What's the latest on the Pride's propulsion problem?

jordanaire

I have an additional clarification that was received from another Carnival spokesman, John Raabe. According to Mr. Rabbe, "John Heald was speaking about the Carnival Miracle here. The Carnival Pride has been fully repaired and can cruise at her usual speeds."

That's even better news for those of us who will be cruising soon! OK, I'm getting excited now!!!

Mollypop1622,

Propulsion is how fast the ship propels itself thru the water. Pride normally propels with two azipods (Azipods are self contained engines that hang under the rear of the ship and rotate left and right as needed to maintain heading and for maneuvering), but since sustaining a power failure for one of the two azipods, Pride has been unable to reach full speed. The issue with Freeport is that the distance between Freeport and Baltimore is such that Pride has to run at near full speed to arrive in port on time. Charleston is considerably closer to Baltimore and thus she can leave Charleston in plenty of time to arrive in Baltimore on time for the next sailing.

There is no time crunch between Nassau and Freeport or Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay nor any variation thereof, but given that it takes over two full sailing days to reach the area of Pride's ports of call, she has to leave that area earlier in order to arrive back on time. Normally Pride would just slowly sail between ports, but to make Charleston she heads North toward Baltimore immediately after her second port of call at her highest one engine speed.

There was some speculation as to what actually failed; was it a generator or transformer or heat dissipation unit? That has not been fully answered, but it's most likely a combination of the three.

What caused the failure? Stray debris in the ocean or normal wear and tear or was it natural over time failure that would have been fixed in the routine dry dock? I have no clue.

All I can say is that we sailed her last week and had a great time. She vibrated more than she normally would have, but she got us where we most wanted to go and took us thru a storm that would have stressed any vessel and she handled it perfectly.

PaulMedik:

Thank you so much for the information, I was afraid this would be a lasting issue until it dry docks later this year, but am relieved to hear the issue has been fixed! :)