Liberty in Bayonne... Pricing for Summer 2015 Double Freedom from Florida?

I'm from New Jersey, and I have also been watching closely for Summer 2015 itineraries and pricing. Yesterday when they announced that Quantum is leaving and the Liberty would be sailing from Bayonne during this timeframe, I went online to find that itineraries were loaded onto the website and no pricing was available... today pricing came up. I priced 2 E-level balcony cabins (connecting E1 and E3) for my family of 5 for the 9-night itinerary. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that the price was nearly $14K total for 5 of us. WHAT?!

Just for giggles, I checked the Freedom (same class) for the same week leaving Florida on the 7-night - in the identical cabins as what I was looking at on the Liberty, the Freedom priced out at $7100. So I know, comparing a 9-night to a 7-night, but DOUBLE the price???

I did do an additional comparisons - just to see what the competition is doing in the same market... the Breakaway (NCL's newest ship) sails the 7-day Bermuda the same week as well. Again, a 7-night vs. a 9-night, but the pricing on the Breakaway for 2 mid-ship balcony staterooms for my same 5 people came to a total of ~$9100 ---- for anyone who is not a math whiz out there, that is nearly $5000 less.

Celebrity Summit (btw...owned by the same parent company) also does a 7-night Bermuda itinerary from the same pier in Bayonne the same week as the Liberty itinerary... $~7600 for my family of 5 in 2 Veranda staterooms.

I just have to wonder if Royal pricing themselves out of the NY/NJ market? Here's hoping that they realize that the math is not working for them... or am I totally off my game and missing something that would make this 9-night on the Liberty from Bayonne worth THIS kind of money???

I'm from New Jersey, and I have also been watching closely for Summer 2015 itineraries and pricing. Yesterday when they announced that Quantum is leaving and the Liberty would be sailing from Bayonne during this timeframe, I went online to find that itineraries were loaded onto the website and no pricing was available... today pricing came up. I priced 2 E-level balcony cabins (connecting E1 and E3) for my family of 5 for the 9-night itinerary. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that the price was nearly $14K total for 5 of us. WHAT?!

Just for giggles, I checked the Freedom (same class) for the same week leaving Florida on the 7-night - in the identical cabins as what I was looking at on the Liberty, the Freedom priced out at $7100. So I know, comparing a 9-night to a 7-night, but DOUBLE the price???

I did do an additional comparisons - just to see what the competition is doing in the same market... the Breakaway (NCL's newest ship) sails the 7-day Bermuda the same week as well. Again, a 7-night vs. a 9-night, but the pricing on the Breakaway for 2 mid-ship balcony staterooms for my same 5 people came to a total of ~$9100 ---- for anyone who is not a math whiz out there, that is nearly $5000 less.

Celebrity Summit (btw...owned by the same parent company) also does a 7-night Bermuda itinerary from the same pier in Bayonne the same week as the Liberty itinerary... $~7600 for my family of 5 in 2 Veranda staterooms.

I just have to wonder if Royal pricing themselves out of the NY/NJ market? Here's hoping that they realize that the math is not working for them... or am I totally off my game and missing something that would make this 9-night on the Liberty from Bayonne worth THIS kind of money???

Do not book it now very few will book at those prices I believe the prices will come down.

You're on the money OP... there are a couple other threads full of posters who reached the exact same conclusion. Not worth it. I was all ready to book Liberty today and booked Oasis instead because of the absurd pricing.

Anthem out of Bayonne for Winter '15-'16 opens for C&A next Friday, and it will be truly interesting to see how it's priced.

Here is my experience:

GS 4 people July 12, 2014 sailing EX: $5500 with tax/port fees (with C&A disc of $125)

GS 4 people July 11, 2015 sailing Liberty: $9330 with tax/port fees. (with C&A disc of $150 >6 mos)

Nearly 4k increase. I do not think I will get 4k worth of increased value. I do not see how Royal is computing this. They're throwing darts at a board again.

Edited by marci22

That would be one I would book using a NCC and monitor for price drops - pretty sure they'll come because those prices are out of line big time. Also would have to be prepared to move to another trip to conserve the NCC;)

If everyone followed your logic why would the prices drop as the cabins are already filled?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Once you hit a 10k price point for 4 you should consider flying to Bermuda and staying there for 5 nights. One of the biggest selling points for cruises to Bermuda is that it is usually cheaper than a land vacation there.

What I don't understand is the 17k Royal Suite prices for some summer sailings. For 34k wouldn't you fly in and stay in a nice hotel and have dinner at the best restaurants every night? Why stay on a packed ship eating beef shoulder and eggplant towers? :confused:

Edited by marci22

We were planning a big Quantum sailing for all of the local family for summer 2015. Since ships changed, and we were all planning to sail together, we decided lets look into Liberty. For my family of 4 in a JS, $13,000! We sailed Explorer of the Seas in 2010, same itinerary, time, cabin…$6,500. Ok the ship is different, time has passed, but double the cost..nope! I can fly to Florida, and take a 7 night Disney cruise for $9,000.( For us, the Disney cruise experience has been the best of all 3 cruise lines we've tried Royal, Disney, Carnival). I am really hoping that the prices will come down A LOT. How can one stay loyal to Royal? It feels like being a resident doesn't help at all either. Hoping for a fix.

For a $6k+ price difference between Liberty from Bayonne and Freedom from Florida, I will have no problem with flying down, taking the connecting cabins on the Freedom and doing the 7-night itinerary and spending a couple days at Disney or Universal. It will still be a great vacation and I'll still probably have money left over. Convenience is nice but not worth paying that kind of money just to avoid a flight.

If everyone followed your logic why would the prices drop as the cabins are already filled?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Because most of the cruising public does not frequent these boards and most do not have NCCs;). If I were to do this it would be because my two favorite cabins are still available and I would be expecting price drops or to forgo the trip if they don't happen. As pointed out by many others, RCCL has priced this ship out of the stratosphere:eek:.

Yikes.... We booked Liberty a few weeks ago for this Monday's (Apr 21) 5 night cruise. It is a D2 balcony and we booked it for two with a bottom line price (fare, taxes, tips, balcony discount) of $942. :cool:

What I don't understand is the 17k Royal Suite prices for some summer sailings. For 34k wouldn't you fly in and stay in a nice hotel and have dinner at the best restaurants every night? Why stay on a packed ship eating beef shoulder and eggplant towers?

From the poster's above comments, I think I'd buy a new car first before I'd pay $34,000 for the Royal Suite, unless we were going to lock ourselves in the room and never come out for the entire cruise.

What I don't understand is the 17k Royal Suite prices for some summer sailings. For 34k wouldn't you fly in and stay in a nice hotel and have dinner at the best restaurants every night? Why stay on a packed ship eating beef shoulder and eggplant towers?

From the poster's above comments, I think I'd buy a new car first before I'd pay $34,000 for the Royal Suite, unless we were going to lock ourselves in the room and never come out for the entire cruise.

I like a nice vacation, but for me, there is a point of diminishing returns. Is someone really going to book this?

I think this will soon all come to an end. Like in life when newest item comes out, it is the most expensive until something newer comes out( like iPhone 5 to iPhone 5s). RCCL would ofcourse the newer ships will have the newer ships priced higher. But using this logic you would think a ship created 1999 wouldn't be as much. I think that this could be because anthem will be porting in Jersey for good. As I stated before just give it time when then newer and bigger cruise comes out. If you are like me, enjoy a cheaper cruise like oasis/allure and find deals

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We returned today from a 9 night cruise on the Explorer for which we paid $1599 per person in a JS, that was prior to the balcony discount. The Liberty is doing the same itinerary May 2015. For the 10 night on the Liberty in a JS, (one day longer) the cost is $2519 per person. Absurd.

Bring the Explorer back to Bayonne after it's dry dock.

Some posters are saying Liberty will get these prices but I can't imagine it. So many people post on cc 'how much is the drink of the day', 'I don't want to tip $12 per day', 'why do i have to pay 15% bar grat' etc etc and then they think they are going to come up with multi hundreds/multi thousands extra for Liberty? I just can't see it.

Really want to sail in Royal from Bayonne, but not for those prices. I already booked Quantum for EAster break 2015 for 3 in a balcony for $3800 and that's a brand new ship, less than Liberty would be.

I am also booked on a 9-night in February on Quantum in a D8 balcony... DH and I for just about $3000 with taxes, pre-paid gratuities and travel insurance. I know it is off-season, but it's a brand new ship.

Lol. An inside room for 2 pp July 2015 is almost 4,000. That is hilarious!!!

I know, AmandaKaye! Those are awful close to suite prices on any other ship sailing from any other U.S. port.... But in Bayonne in 2015, you can't even get a window for that kind of cash. Ridiculous!

I'm just so glad that I'm not the only one who finds the craziness in this pricing.

So for now, we are opting to fly for our family cruise in 2015... We booked the Oasis Western Itinerary in 2 connecting Boardwalk Balcony cabins for just over $8K (WAY more reasonable!). I will continue to watch the Liberty and hope that the pricing will come down to something remotely realistic that makes it worth sailing from Bayonne instead of flying to Florida but for now - we are set and planning has begun!

DH and I have sailed Oasis and think that the kids will absolutely love it! We are not disappointed in our choice, but disappointed that we can't try the Liberty while she will be here, parked in our own backyard.

For others that have commented that they are also hoping for Liberty pricing to drop so that they can sail on her Summer of 2015 - are you opting for cruises leaving from different ports or not cruising at all??? Just curious to know what others are thinking/doing...