Is Cruising losing the shine like flying? Or is it just an off week on the Westerdam?

Averyblessedguy

Thanks for the best wishes everyone. I did get a chance to watch a replay of the Sailaway and we, along with our Vancouver friends were certainly recognisable. We had the only Canadian flag.

AC is working in our cabin and so is the toilet. We're happy on the Zuiderdam.

Thanks for the best wishes everyone. I did get a chance to watch a replay of the Sailaway and we, along with our Vancouver friends were certainly recognisable. We had the only Canadian flag.

There is no greater pleasure than cool A/C and a well-functioning toilet!:D So glad, at least, that part is a rousing success! Hope the rest of your trip is more than wonderful!:)

OK---so the trick is to ask when you first go to the MDR for a table with good service as opposed to a table with iffy service? I would also ask for a cabin serviced by good staff instead of a team that is lax, and don't forget to ask in advance which bartenders are attentive and where they are working.

I'm happy that you found a table with excellent waiters but I must be crazy or very high maintenance because I don't think having to ask for good service is a good thing.

Service and Hal do not go hand in hand at times. The service started out very bad on this ship so I'm delighted. I did not want to go thru another night having to borrow someone else's menu or go without water because the waiter is to disorganized. That's why I asked for a table where I was likely to get good service.

So far, so good! ;):D

Service and Hal do not go hand in hand at times. The service started out very bad on this ship so I'm delighted. I did not want to go thru another night having to borrow someone else's menu or go without water because the waiter is to disorganized. That's why I asked for a table where I was likely to get good service.

I've never had any concerns/issues dining in the Lido! Perhaps you should give it a try. ;)

I've never had any concerns/issues dining in the Lido! Perhaps you should give it a try. ;)

why?????????? some of us like to be served. that's why we cruise;)

Eating in a cafeteria is not a holiday. I'll leave that up to you because I know that's more your style.

Totally agree - the day I have to line up for dinner is the day I don't cruise:D

So happy you are all set now with good service.

Nothing nicer than a right MDR experience:D

why?????????? some of us like to be served. that's why we cruise;)

Totally agree - the day I have to line up for dinner is the day I don't cruise:D

So happy you are all set now with good service.

Nothing nicer than a right MDR experience:D

So agree. Who wants to go to all the expense and travel involved with a cruise just to eat in a mess hall? It's OK in a pinch but I prefer to be served.

We were on the cruise just before dry dock too. Perhaps it was just my particular experience. Glad to hear a few of you thought it was great. Gives me hope. Sad to see so many agree that it is in decline. I may have to try Regent.

Have a blessed Easter !!! And keep cruising

So agree. Who wants to go to all the expense and travel involved with a cruise just to eat in a mess hall? It's OK in a pinch but I prefer to be served.

Us too. On most cruises we never step foot in the Lido. The other times, we'll go to the Late Night Snack where it's usually deserted.

One might be tempted to infer that there is a reason why these ships offer a variety of choices. We too enjoy being served, but not every night on a two week cruise. You can count on us dinining three times in the Pinnacle and twice in the Canaletto to scratch that itch. But for everyday dinner, a brief trip through the chow line followed by the best and most attentive service, we find the Lido hard to beat.

We are at the other side of the spectrum. We have discovered that the one area where HAL cannot provide great service is in the MDR. We have rarely enjoyed our experience there. The atmosphere of the MDR leaves so much to be desired - it is loud, busy, crowded, and a general assault to the senses. The food tends to fall toward luke warm to cold and the service is far from personal. The MDR is the perfect example of a food factory at its best.

We are at the other side of the spectrum. We have discovered that the one area where HAL cannot provide great service is in the MDR. We have rarely enjoyed our experience there. The atmosphere of the MDR leaves so much to be desired - it is loud, busy, crowded, and a general assault to the senses. The food tends to fall toward luke warm to cold and the service is far from personal. The MDR is the perfect example of a food factory at its best.

what a shame to hear this. Just off the Maasdam and after the first night the service just got better and better. Food was very good.

Previous cruise on the Prinsendam - what can I say? Again, after the first night it was great and the food was very, very , very edible.

And yes, I am a good cook and very fussy. If I don't like it, I don't eat it:D;)

Our experience on our 11 day Noordam cruise where we disembarked in February was just the opposite. Of the many HAL cruises we've taken, the service and the food was by far the best. There were times on other cruises where the service was slow, but our food has never been lukewarm or cold.I too would have been upset if that happened to us.

We were very fortunate to not be on the cruises on HAL that you have taken, because of the MDR service.

Edited by kjw869

Our experience on our 11 day Noordam cruise where we disembarked in February was just the opposite. Of the many HAL cruises we've taken, the service and the food was by far the best. There were times on other cruises where the service was slow, but our food has never been lukewarm or cold.I too would have been upset if that happened to us.

We were very fortunate to not be on the cruises on HAL that you have taken, because of the MDR service.

I don't think that we will ever forget trying the creme brûlée and finding it frozen in the middle. I realize that HAL uses a lot of frozen products, but I wasn't expecting the creme brûlée to be frozen and it was quite a surprise to have it served that way.

There is a silver lining. As a result of our experience with the MDR, we have found the speciality dining options to be superb. We absolutely love the Tamarind and wish it was available fleet wide. The Pinnacle Grill is great and can be made better by expanding its menu. And my most favourite is room service breakfast on our balcony.

We will try the MDR again on our upcoming cruise. Different ships and different experiences. Keeping our fingers crossed for a wonderful experience.

I don't think that we will ever forget trying the creme brûlée and finding it frozen in the middle. I realize that HAL uses a lot of frozen products, but I wasn't expecting the creme brûlée to be frozen and it was quite a surprise to have it served that way.

There is a silver lining. As a result of our experience with the MDR, we have found the speciality dining options to be superb. We absolutely love the Tamarind and wish it was available fleet wide. The Pinnacle Grill is great and can be made better by expanding its menu. And my most favourite is room service breakfast on our balcony.

We will try the MDR again on our upcoming cruise. Different ships and different experiences. Keeping our fingers crossed for a wonderful experience.

The last time we were on the Eurodam, we had dinner three times in the Pinnacle, twice in the Tamarind and one dinner in San Juan, PR on our 7-day cruise.

Once at a Ruth Chris Steak House my baked potato was cold. You think that when you pay $47 for a steak you could get a potato that's warm;. So far that hasn't happened on a HAL dinner.