First time carribean cruise suggestion

love_travel

I've done both, the eastern and the southern itineraries. Although I like the eastern itinerary, and airfare is cheaper because it leaves out of Florida, I greatly prefer the southern itinerary. The cruise fare is usually a little cheaper, which helps even out the total cost when you add in the airfare, and the ports of call are much better.

I have a cruise critic group that is going to the southern caribbean on the Carnival Destiny next June, and we will be visiting St. Thomas (which is on both itineraries) and Dominica, Barbados, and Aruba. Most eastern itineraries have 3 ports of call, whereas the southern has 4, and two of them stay in port until late at night. Since my family really enjoys more port-intensive itineraries rather than a lot of days at sea, that makes the southern itinerary perfect for us.

If you think you might be interested in doing the southern itinerary in June, click here to check out the pricing and amenities for the cruise critic group. :)

You might also want to consider a W. Carib. itinerary. They usually include places such as the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Mexico, etc. A couple of years ago we took the Zenith out of Jacksonville on an extensive 14-night cruise billed as Western/Southern, which took us to places like Panama, Costa Rica & Roatan in addition to the locations previously mentioned. We also visited Key West on that trip. It's something to think about, in addition to the E. & S. options.

Jack

Archived