Is Cruising losing the shine like flying? Or is it just an off week on the Westerdam?

Averyblessedguy

We have always enjoyed cruising, regardless of the line chosen. HAL seems to be the best fit for us at the present time. However, I must admit that cruising has "lost some of its shine" for us. I have attributed this to the fact that we are getting older, and to the fact that once you have done something many times, it ceases to be fresh and loses some of the excitement it generated when cruising was brand new to us. I also must admit that cruising has changed over the years, and not necessarily for the better in many ways. I find myself looking at all different forms of travel now, when I used to think cruising was the best way years ago. I can't really cite one example of why we feel this way, it is just a general attitude change brought on by any number of factors that influence the way one thinks.....little issues with food, service, pricing, transportation, hotels, or the whole general feel or experience on a ship can reflect on future plans. This applies to all forms of travel. I keep an open mind, and if I feel a particular trip will benefit from HAL being involved, I will do it. But I also like experiencing other modes of travel, even independent travel now......something I probably would not have considered a few years back.

..what others seem to find that when 1 or 2 (sometimes a few more) find to be a bit "off," I find the total opposite when I am on that ship. This is NOT to say that they were bad or "off" as you found on your cruise, it is just to say I find the total opposite.

(The word OFF is used by me as an all inclusive term of the OP's findings to us. It is not meant as anything negative, so I hope y'all won't flame me, especially the OP:) )

Case in point just a year or so ago so many members were reporting problems they and others had on Zuiderdam that went on for at least 2 or 3 months. But when I boarded her with quite a few CC members who've posted on this thread, I believe only one of us had a problem.

I'll be boarding the Westerdam, my 2nd favorite ship in the HAL Fleet, in 80 days and will report back at that time on our findings of her.

I think a few of the "off" problems could be because yours was the first cruise after her dry dock. Just a thought as I have seen many posts after other ships come out of dry dock with problems of being "off".

Joanie

Are you saying the conditions on the Zuiderdam had improved by the time you boarded, or are you discounting the issues that I and many others suffered through on our Panama repositioning cruise in 2012? The problems were discussed at great length and a few of us were essentially called liars.

Having said that, we will be boarding the Zuiderdam with our friends from Vancouver in about two hours and we are confidently looking forward to a wonderful Panama repositioning cruise. :)

I think cruising today may require the lowering of some expectations. It's a sad reality but when you consider the value you get from a cruise, I believe it's still a terrific vacation.

We are not as experienced as many on these boards, but I've learned there is enough good/bad/ugly on all the lines we've cruised on. Luckily many of the things that are cut-backs, are not bothersome to us. While I like pleasant and timely service, if people don't learn or remember my name, my drink etc, it doesn't bother me. Outright rudeness, very slow service, those tend to irk me. I guess it helps we eat outside the MDR most of the time! :)

My expectations for a flight is to get me to the destination. I expect that along the way, I will be cramped, uncomfortable, subjected to long lines, often met with sub-par service and cranky passengers. My expectations for a cruise are much higher than that. :)

Are you saying the conditions on the Zuiderdam had improved by the time you boarded, or are you discounting the issues that I and many others suffered through on our Panama repositioning cruise in 2012? The problems were discussed at great length and a few of us were essentially called liars.

Having said that, we will be boarding the Zuiderdam with our friends from Vancouver in about two hours and we are confidently looking forward to a wonderful Panama repositioning cruise. :)

I hope you have a wonderful vacation Sapper!!!:)

I think cruising today may require the lowering of some expectations. It's a sad reality but when you consider the value you get from a cruise, I believe it's still a terrific vacation.

We are not as experienced as many on these boards, but I've learned there is enough good/bad/ugly on all the lines we've cruised on. Luckily many of the things that are cut-backs, are not bothersome to us. While I like pleasant and timely service, if people don't learn or remember my name, my drink etc, it doesn't bother me. Outright rudeness, very slow service, those tend to irk me. I guess it helps we eat outside the MDR most of the time! :)

My expectations for a flight is to get me to the destination. I expect that along the way, I will be cramped, uncomfortable, subjected to long lines, often met with sub-par service and cranky passengers. My expectations for a cruise are much higher than that. :)

I very much agree with you Katie, and I must add that the airlines are the worst....getting there is not half the fun anymore.....

PS As a fellow cat lover, I love your "kitties" on your avatar!:D

I remember those issues you faced all too well.

Here's hoping that this cruise is a wonderful one and you have a fabulous time:D

bon voyage!!! we'll be looking for you on the webcam:D

I very much agree with you Katie, and I must add that the airlines are the worst....getting there is not half the fun anymore.....

PS As a fellow cat lover, I love your "kitties" on your avatar!:D

Thanks Linda - they are my babies though much bigger than that today (but still as adorable lol).

The status of flying today is terrible, honestly, when I don't feel violated by security or forced to wait 2 hours for a delay, I consider myself ahead of the game. It does put a damper on the overall vacation, but I suppose that's why when I get on the ship, I'm that much happier!

Cruising is loosing a bit of it's shine for us. But for different reasons.

We once viewed cruising as a good getaway vacation from the stresses of work. Now that we are retired we find that cruising does not give us the time we need at each location-either to see the sights or truly experience the locale.

So now we use cruising as a break from land based travel. We are going to spend Sept/Oct in the Med area-Sardinia, Malta, Sicily, Greece/Turkey. We have done a number of Med cruises but will most likely buy a short notice cruise only as a way of breaking up the land trip and providing some variety.

I suspect this may change as we get older and may not want to do as many independent land trips as we do now.

Edited by iancal

Have a wonderful time

I am sorry that the OP had a disappointing cruise.

We were last on the Westy in the fall of '12 on her 30 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. I saw none of what was mentioned. The staff was all awesome, several are my 'friends' and we still keep in contact.

If you think of what the staff is doing for what they're being paid, it is pretty amazing. You pay me that little to do that much, expect me to put on the :D for everyone and be ready to take the blame for something that isn't my fault... my yappy, East Coast Alpha Male personality isn't going to do that for so little.

Maybe it is my white guilt, but anyway I can help them I do while on board. They're working hard enough.

Derek

Princess does not seem to have to wait staff problems like Hal.

Interesting in that we tried (Sapphire) Princess last fall as an alternative to HAL and experienced many of the negative issues attributed to HAL in this thread. An endless litany of details falling through the cracks along with obvious staff apathy towards customer needs and requests (this last item was not ubiquitous, but was far too common). Because of this we have come running back to HAL (where our one experience was overwhelmingly positive) and have two cruises scheduled for this summer. My suspicion is that, with the reduced staffing on HAL and other lines, the general stress level of the crew has been elevated while at the same time there is little room for maneuver if their expected routines break down.

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing cruise averyblessedguy - hopefully it was an exception to the rule - everyone has a "chef's night-off" experience now and then.

I'm glad to hear the Westerdam just came out of dry dock as we are boarding her for an Alaskan trip in August.

Edited by drgrinch
Punctuation error

Interesting in that we tried (Sapphire) Princess last fall as an alternative to HAL and experienced many of the negative issues attributed to HAL in this thread. An endless litany of details falling through the cracks along with obvious staff apathy towards customer needs and requests (this last item was not ubiquitous, but was far too common). Because of this we have come running back to HAL (where our one experience was overwhelmingly positive) and have two cruises scheduled for this summer. My suspicion is that, with the reduced staffing on HAL and other lines, the general stress level of the crew has been elevated while at the same time there is little room for maneuver if their expected routines break down.

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing cruise averyblessedguy - hopefully it was an exception to the rule - everyone has a "chef's night-off" experience now and then.

I'm glad to hear the Westerdam just came out of dry dock as we are boarding her for an Alaskan trip in August.

That's the exact princess ship I've been on and it's been great. I would never accuse you and say it was not true. Sorry it's been bad for you on Princess.

That's the exact princess ship I've been on and it's been great. I would never accuse you and say it was not true. Sorry it's been bad for you on Princess.

Interesting, which cruise destination if I may ask? Our PCL experience was to the Mexican Rivera during Thanksgiving break and the clientele was markedly different (and certainly more demanding of the staff) than our Alaskan cruise on HAL. I had heard that Princess was broadly comprable to HAL in quality which was why we gave them a try. I have noted on these threads that different cruises attract different demographics, but had never considered how this might impact the staff and level of service (if this is indeed a cause of the service discrepancies reported).

I'm not high maintenance as you seem to be suggesting. I expect not to ask water glasses to be filled several times before it happens. I also expect the waiter to give me a menu and not have to look at someone else's. I also don't think it should take 45 min after ordering to see any food. I'm glad your service was good but please don't make out like anyone that expects any service is asking too much.

Having read many of your past posts, I do not doubt your experience and understand your reaction. I too would be disappointed at the level of service you encountered.

I wonder if a large percentage of the crew changed during the Dry Dock time frame? We were on the 3/22 sailing and the service was excellent. Our room stewards knew our names and introduced himself and addressed us by name as we first arrived at our cabin. He seemed to know everyone in "his" cabins as he would greet everyone by name if he saw you in the hallway. Our waiters were attentive and called us all by name by the second night. The wine steward was a bit pushy and brusk but, frankly he and the Pinnacle Grill Manager were the only ones we encountered with a less than stellar attitude and the PG Manager was fine dealing with guests, he was just rude and pushy to the wait staff and was not at all discreet about it . I would be interested to know who the Beverage person was you witnessed acting inappropriately. I can't recall his name, but the Beverage Manager on our sailing came to our CC M&G and was a perfect gentleman, but, of course that can change in an instant given circumstances.

I sincerely hope your experience and that of the OP are not some kind of "New Niorm" on the Westerdam. I also hope you both brought your concerns to the HM's attention so that the issues can be addressed.

All that being said, I really don't blame anyone for trying different lines, especially if they encounter less than acceptable service in their eyes. We are planning a cruise on Celebrity in the future and we have two sets of friends from Church that we all want to cruise together, but they are devoted NCL fans, so we will likely give that a try as well. With all the choices out there I think it best to try different things and see what you like best.

Edited by K&RCurt

Interesting, which cruise destination if I may ask? Our PCL experience was to the Mexican Rivera during Thanksgiving break and the clientele was markedly different (and certainly more demanding of the staff) than our Alaskan cruise on HAL. I had heard that Princess was broadly comprable to HAL in quality which was why we gave them a try. I have noted on these threads that different cruises attract different demographics, but had never considered how this might impact the staff and level of service (if this is indeed a cause of the service discrepancies reported).

Mexico and Alaska. Thanksgiving week would be a challenge on Any line. The sapphire is gone to Asia now so that ship has sailed

I do not 'buy' a lot of what appears to me to be excuses about why on occasion some cruise ships/resorts, etc offer less than satisfactory service or cabins/rooms that are less than satisfactory.

When we dine on a shipboard restaurant we expect reasonable service and reasonable food. The same goes for all other on board service venues. And when we get to our cabin we expect it to be clean, the furniture and soft goods to be in reasonable condition, a functioning bathroom, and air condition/heating that works.

These are not unrealistic expectations for any customer. We do not really care if the crew is new, the ship is just out of dry dock, the ship is a little old. Not one of these is a reasonable excuse to us, or a way or rationalizing a substandard experience.

We pay the rate and we expect the promised product and level of service. No ifs, ands, buts, or excuses. Excuses are for management and proprietors-not for customers. I have never understood why some people seem to feel obligated to make excuses or apologies for their preferred cruise lines when another customer has voiced an unsatisfactory experience.

Edited by iancal

I do not 'buy' a lot of what appears to me to be excuses about why on occasion some cruise ships/resorts, etc offer less than satisfactory service or cabins/rooms that are less than satisfactory.

When we dine on a shipboard restaurant we expect reasonable service and reasonable food. The same goes for all other on board service venues. And when we get to our cabin we expect it to be clean, the furniture and soft goods to be in reasonable condition, a functioning bathroom, and air condition/heating that works.

These are not unrealistic expectations for any customer. We do not really care if the crew is new, the ship is just out of dry dock, the ship is a little old. Not one of these is a reasonable excuse to us, or a way or rationalizing a substandard experience.

We pay the rate and we expect the promised product and level of service. No ifs, ands, buts, or excuses. Excuses are for management and proprietors-not for customers. I have never understood why some people seem to feel obligated to make excuses or apologies for their preferred cruise lines when another customer has voiced an unsatisfactory experience.

There is a lot of truth to what you have said here.....and I heartily agree.

I agree with what you have said. At least in my previous post I am more seeking an explanation rather than an excuse. More because I would like to know if the issues are likely to be "ironed out" or if they are somehow systemic.

There is no doubt that if I had experienced what was reported here, I would likely not book another cruise on the ship. But, having experienced no such issues on the same ship less than a month prior, it makes me wonder what happened and which experience I should expect if I sailed the same ship again.

Edited by K&RCurt

I think the change to automatic daily tips has greatly reduced the incentive for good service.

To the OP, I strongly disagree with this statement as the guests always have the option of lowering or removing the gratuities, and when gratuities are removed the form asks why. You better believe if reasons are given and those reasons involve staff, those reasons are looked into by ship's management

I asked for a table tonight in the MDR where the service might be better. It's was VERY good tonight. I must have told the waiter 3 times how much I appreciated the service. I'm not asking for much. So happy! I have asked for that table for the rest of the cruise.

Edited by cruz chic

I asked for a table tonight in the MDR where the service might be better. It's was VERY good tonight. I must have told the waiter 3 times how much I appreciated the service. I'm not asking for much. So happy! I have asked for that table for the rest of the cruise.

That is great news:D sounds much more like the service we had on her in the MDR last time:D Now you can really enjoy the MDR:)

I did not see a Bon Voyage for you Cruz Chic, but I hope you have a wonderful cruise.....Happy Sailing to You!:)

OK---so the trick is to ask when you first go to the MDR for a table with good service as opposed to a table with iffy service? I would also ask for a cabin serviced by good staff instead of a team that is lax, and don't forget to ask in advance which bartenders are attentive and where they are working.

I'm happy that you found a table with excellent waiters but I must be crazy or very high maintenance because I don't think having to ask for good service is a good thing.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Cruising has changed.

HAL has changed.

All the cruise lines are experiencing cut backs due to the economy.

The dining room staff have way more passengers to serve that what they used to have -- thus less time to talk.

Desserts -- we have probably had only a couple of desserts in the last several years that I would rave about. HAL's desserts have gone down hill.

Even in the Pinnacle Grill we used to be able to get a great chocolate soufflé -- not on our recent cruise -- it was very dense.

Cabin stewards now have way more cabins to take of then just 6 or 7 years ago.

I read other boards -- Princess -- Cunard -- RCI -- same complaints. Cruising has changed from what many of us knew back in the 80's and 90's.

The above is all SO true!! HAL was our favorite line in the 80's & 90’s, even early 2000’s , but boy have things changed!! So much we no longer cruise-with HAL.

I would rather save my money, have a few less cruises a year & have high quality!! When we compared HAL's cost to the ALL inclusive Regent we only spend maybe $200 -$300 more per cruise & and the quality on Regent is far, far above current HAL in all areas. The food & desserts are EXCELLENT!!!!

"Food" for thought!;)