Sail away song?

Freedom55

Off Topic!

The song was by Johnny Horton. He also sang "Battle of New Orleans" and quite a few other songs with historical backgrounds. He was killed in a car wreck in Texas in the middle of his career.

I guess Johnny's Sink the Bismarck would probably make some ship goers uncomfortable. :eek: :D

The Beach Boys

:D Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take ya

Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama

Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go

Jamaica off the Florida Keys

There's a place called Kokomo

That's where you wanna go to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand

Tropical drink melting in your hand

We'll be falling in love

To the rhythm of a steel drum band

Down in Kokomo

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you

To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama

Down to Kokomo

We'll get there fast

And then we'll take it slow

That's where we wanna go

Way down to Kokomo

To Martinique, that Monserrat mystique

We'll put out to sea

And we'll perfect our chemistry

By and by we'll defy a little bit of gravity

Afternoon delight

cocktails and moonlit nights

That dreamy look in your eye

Give me a tropical contact high

Way down in Kokomo

Down to Kokomo

We'll get there fast

That's where we wanna go

Way down to Kokomo

Port Au Prince I wanna catch a glimpse

Everybody knows

A little place like Kokomo

Now if you wanna go

And get away from it all

Go down to Kokomo

Down to Kokomo

We'll get there fast

That's where we wanna go

Way down to Kokomo

Down to Kokomo

We'll get there fast

That's where we wanna go

Way down to Kokomo

Down to Kokomo

We'll get there fast and then we'll take

it slow That's where we wanna go

Way down to Kokomo

:p

"The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin (Live version...from "How the West was Won") even if it's not actually about the ocean !!:D Heck...play the whole album !! Better yet, just plug in my iPod !!

Sorry...my idea of sail-away songs is probably wayyyyyyyyyyy different than most !!:D

Woody

"The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin (Live version...from "How the West was Won") even if it's not actually about the ocean !!:D Heck...play the whole album !! Better yet, just plug in my iPod !!

Sorry...my idea of sail-away songs is probably wayyyyyyyyyyy different than most !!:D

Woody

Yes it is!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

"Conquest of Paradise" by Vangelis, from the movie"1492"

My first choice would be silence, so I could listen to my ipod if I choose. My second choice would be anything like the above mentioned soundtrack. That whole CD is a winner. Most instrumental movie soundtracks work nicely, including some tracks from Titanic, Braveheart, King Arthur, The Mission, Pearl Harbor, Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator, House of Sand and Fog, Hidden Dragon, Star Trek, etc.

At the very least, an instrumental that is not intrusively blaring. Sailaway music should be background music. I avoid sailaway parties where all the energy is focussed on the "party band" (rather than the views) playing the same old songs they always play (AND ARE REQUIRED to play - Celebration, Margarittaville, We are Family, YMCA, etc.) That music is marketing at it's finest, to encourage people to spend more on drinks, and it is usually INTRUSIVELY LOUD :rolleyes:.

Although I am not a fan of those songs myself (as I have heard them WAY TOO MANY TIMES over the DECADES, and on EVERY mass market ship I have been on), there is a place for them. I just avoid them, especially at sailaway, and enjoy my cocktail with a view and music to my own liking ;).

I worked for Royal Viking Line (no longer exists but was upscale line similar to Crystal) ... They always played a fun little ditty sung by a Norwegian kids group, "As we sail away..etc." while waiters passed champagne & serpentines and passengers all gathered on the wraparound teak decks to toss the serpentines (coiled paper streamers) down to people on the pier, waving goodbye.

Those were the days when you could have bon voyage parties for your friends on board, so they would gather below (after "All visitors ashore please") on the pier and try to catch your streamer. After a while there were hundreds of colorful streamers connecting.

Then as the ship sailed, the horn sounded, and the streamers tore in half as it moved from the pier, symbolic of cutting your ties with land.

All very romantic! (Yes, I'm old. That was in the 80s.)

I worked for Royal Viking Line (no longer exists but was upscale line similar to Crystal) ... They always played a fun little ditty sung by a Norwegian kids group, "As we sail away..etc." while waiters passed champagne & serpentines and passengers all gathered on the wraparound teak decks to toss the serpentines (coiled paper streamers) down to people on the pier, waving goodbye.

Those were the days when you could have bon voyage parties for your friends on board, so they would gather below (after "All visitors ashore please") on the pier and try to catch your streamer. After a while there were hundreds of colorful streamers connecting.

Then as the ship sailed, the horn sounded, and the streamers tore in half as it moved from the pier, symbolic of cutting your ties with land.

Wow, that sounds really cool!

w

Those were the days! I actually remember going to a Bon Voyage Party on board with all the fan fare - I was still a child then.

My wife hates it when I sing "My Heart Will Go On" while we are on the ship. Three weeks ago on the Equinox they played the instrumental version of that song three times, that we heard. I laughed, she was not amused.

There are 2 songs that I recall Celebrity playing at sail away in the 90s. One was "Simply the Best" by Tina Turner, which was also their theme song in their commercials in the 90s. The other was "Conquest of Paradise" by Vangelis, from the movie"1492"

I could not place that song from conquest of Paradise, nor did I know why I should know it but it was played many times on our first cruise in 2000. I even recorded the pool band playing it so i could try to figure out where it came from. fast forward 14 years and I still did not know...until today. Thanks. It was a really pretty and eerie song all in one. My sail away favorite is calypso

Lots of good suggestions above! I'm a sucker for "My Heart Will Go On," but I imagine some folks don't want to hear it on a cruise ship. ;) "Leaving Port" from the Titanic soundtrack would work very well.

NCL ships leaving New York and passing by the Statue of Liberty play Lee *********'s "Proud to be an American." It would work for Celebrity's Cape Liberty departures.

[Hmm... Lee's last name is censored by Cruise Critic. No idea why. It's Green and wood put together.]