SKY Review from a non-partier

gardiner41

My DH and I spent the weekend on the SKY last weekend April 11-14 2014

This was a quick anniversary getaway for us.

Our first cruise under 7 days.

We did a number of things differently this cruise, as we were testing a few things we don't normally do and thought a short cruise would be a good way to do that.

Embarkation:

Smooth and easy as always with NCL

We always fly in the day before (unless it is a new port then we spend a few days pre- or post) and head to the port early.

There are never any lines and I would rather sit and wait in the comfortable terminal than stand in line.

It gives me a chance to read the daily, find out where to drop off my hand luggage (which I usually know ahead from research but want to confirm it is the same for that cruise) and This also ensures we are the first or second group on the ship.

This time we were the first of the general boarding passengers on the ship.

Cabin:

We normally cruise in a balcony Cabin. But we decided after our last cruise in January that we wanted to try an inside or ocean view since after 3 cruises with balconies we spend little time on them and wondered how we would do with an inside or oceanview.

We had a large oceanview window cabin which we found perfectly suitable. We did not miss the balcony at all

(remember this is a SUBJECTIVE review and this is our opinion we know there are many who can not live without their balcony but for us and those like us who do not spend a lot of time in the room, it worked out perfectly)

We found there to be plenty of storage space.

The bathroom was smaller than usual, but perfectly acceptable.

TIP: The spa has a steam room and showers you can use at no charge if you really find the shower to small.

I am a tall woman (5'11" )and on the larger side and found it just fine.

Anniversary Decoration Package:

Since it was our anniversary I had ordered the anniversary decoration and cake package.

We always travel for special occasions and this was the first time I ordered he package to see what we thought of the value.

It was a surprise for my DH and he was thrilled when we walked in the cabin and saw it. As was I.

There were balloons, a wedding bell streamer and a silver wedding bell and Happy Anniversary banner all nicely arranged on the ceiling above our bed.

The cake was better than I expected it was a full sized 9" single layer cake. Vanilla. Nicely decorated and there was cutlery and plates.

We ended up not eating even half of the cake since it was a short cruise and we traveled by ourselves.

IF it were a longer cruise or we were traveling with friends it would be perfect to share.

As with all things NCL it was a little expensive for the package, but we both felt it was in the range of good value and would do it again for a birthday or other occasion.

The surprise factor and having the decorations for the cruise made it worth while and a little more special.

Steward:

Our steward did an excellent job keeping the room clean. However we only saw him once when we happened to look for him to make a request. I had the impression he was a little on the shy side.

There was nothing wrong with his work, but we had an EXCELLENT steward on the Jewel in January who we saw a couple of times a day, knew our names immediately, noticed our personal routine very quickly and adjusted accordingly to it (turned down the room in the evening early as we sometimes go to bed quite early since we are up early for excursions)

I wondered if us noticing a difference in the level (not quality) of service was because we had a different cabin level. This is something we will take note of on our next couple of cruises.

Ship:

Very clean and though a wee bit worn in some places perfectly acceptable.

A basic ship without a lot of the usual amenities we were used to.

Example no thermal spa, and very basic pool area.

Though perfectly fine for a short cruise.

Atrium:

almost non existent, even for NCL. So small the "atrium " entertainers were on the second level not the main level where you would usually find them

Glass elevators:

We always enjoy this feature and were surprised to find it on the Sky

Theatre:

Quite small, but we really liked the seating. Much nicer than on most of the newer ships. There were lounge or club chairs and cozy bench seating with drink tables. Much better than being crowded into the typical theatre seating.

Dining:

Buffet:

HORRIBLE. I do not say this lightly. We always like the buffet on NCL and enjoy eating there for some quick meals when we are on the go all day.

The set up was terrible. It was the first time on any ship we encountered a very long lineup for the buffet. They had the drink station on the opposite side of the hall as the food line. It was very narrow and difficult to get to with all the people standing in line.

The selection was very small compared to other NCL ships

The quality was not as good as on most NCL ships.

Again I understand how subjective food is, this is my opinion and I am comparing NCL to NCL not different lines.

We walked in twice and walked out twice.

Outdoor Buffet

We ate here for a late lunch after returning from Nassau. IT was much better than the main buffet. Set up was better for flow of the line. Food selection was fresher and nicer. and of course sitting outside was very nice.

A good spot for a quick or late bite to eat.

Main Dining Rooms:

Crossings:

We had lunch here on embarkation day and breakfast every day.

Very good food and service (ask for Eddie!)

Great atmosphere, a nice place to eat away from the crowds at the buffet.

ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE:

This was launched just after we sailed in January.

We enjoy the main dining rooms, but knew from research the SKy is more of a party ship and we would be looking for quiet places away from the crowds and partiers.

So we decided to order the UDP.

We ate at Cagneys every night for dinner and the food and service was superior.

We would not get the UDP on a longer cruise as we do enjoy dinners in the MDR's and we found we ate more than usual because we paid the surcharge. 2 nights we would normally have just grabbed something light because we had a late or heavy lunch but felt we needed to keep our reservation.

On our upcoming cruises we will order specialty restaurants individually and enjoy a wide variety of dining.

For this cruise it worked well for us and at $59.00 was an excellent value.

Entertainment:

We went to the show the first night and were disappointed. The comedian bombed. So badly he ended his show a bit early and made a comment about everyone being tired so they were not getting his jokes.

We did not go the second night and tried again the third...and walked out part way through.

We typically really enjoy NCL's main shows. These were not up to typical NCL standard...by far.

Musicians and singers:

We found these lacking as well. Again normally we really enjoy finding a quiet venue and listening to some music. Not this time.

Game shows

All the typical NCL games were available and as always we found the ones we attended good for a few laughs.

We went to Deal or no Deal for the first time, and enjoyed watching that.

Pool area

Keep in mind this review is by a non-partier., trying to give other non-partiers a fair assessment of the ship.

The pool was a ZOO!

We did not spend any time there, except for a few minutes one port day. But even though there were less people, the ones that were there were pretty drunk.

Very crowded, very loud, and a lot of "rough" people. It seemed more like what we have heard the crowd on Carnival is like.

Nothing wrong with it, just not our scene.

The worst for me was when we walked through and saw staff cleaning up puke in a few places on the deck, and I found a piece of broken glass by a lounge chair...thankfully not with my barefoot!

All is not lost though!

DECK 12 QUIET AREA

A great place to relax. Located on Deck 12 forward.

There is a hot tub and a small wading pool (2-3 feet deep) for kids. As well as LOTS of lounge chairs.

We spent our "pool" time in this area. It was never very crowded and there was only one family with a small child the entire time. A very sweet little girl about 3 who was as good as could be.

Several other non partiers discovered this area and enjoyed a quiet soak in the hot tub.

We all respectfully and without needing to discuss it, took turns in the hot tub.

No one crowded in on anyone using the tub and if you were in it for a while and noticed someone else wanted to use it you got out and let them have a turn.

Since there were no kids using the little pool we would sit in it for a cool off.

Around the corner there are rinse off showers to cool off as well.

Normally we would go to the thermal spa for quiet but the Sky does not have one.

This worked out perfectly.

The view was great, plenty of lounge chairs and far enough away from the un-ending party you could not hear the noise.

OTHER QUIET AREAS

Deck 11 by the Spa is Plantations bar.

Beautiful quiet setting that is a bit off the beaten path. We noticed officers having a quiet drink in there on a couple of occasions.

This too is forward and there is a lovely observation deck accessed from here.

The second morning of our cruise I had an 8:00 spa appointment and arrived early. This was when I discovered this area.

I went out for a refreshing peaceful few minutes on the observation deck.

A great way to start the day.

Cooks lounge (I think that is what is called, something like that anyway. )

Very quiet piano bar.

It is also where you drop off your hand luggage on embarkation day.

SPA

I took advantage of a port special.

As previously mentioned I booked an early appointment while DH had a good sleep in.

I had a hot stone massage, scalp massage and facial.

Princess was the woman who treated me. I wanted massage therapy and she was excellent. She really worked a couple of my trouble areas and gave me suggestions on how to improve them.

I highly recommend her and to take advantage of the port or Manager special.

Gym

I had planned on keeping up my fitness routine but I forgot workout pants or shorts and nothing else I had was suitable for the gym.

It is a very nice, clean gym with a lots of equipment. The treadmills are lined up in front of the windows for a beautiful view while you are working out.

There is also a studio with classes.

PORTS

Since this was the short weekend cruise our ports were GSC and Nassau.

We had never been to Great Stirrup Caye before, and were looking forward to it.

After my spa appointment, we went to crossings for breakfast, and then went to get our tender tickets.

Amazingly even with all that leisurely time in the morning we were still on the second tender boat.(the partiers were all sleeping in lol)

We LOVED GSC

It was huge, with lots of separate little beach areas both close to the action and far away from it.

We were fortunate to find a shady spot under a couple of trees, close to the beach and washrooms and only a couple of min walk from the buffet.

Close enough to enjoy the live band playing, far enough away not to be in the party zone.

There was already a picnic table there, so we dragged a couple of lounge chairs over and we were set for a few relaxed hours on the beach.

The buffet was acceptable. and the line moved pretty well. The food was not superb but it was not bad and there was plenty of it.

There are lots of shaded picnic tables, but we had our own table in our little shady spot so we had a very quiet lunch.

I had planned to snorkel but it was a bit windy and DH is a non swimmer, so I stayed with him in the shallow water for a while, just enjoying the beautiful water and beach (it was still not very busy) then we relaxed in the shade had our lunch and decided to head back to the ship because it was getting busier on the island.

We went to the pool for a bit on ship and then retreated to Deck 12 as even though it was not crowded, it was still a party.

We really enjoyed this beach day and look forward to returning to GSC at some point.

I will definitely snorkel next time, and we will bring a popup sun shelter so we can set up further down the beach where the snorkeling is better, the crowds fewer and unfortunately no shade unless you bring it with you. Which a few people did.

Lots to do for families as well as couples and younger people.

NCL is doing a great job on the island!

Nassau

We had no plans for Nassau, except to go to Junkanoo beach.

We got off the ship and ended up deciding to do an Island tour.

Half way through the tour we realized we did it last year when we were on the EPic. We both had a good laugh about that

In the afternoon we booked a snorkeling tour for me.

We booked it with the company right inside the port advertising water excursions.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

They take you to a small boat that has seen better days to an even smaller boat that was in very rough condition. You had to jump off the first boat into the water, then get hoisted up onto the second boat (close to shore) no ladder, or step or anything.

The second boat takes you to the snorkel spot.

No instruction was given whatsoever for people who had never snorkeled "Don't breath through your nose" was it.

I was very glad I had my own gear.

I was told they had a platform to get on and off the boat. I do not like wobbly ladders and before booking made sure to ask about it.

Well they lied.

The platform was about a foot or two square. Very SMALL and right beside the outboard motor. IT was the only thing to hold onto

No ladder to get on and off, just a one rung bar that was not stationary.

I had no trouble getting off, I just jumped in, but getting back on was tough because I do not like that kind of set up, I am a bigger woman and it was just not good.

I was very scared getting back on, and I am not easily frightened.

Another woman who was very fit, also had trouble with it and actually hurt herself on the propeller of the motor . Thankfully she did not get cut just banged up. This made me realize it was not just me it was a problem with the system for sure.

My DH stayed on the boat while I snorkeled. IT was good, not great snorkeling but I enjoyed my hour in the water and saw a good variety of fish. and a little bit of interesting coral.

DH was very concerned the entire time because the boat was not safe. There were cracks in the bottom no safety gear etc.

There was an option to go to the beach after, but we just wanted to get out of there and did not want to be man handled to get back on the boat from the beach since there was no step or ladder.

Plus the wind was picking up and we felt it safest to just head back.

Do NOT BOOK ANY WATER TOURS WITH THE COMPANY RIGHT AS YOU ENTER THE PORT BUILDING!!!

It is the company in the corner with their own little room not the counter where tours are sold.

We were on 3 of their boats and all were not safe. The one we returned on was the parasailing boat...it looked like a death trap.

Book through the ship if you want to snorkel or parasail etc.

WE had an interesting day in Nassau, learned a bit more about the island, had a good time snorkeling despite the boats, but decided we have been there done that in Nassau and next time will stay on the ship...or stick with the plan and go to Junkanoo beach :-)

Disembarking

we always do a walk off and as always it was very easy and seamless.

Conclusion:

The Sky is NOT a typical NCL ship. It is more of a party ship and is geared to weekend warriors and first time cruises.

However, we had a great time, by researching ahead and enjoying the quieter areas of the ship.

We did not miss the balcony and have booked two more cruises in inside cabins.

Since we like to do a lot of exploring in port, and enjoy the evening shows on most ships, for us this makes a lot of sense.

Budget is not an issue for us, however we do not spend money just for the sake of spending it. We spend the money on things that for us make our travels most enjoyable.

That is different for everyone.

Others prefer to spend more time on the ship and in their cabin so they spend more on the cabin and less in port. There is no right or wrong way to cruise.

We met a lovely couple who were first time cruisers and are planning to cruise with them again in the future. They had a great first experience, and we know they will LOVE sailing on NCL's other ships especially our favourites the Jewel class ships.

We enjoyed our anniversary weekend, but will not choose to sail on the sky again.

I prefer longer cruises especially since we have to fly.

The cost of airfare was double what we paid for the cruise.

My DH enjoyed the shorter cruise and said he would do a short cruise again.

Since I am the vacation planner in the home...I don't see a short cruise in our future ;)

unless more ships start sailing from places we can easily drive to. Which would be wonderful, but highly unlikely.

If we lived near a port we would do short cruises, but not on the Sky.

We would spend a little more for a ship that is closer to what we typically prefer with less of a party crowd.

Probably with Celebrity, Princess or HAL

The UDP is a good value for those who do not like the MDR's

The celebration decoration packages are a fun way to add a little something special to your cruise if you are celebrating a birthday, anniversary or honeymoon.

For reference, I am in my mid-40's and DH is 55 both are very adventurous . Our fav. excursion in January was an ATV jungle tour in Cozumel.

We are not old, we just do not like the party scene.

The sky is a good ship, and meets the needs of it's target market.

Those who are outside of that target market, are able to enjoy a cruise on her by doing a bit of research and taking advantage of DECk 12 quiet area and the smaller lounges.

If you are not a partier, and have booked the Sky you will have a great time with a little planning.

If you are not a partier and have not booked the sky, I would choose a ship from one of the other lines that sail from Miami and do the short cruises They cost a little more but they are not as much of a party.

(NOT CARNIVAL lol even bigger party!)

Thanks for taking the time out to share your review with us. I enjoyed reading it very much.

Especially the part about GSC.

We are planning a trip there on the Gem next year and it sounds like you would recommend it. Did you have to pay to rent the loungers?

Happy Anniversary and Happy Cruising!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Thanks for taking the time out to share your review with us. I enjoyed reading it very much.

Especially the part about GSC.

We are planning a trip there on the Gem next year and it sounds like you would recommend it. Did you have to pay to rent the loungers?

Happy Anniversary and Happy Cruising!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Thank you! on all accounts :)

You will really enjoy GSC Try and get there earlier in the morning. IT gets very hot in the afternoon.

The lunch is free and like on the ship you pay for your drinks. They have Ice water available.

Lounge beds are free and plentiful...again if you get there early enough you can get what for you is a prime location..different for everyone depending on what you like :)

If you plan to snorkel and have your own gear the best snorkeling is to the FAR RIGHT of the beach.

You do not need to pay for their Fate of the Fancy snorkel excursion if you have your own Snorkel gear.

The entertainment staff was working hard to do games like dancing and limbo etc in front of the band. There was not a lot of interest while we were there, but the party was just getting started when we left, so I am sure there was more participation later.

There is not a lot of shade at all.. We were very fortunate to find some, so Sun cream and dips in the water to cool off or time at a shaded picnic table by the buffet are a must. Many people were very red later that day.

There are lots of things you can rent, (for the water ) or you can just enjoy everything that is included. which is what we did.

It was a nice beach day.

You will enjoy it :-)

Angela

Thanks for the wonderful review

Eating every night for dinner at Cagneys is a dream come true :)

Thank you, and you are welcome :)

It was great. We tried most of the appetisers between us, the potatoe soup and Chicken drunsticks (like wings) were are fav. So tender and small.

Our server 2 out of 3 nights was from India and he said that is how they do them there. So yummy!

We had Filets the first night. Cooked to our exact request.

Second night DH had Ribs. Very good, and I had The lobster and shrimp pasta.

Very good, but not the best I have ever had. I had an excellent Shrimp and lobster fettachini on the Jewel in January..that was the best ever! (I asked for the grilled shrimp to be added..it was amazing in Il Adagio)

Third night our server now knew what we liked and that we "know" steak we were served a steak that was not on the menu, it was the Chef's recommendation a specially aged Rib eye. It was AMAZING!! far superior to the filet we were served (which was good) IT was very much what we are used to getting in our steakhouses at home in Canada. Most of our steaks are aged.

The Oreo Cheesecake...is an absolute must have. Oh my it was good!

This was our first time at Cagneys and we will choose to eat there at least once when we are on the Pearl in Dec..maybe twice ;)

Thanks for the insight. We booked this last week. We are a short distance drive.

We too are not partiers. But it is a good quick getaway cruise to sample the suite life before our seven-day cruise next year out of Tampa.

I love the Sky...and will be sailing on her for the third time in August. The only difference I can see is that I go on the four day (Monday-Friday) cruise which seems to be less of a party ship! We typically fly in a couple days pre-cruise and stay one day post-cruise so it makes the airfare seem worth it!;)

Regardless, I'm happy that you enjoyed your cruise...and Happy Anniversary!! 🎈🎈🎈

I love the Sky...and will be sailing on her for the third time in August. The only difference I can see is that I go on the four day (Monday-Friday) cruise which seems to be less of a party ship! We typically fly in a couple days pre-cruise and stay one day post-cruise so it makes the airfare seem worth it!;)

Regardless, I'm happy that you enjoyed your cruise...and Happy Anniversary!!

Thank you :)

If we had more time to spend we would have taken a 7 day on another ship ;)

Love reading your reviews! You really know how to organize your thoughts and put them in such a concise, logical and entertaining way. So happy you and Rob had a great anniversary trip! I raise my martini glass to you...:D. Will miss you on the Jewel next year...Maybe we will see you on board somewhere soon. Sure hope so!!!

Love reading your reviews! You really know how to organize your thoughts and put them in such a concise, logical and entertaining way. So happy you and Rob had a great anniversary trip! I raise my martini glass to you...:D. Will miss you on the Jewel next year...Maybe we will see you on board somewhere soon. Sure hope so!!!

:o awe shucks..you make me blush :) Thank you for your very kind words.

Hopefully our paths will cross again in the future. The cruising world is not so big:)

We can't wait for our first B2B for 22 days on the Pearl in Dec. IF we meet people who are half as fun as those we met on the Jewel we will be fortunate to once again cruise with the cream of the crop :)

Our January cruise this year is with Celebrity for an 11 day. Friends we met on the Epic last year are joining us.

I will post our plans to "our group" each time and hopefully at some point our plans will sync again!

Thanks again for your encouraging words...Happy Easter!!

Angie

• 2 weeks later...
Great review, thanks for the fresh perspective

Your welcome!

NCL is a great cruiseline. You will enjoy it. As with all of them there are pros and cons. But to me there is no such thing as a bad cruise....just a bad attitude.

Great review, thank you.

As far as

'I wondered if us noticing a difference in the level (not quality) of service was because we had a different cabin level. This is something we will take note of on our next couple of cruises.'

I had been upgraded from cheap-o room to large picture window on 5 th deck. We saw our guy many times a day & tipped him extra. I think it just depends on who your person is, how outgoing they are, where your room is located (we were by the linen room I think).

I too am not a partier & look for quiet spots. I did not know about steam rooms & might seek out on my med cruise in Sept on at sea days.

Thanks for the review. I've been on the Sky 3 times, and am booked again in June. Really interesting read as I'm taking 3 of my staff, one of whom has never cruised before.

I saw you say you have to fly to the ports, so scrolled up to see where you were from and lo and behold, you're from Ottawa too. Cruddy day here, but brighter ones on the horizon.

Thanks for taking the time to review :)

Great review, thank you.

As far as

'I wondered if us noticing a difference in the level (not quality) of service was because we had a different cabin level. This is something we will take note of on our next couple of cruises.'

I had been upgraded from cheap-o room to large picture window on 5 th deck. We saw our guy many times a day & tipped him extra. I think it just depends on who your person is, how outgoing they are, where your room is located (we were by the linen room I think).

I too am not a partier & look for quiet spots. I did not know about steam rooms & might seek out on my med cruise in Sept on at sea days.

Thanks ..and your welcome.

We are sailing on the Spirit April 2015...just decided after lots of research on which line and ship we wanted to sail the Med. Itinerary is more important than ship especially for those longer cruises. And for this one we wanted a long cruise that was not in the summer.

NCL Spirit in April -May 2015 for 22 days and will sail the canary Islands as well as East and West Med. It is the only dates that sailing is offered. And of the lines we were looking at the only one that offered this type of sailing in the spring. The rest were in the dead of summer. Which we avoid as much as possible for these types of trips. Too many kids and way too crowded a the ports not to mention the heat.

The Spirit does not have a thermal spa either but it does have the steam room are in the spa which is included and has no surcharge.

They are located inside the mens and woman's change areas and have showers as well.

Of course not having sailed on her yet this is just second hand knowledge and from studying the deck plans.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks for the review. I've been on the Sky 3 times, and am booked again in June. Really interesting read as I'm taking 3 of my staff, one of whom has never cruised before.

I saw you say you have to fly to the ports, so scrolled up to see where you were from and lo and behold, you're from Ottawa too. Cruddy day here, but brighter ones on the horizon.

Thanks for taking the time to review :)

We met good friends on the Epic last year..who are from Ottawa as well.

They winter in Miami so when we flew in for this cruise they met up with us at the Hotel for supper and a drive to South Beach.

We are cruising with them in January on the Celebrity Equinox for a Combo South American and West Caribb 11 day cruise. Our first time on Celeb. They have sailed with X before.

Cruddy day is right!

We are RV'ers and have Bon Echo Park booked for long weekend...I sure hope things warm up and clear up by then. We are getting pretty waterlogged :)

Enjoy your cruise!

Angela

We are booked on the Sky for July! Your review was perfect for us, since we are not party people either. We have always wondered what it might be like to NOT get a balcony, but so far, we've been "chicken" to try an inside or ocean view. So thank you for explaining your experience about that.

For our first cruise ever, we did a short Carnival Cruise during Spring Break, no less, which turned out to be Party Central! That was maybe 10 years ago.

This will be our first cruise with NCL just to try them out. I see from your review that maybe this cruise will not be such a very good likeness of NCL ships to help us judge what sailing with NCL ships is like. Oh well. We will be so happy just to get away together. We are young active senior citizens. Usually we spend most of our vacations visiting grandchildren. So this will be a cruise to relax and enjoy with each other.

Enjoyed all of your tips! Thank you soooo much!

My DH and I spent the weekend on the SKY last weekend April 11-14 2014

This was a quick anniversary getaway for us.

Our first cruise under 7 days.

We did a number of things differently this cruise, as we were testing a few things we don't normally do and thought a short cruise would be a good way to do that.

Embarkation:

Smooth and easy as always with NCL

We always fly in the day before (unless it is a new port then we spend a few days pre- or post) and head to the port early.

There are never any lines and I would rather sit and wait in the comfortable terminal than stand in line.

It gives me a chance to read the daily, find out where to drop off my hand luggage (which I usually know ahead from research but want to confirm it is the same for that cruise) and This also ensures we are the first or second group on the ship.

This time we were the first of the general boarding passengers on the ship.

Cabin:

We normally cruise in a balcony Cabin. But we decided after our last cruise in January that we wanted to try an inside or ocean view since after 3 cruises with balconies we spend little time on them and wondered how we would do with an inside or oceanview.

We had a large oceanview window cabin which we found perfectly suitable. We did not miss the balcony at all

(remember this is a SUBJECTIVE review and this is our opinion we know there are many who can not live without their balcony but for us and those like us who do not spend a lot of time in the room, it worked out perfectly)

We found there to be plenty of storage space.

The bathroom was smaller than usual, but perfectly acceptable.

TIP: The spa has a steam room and showers you can use at no charge if you really find the shower to small.

I am a tall woman (5'11" )and on the larger side and found it just fine.

Anniversary Decoration Package:

Since it was our anniversary I had ordered the anniversary decoration and cake package.

We always travel for special occasions and this was the first time I ordered he package to see what we thought of the value.

It was a surprise for my DH and he was thrilled when we walked in the cabin and saw it. As was I.

There were balloons, a wedding bell streamer and a silver wedding bell and Happy Anniversary banner all nicely arranged on the ceiling above our bed.

The cake was better than I expected it was a full sized 9" single layer cake. Vanilla. Nicely decorated and there was cutlery and plates.

We ended up not eating even half of the cake since it was a short cruise and we traveled by ourselves.

IF it were a longer cruise or we were traveling with friends it would be perfect to share.

As with all things NCL it was a little expensive for the package, but we both felt it was in the range of good value and would do it again for a birthday or other occasion.

The surprise factor and having the decorations for the cruise made it worth while and a little more special.

Steward:

Our steward did an excellent job keeping the room clean. However we only saw him once when we happened to look for him to make a request. I had the impression he was a little on the shy side.

There was nothing wrong with his work, but we had an EXCELLENT steward on the Jewel in January who we saw a couple of times a day, knew our names immediately, noticed our personal routine very quickly and adjusted accordingly to it (turned down the room in the evening early as we sometimes go to bed quite early since we are up early for excursions)

I wondered if us noticing a difference in the level (not quality) of service was because we had a different cabin level. This is something we will take note of on our next couple of cruises.

Ship:

Very clean and though a wee bit worn in some places perfectly acceptable.

A basic ship without a lot of the usual amenities we were used to.

Example no thermal spa, and very basic pool area.

Though perfectly fine for a short cruise.

Atrium:

almost non existent, even for NCL. So small the "atrium " entertainers were on the second level not the main level where you would usually find them

Glass elevators:

We always enjoy this feature and were surprised to find it on the Sky

Theatre:

Quite small, but we really liked the seating. Much nicer than on most of the newer ships. There were lounge or club chairs and cozy bench seating with drink tables. Much better than being crowded into the typical theatre seating.

Dining:

Buffet:

HORRIBLE. I do not say this lightly. We always like the buffet on NCL and enjoy eating there for some quick meals when we are on the go all day.

The set up was terrible. It was the first time on any ship we encountered a very long lineup for the buffet. They had the drink station on the opposite side of the hall as the food line. It was very narrow and difficult to get to with all the people standing in line.

The selection was very small compared to other NCL ships

The quality was not as good as on most NCL ships.

Again I understand how subjective food is, this is my opinion and I am comparing NCL to NCL not different lines.

We walked in twice and walked out twice.

Outdoor Buffet

We ate here for a late lunch after returning from Nassau. IT was much better than the main buffet. Set up was better for flow of the line. Food selection was fresher and nicer. and of course sitting outside was very nice.

A good spot for a quick or late bite to eat.

Main Dining Rooms:

Crossings:

We had lunch here on embarkation day and breakfast every day.

Very good food and service (ask for Eddie!)

Great atmosphere, a nice place to eat away from the crowds at the buffet.

ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE:

This was launched just after we sailed in January.

We enjoy the main dining rooms, but knew from research the SKy is more of a party ship and we would be looking for quiet places away from the crowds and partiers.

So we decided to order the UDP.

We ate at Cagneys every night for dinner and the food and service was superior.

We would not get the UDP on a longer cruise as we do enjoy dinners in the MDR's and we found we ate more than usual because we paid the surcharge. 2 nights we would normally have just grabbed something light because we had a late or heavy lunch but felt we needed to keep our reservation.

On our upcoming cruises we will order specialty restaurants individually and enjoy a wide variety of dining.

For this cruise it worked well for us and at $59.00 was an excellent value.

Entertainment:

We went to the show the first night and were disappointed. The comedian bombed. So badly he ended his show a bit early and made a comment about everyone being tired so they were not getting his jokes.

We did not go the second night and tried again the third...and walked out part way through.

We typically really enjoy NCL's main shows. These were not up to typical NCL standard...by far.

Musicians and singers:

We found these lacking as well. Again normally we really enjoy finding a quiet venue and listening to some music. Not this time.

Game shows

All the typical NCL games were available and as always we found the ones we attended good for a few laughs.

We went to Deal or no Deal for the first time, and enjoyed watching that.

Pool area

Keep in mind this review is by a non-partier., trying to give other non-partiers a fair assessment of the ship.

The pool was a ZOO!

We did not spend any time there, except for a few minutes one port day. But even though there were less people, the ones that were there were pretty drunk.

Very crowded, very loud, and a lot of "rough" people. It seemed more like what we have heard the crowd on Carnival is like.

Nothing wrong with it, just not our scene.

The worst for me was when we walked through and saw staff cleaning up puke in a few places on the deck, and I found a piece of broken glass by a lounge chair...thankfully not with my barefoot!

All is not lost though!

DECK 12 QUIET AREA

A great place to relax. Located on Deck 12 forward.

There is a hot tub and a small wading pool (2-3 feet deep) for kids. As well as LOTS of lounge chairs.

We spent our "pool" time in this area. It was never very crowded and there was only one family with a small child the entire time. A very sweet little girl about 3 who was as good as could be.

Several other non partiers discovered this area and enjoyed a quiet soak in the hot tub.

We all respectfully and without needing to discuss it, took turns in the hot tub.

No one crowded in on anyone using the tub and if you were in it for a while and noticed someone else wanted to use it you got out and let them have a turn.

Since there were no kids using the little pool we would sit in it for a cool off.

Around the corner there are rinse off showers to cool off as well.

Normally we would go to the thermal spa for quiet but the Sky does not have one.

This worked out perfectly.

The view was great, plenty of lounge chairs and far enough away from the un-ending party you could not hear the noise.

OTHER QUIET AREAS

Deck 11 by the Spa is Plantations bar.

Beautiful quiet setting that is a bit off the beaten path. We noticed officers having a quiet drink in there on a couple of occasions.

This too is forward and there is a lovely observation deck accessed from here.

The second morning of our cruise I had an 8:00 spa appointment and arrived early. This was when I discovered this area.

I went out for a refreshing peaceful few minutes on the observation deck.

A great way to start the day.

Cooks lounge (I think that is what is called, something like that anyway. )

Very quiet piano bar.

It is also where you drop off your hand luggage on embarkation day.

SPA

I took advantage of a port special.

As previously mentioned I booked an early appointment while DH had a good sleep in.

I had a hot stone massage, scalp massage and facial.

Princess was the woman who treated me. I wanted massage therapy and she was excellent. She really worked a couple of my trouble areas and gave me suggestions on how to improve them.

I highly recommend her and to take advantage of the port or Manager special.

Gym

I had planned on keeping up my fitness routine but I forgot workout pants or shorts and nothing else I had was suitable for the gym.

It is a very nice, clean gym with a lots of equipment. The treadmills are lined up in front of the windows for a beautiful view while you are working out.

There is also a studio with classes.

PORTS

Since this was the short weekend cruise our ports were GSC and Nassau.

We had never been to Great Stirrup Caye before, and were looking forward to it.

After my spa appointment, we went to crossings for breakfast, and then went to get our tender tickets.

Amazingly even with all that leisurely time in the morning we were still on the second tender boat.(the partiers were all sleeping in lol)

We LOVED GSC

It was huge, with lots of separate little beach areas both close to the action and far away from it.

We were fortunate to find a shady spot under a couple of trees, close to the beach and washrooms and only a couple of min walk from the buffet.

Close enough to enjoy the live band playing, far enough away not to be in the party zone.

There was already a picnic table there, so we dragged a couple of lounge chairs over and we were set for a few relaxed hours on the beach.

The buffet was acceptable. and the line moved pretty well. The food was not superb but it was not bad and there was plenty of it.

There are lots of shaded picnic tables, but we had our own table in our little shady spot so we had a very quiet lunch.

I had planned to snorkel but it was a bit windy and DH is a non swimmer, so I stayed with him in the shallow water for a while, just enjoying the beautiful water and beach (it was still not very busy) then we relaxed in the shade had our lunch and decided to head back to the ship because it was getting busier on the island.

We went to the pool for a bit on ship and then retreated to Deck 12 as even though it was not crowded, it was still a party.

We really enjoyed this beach day and look forward to returning to GSC at some point.

I will definitely snorkel next time, and we will bring a popup sun shelter so we can set up further down the beach where the snorkeling is better, the crowds fewer and unfortunately no shade unless you bring it with you. Which a few people did.

Lots to do for families as well as couples and younger people.

NCL is doing a great job on the island!

Nassau

We had no plans for Nassau, except to go to Junkanoo beach.

We got off the ship and ended up deciding to do an Island tour.

Half way through the tour we realized we did it last year when we were on the EPic. We both had a good laugh about that

In the afternoon we booked a snorkeling tour for me.

We booked it with the company right inside the port advertising water excursions.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

They take you to a small boat that has seen better days to an even smaller boat that was in very rough condition. You had to jump off the first boat into the water, then get hoisted up onto the second boat (close to shore) no ladder, or step or anything.

The second boat takes you to the snorkel spot.

No instruction was given whatsoever for people who had never snorkeled "Don't breath through your nose" was it.

I was very glad I had my own gear.

I was told they had a platform to get on and off the boat. I do not like wobbly ladders and before booking made sure to ask about it.

Well they lied.

The platform was about a foot or two square. Very SMALL and right beside the outboard motor. IT was the only thing to hold onto

No ladder to get on and off, just a one rung bar that was not stationary.

I had no trouble getting off, I just jumped in, but getting back on was tough because I do not like that kind of set up, I am a bigger woman and it was just not good.

I was very scared getting back on, and I am not easily frightened.

Another woman who was very fit, also had trouble with it and actually hurt herself on the propeller of the motor . Thankfully she did not get cut just banged up. This made me realize it was not just me it was a problem with the system for sure.

My DH stayed on the boat while I snorkeled. IT was good, not great snorkeling but I enjoyed my hour in the water and saw a good variety of fish. and a little bit of interesting coral.

DH was very concerned the entire time because the boat was not safe. There were cracks in the bottom no safety gear etc.

There was an option to go to the beach after, but we just wanted to get out of there and did not want to be man handled to get back on the boat from the beach since there was no step or ladder.

Plus the wind was picking up and we felt it safest to just head back.

Do NOT BOOK ANY WATER TOURS WITH THE COMPANY RIGHT AS YOU ENTER THE PORT BUILDING!!!

It is the company in the corner with their own little room not the counter where tours are sold.

We were on 3 of their boats and all were not safe. The one we returned on was the parasailing boat...it looked like a death trap.

Book through the ship if you want to snorkel or parasail etc.

WE had an interesting day in Nassau, learned a bit more about the island, had a good time snorkeling despite the boats, but decided we have been there done that in Nassau and next time will stay on the ship...or stick with the plan and go to Junkanoo beach :-)

Disembarking

we always do a walk off and as always it was very easy and seamless.

Conclusion:

The Sky is NOT a typical NCL ship. It is more of a party ship and is geared to weekend warriors and first time cruises.

However, we had a great time, by researching ahead and enjoying the quieter areas of the ship.

We did not miss the balcony and have booked two more cruises in inside cabins.

Since we like to do a lot of exploring in port, and enjoy the evening shows on most ships, for us this makes a lot of sense.

Budget is not an issue for us, however we do not spend money just for the sake of spending it. We spend the money on things that for us make our travels most enjoyable.

That is different for everyone.

Others prefer to spend more time on the ship and in their cabin so they spend more on the cabin and less in port. There is no right or wrong way to cruise.

We met a lovely couple who were first time cruisers and are planning to cruise with them again in the future. They had a great first experience, and we know they will LOVE sailing on NCL's other ships especially our favourites the Jewel class ships.

We enjoyed our anniversary weekend, but will not choose to sail on the sky again.

I prefer longer cruises especially since we have to fly.

The cost of airfare was double what we paid for the cruise.

My DH enjoyed the shorter cruise and said he would do a short cruise again.

Since I am the vacation planner in the home...I don't see a short cruise in our future ;)

unless more ships start sailing from places we can easily drive to. Which would be wonderful, but highly unlikely.

If we lived near a port we would do short cruises, but not on the Sky.

We would spend a little more for a ship that is closer to what we typically prefer with less of a party crowd.

Probably with Celebrity, Princess or HAL

The UDP is a good value for those who do not like the MDR's

The celebration decoration packages are a fun way to add a little something special to your cruise if you are celebrating a birthday, anniversary or honeymoon.

For reference, I am in my mid-40's and DH is 55 both are very adventurous . Our fav. excursion in January was an ATV jungle tour in Cozumel.

We are not old, we just do not like the party scene.

The sky is a good ship, and meets the needs of it's target market.

Those who are outside of that target market, are able to enjoy a cruise on her by doing a bit of research and taking advantage of DECk 12 quiet area and the smaller lounges.

If you are not a partier, and have booked the Sky you will have a great time with a little planning.

If you are not a partier and have not booked the sky, I would choose a ship from one of the other lines that sail from Miami and do the short cruises They cost a little more but they are not as much of a party.

(NOT CARNIVAL lol even bigger party!)

Thank you. Enjoyed your review. I did a 2-nighter out of NYC for my nephew's grad/18th. We combined it with a few nights in NYC, (I splurged on a 2-room suite at the Waldorf for him, grandma and me), enjoyed Broadway shows and dining. We are not big partiers either. I did spa and other fun things like trivia. But the pace and volume from the masses was escalated. But we enjoyed it. Sail away is always wonderful.

We are booked on the Sky for July! Your review was perfect for us, since we are not party people either. We have always wondered what it might be like to NOT get a balcony, but so far, we've been "chicken" to try an inside or ocean view. So thank you for explaining your experience about that.

For our first cruise ever, we did a short Carnival Cruise during Spring Break, no less, which turned out to be Party Central! That was maybe 10 years ago.

This will be our first cruise with NCL just to try them out. I see from your review that maybe this cruise will not be such a very good likeness of NCL ships to help us judge what sailing with NCL ships is like. Oh well. We will be so happy just to get away together. We are young active senior citizens. Usually we spend most of our vacations visiting grandchildren. So this will be a cruise to relax and enjoy with each other.

Enjoyed all of your tips! Thank you soooo much!

Your Welcome! It was my pleasure!:D

If you have any specific questions please ask!

I would suggest since this is your first time on NCL to not bother with the dining PKG.

Plan to eat at Crossings MDR. Breakfast and dinner. It is a nice venue with great food and service.

Normally NCL's buffets are very good, so if you choose to eat there please don't judge too harshly...my suggestion would be to avoid the main buffet all together.

The Italian restaurant (charge) is open for lunch (INCLUDED) you can get a made to order pasta or pizza there for a light lunch. We went once and it was very quiet not busy at all. They will try and make you take a slice of pizza that is pre made, but you can ask them to make you a pizza to your liking.

As far as Cabins go. I was nervous to try it, but it worked out great. If you find during this cruise you do not spend a lot of time in your cabin, I would suggest next time try an inside. You can always upgrade to an Ocean View if/when price drops. But we truly did not miss the balcony at all and were happy to spend more money on things that did make a difference for us. and it can mean the difference between having one or 2 holidays. ;)

Also please do not judge NCL too harshly if you do not enjoy the evening shows...they really are not indicative of the line's entertainment.

If you are just wanting a nice little getaway to relax and be together...you will have great time on Deck 12 forward, in plantations lounge and having nice meals in crossings.

You will like the NCL Island...I was actually pretty impressed, it was better than I expected.

Again feel free to ask anything specific. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Angela

Your quote: "The Italian restaurant (charge) is open for lunch (INCLUDED) you can get a made to order pasta or pizza there for a light lunch. We went once and it was very quiet not busy at all. They will try and make you take a slice of pizza that is pre made, but you can ask them to make you a pizza to your liking."

I don't quite understand. Do you mean that if I go to the Italian restaurant for lunch, that it will be free? But if I go there at night, there's a charge?

Angela, Thanks so very much!

Your quote: "The Italian restaurant (charge) is open for lunch (INCLUDED) you can get a made to order pasta or pizza there for a light lunch. We went once and it was very quiet not busy at all. They will try and make you take a slice of pizza that is pre made, but you can ask them to make you a pizza to your liking."

I don't quite understand. Do you mean that if I go to the Italian restaurant for lunch, that it will be free? But if I go there at night, there's a charge?

Angela, Thanks so very much!

:) You understood perfectly! That is exactly right.

The Italian is a specialty surcharge restaurant for dinner. But a little known fact is you can dine there for free (included) at lunch time. IT is limited to pizza and pasta but gives you another option than the buffet for lunch :-)