw this. :eek:

To so blatantly disregard the suggested dress code for that evening was kind of nervy, I think.

Fortunately, they were all seated together on one side of the dining room, and we were on the opposite side.

My question was why didn't they dress in this manner a different night?

Oh well. After some strong medication (wine), I soon forgot about them. :p

We were on this cruise as well and we felt the same way about their ill-timed costume party. Unfortunately, our table was NOT on the other side of the restaurant, but right next to their group. Oh well, like the OP, we decided not to let their party clothing affect our wonderful evening.

It was a truly wonderful cruise! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi Dawn,...you are sailing on 11/8? Me too:D...there is a roll call

started. Come say hello:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943909

Lois, I have! Just have not posted a lot. I got the app recently so it will be easier to post more often. See ya over there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums