First time in a suite

lomo

I'm really excited, because I just got the opportunity to upgrade to an S class suite on my Canada/New England cruise on the Maasdam. I have never sailed on Holland America before, but have cruised in a mini-suite on Princess and Norwegian. I was wondering if some of you could share your experiences in the suites and what I can expect. Also, any advice or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

You will love it and not want to go back to a smaller cabin! We sailed in an S-suite on the Ryndam (as well as a Visa-class ships), and the suite in the Ryndam (same size as the Maasdam) was huge! We loved that there was a sink outside the bathroom in the dressing area, and the verandah was enormous!

You will love the Neptune lounge and its concierge service-- it was certainly enough for breakfast and lunch for me on most days, and we loved one-stop shopping at the concierge for all our travel needs. You'll love the "complimentary" laundry, dry cleaning, and pressing, and priority embarkation, disembarkation, and tendering.

Have a wonderful trip -- there is nothing not to love about an S-suite!

We only do suites.

You are going to love it. You'll never want to go back to a smaller cabin.

Large cabin, big bathroom, big verandah.

Neptune Lounge to grab a quick bite. The concierge can also make reservations for you for the Pinnacle - cash travelor's checks - take care of shore excursions.

Yes, you'll be spoiled forever! Very, very nice accommodations. And the concierge is convenient and helpful. It's nice to not have to schlep down to the front desk when you need to take care of something or turn in your disembarkation advice form or such as that.

Congratulations on being able to get the S Suite. Let me tell you that is really a plus. We just did the 7 day Candna/New England on the Maasdam two week ago. We had booked the cruise in July 2004 then in November we decided we really wanted to upgrade to the S Suite. We were on the waiting list from November 21st till we boarded July 9th and were not as lucky as you. We still had an absolutely wonderful time we were lucky enough to still have a balcony. You will love the staff and the ship. Oh and the food the Maasdam prepares is one of the best we have ever had.

You will also enjoy have the Suite perks you will have priority tendoring in Bar Harbor and the concierge can do pretty much anything you need done. One thing we really did miss was not being able to go to the Neptune Lounge for a little snack in the morning and in the afternoon. DH loves the little open face ham snack sandwich. I missed not being to go down to get my coffee or an cranberry ice tea (I mix a little tea and cranberry juice together;) )

Fortunately I will not have to worry about missing the extras, our next 4 cruises we are booked in S Suites.

The "S" suites on Maasdam (and all the other 'dam' ships) are really wonderful. The Vista ship "S" are not as large or comfortable as the others IMO but still very nice.

We have spent well over a year of our lives in the "S" on the various ships and once you call that cabin home, it's hard to book anything else in the future.

Enjoy it. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. We just did back-to-backs on Maasdam for the Canada/New England in June. Great cruise(s).

Last December we booked our first S Suite on the Westerdam. It was such a lovely experience that my DH (who pays for our trips) is quite content to pay for a suite for each of our four upcoming cruises.

Needless to say, I feel really, really decadent.

Having the concierge and the Neptune Lounge is MARVELOUS! The level of service is terrific.

One thing to remember - be sure to tip the concierges. Usually, there are two of them. I think we gave each of them $25.00 and I gave the waitress in the Neptune Lounge $10.00, which definitely was NOT expected. She was extremely pleased to receive it - not so much for the money, but for the recognition.

Roberta

Thanks everyone for your great replys. Now, I am more excited than ever to experience our cruise in an S suite. If you can think of any other tips, advice, suggestions, or other information please continue to send it my way.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.

Last December we booked our first S Suite on the Westerdam. It was such a lovely experience that my DH (who pays for our trips) is quite content to pay for a suite for each of our four upcoming cruises.

Needless to say, I feel really, really decadent.

Having the concierge and the Neptune Lounge is MARVELOUS! The level of service is terrific.

One thing to remember - be sure to tip the concierges. Usually, there are two of them. I think we gave each of them $25.00 and I gave the waitress in the Neptune Lounge $10.00, which definitely was NOT expected. She was extremely pleased to receive it - not so much for the money, but for the recognition.

Roberta

I agree that tipping the steward or stewardess (from Pinnacle) who works in Neptune is a nice thing to do. Actually, I think that most Suite pax who make use of the lounge leave them a little something. I know we have always 'said thank you in an appropriate way' to the person who sets up and cleans and helps us with all the lovely snacks and coffees etc

Thanks everyone for your great replys. Now, I am more excited than ever to experience our cruise in an S suite. If you can think of any other tips, advice, suggestions, or other information please continue to send it my way.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.

IMO, the best advise anyone can share with you is to simply enjoy it. Be comfortable; be happy; enjoy!!! The "suite" life does not take a lot of getting used to. It's really quite easy. :)

Archived