Tea Time and Kids

cruise_gal21

I was just wondering if anyone has taken their kids to, or seen other kids at, Tea Time ? I have a very well behaved 4yr old DD that would like to have "the tea party" with Mommy. She understands that it is not play time and has very good manners. Anyone object and think this is adults only time?

I was just wondering if anyone has taken their kids to, or seen other kids at, Tea Time ? I have a very well behaved 4yr old DD that would like to have "the tea party" with Mommy. She understands that it is not play time and has very good manners. Anyone object and think this is adults only time?

I sat with 4yo at tea this past January. She was dressed like a princess! This lucky young lady was even Platinum!

Both of my girls love tea time. Btw, if you ask they will bring hot cocoa. My girls aren't fond of tea but they loved the hot cocoa. It's a great bonding experience with the kids and yours won't be the only little ones. There's usually a handful of young ones all dressed up for tea time with mom. :)

Whenever I've gone to the high tea (or whatever it's called) onboard ship, I see at least a half dozen kids of all ages. And I've taken my son with me to high tea as well. He loves having "grownup time" with me and adores the little cucumber sandwiches. :) If you ask him about it, he'll just give you a thumbs up.

I like the tea time, it is not high tea. The kids I have seen there look bored to tears unless they are girls playing dress up and wearing white gloves and Mary Janes and white, turned down scalloped socks. Those types seem to enjoy it. :p

Thanks for all the replies everyone! And the tip about the hot cocoa, she'll love that :) I'm definitely looking forward to taking her now that I know she won't be out of place.

We will need pictures when you get back.:)

There was a five year old boy sitting near us last year having a great time and talking about how much he loved tea.

His had lots of milk and sugar and he was drinking it with a spoon.

Adorable.

We will need pictures when you get back.:)

There was a five year old boy sitting near us last year having a great time and talking about how much he loved tea.

His had lots of milk and sugar and he was drinking it with a spoon.

Adorable.

That sounds like my DD lol. I most definitely will have pics. I try to do a review for each cruise and hope to have the time after this one. Happy Easter, Passover, and Spring to all :)

Sent from my LG-L38C using Forums mobile app

ITA with the other posters. I took my then 7 year old to tea time on the Victory. She loved it and the desserts are amazing!!! LOL

I think the older one regretted not going when we got back and told her all about it. LOL ;)

Whenever I've gone to the high tea (or whatever it's called) onboard ship, I see at least a half dozen kids of all ages. And I've taken my son with me to high tea as well.

It's usually called "tea time". Not to be a grammar Na...[those German politicians], but "high tea", the way it's used in US English, is actually a misnomer, which I'm sure confuses the crew, who usually study British English in their home countries. "High tea" doesn't mean a formal, elaborate tea meal. It's actually a British working-class concept: a early-evening meal consisting of meat, bread, salads, and of course, tea (in the same time slot most Americans eat dinner). Upper classes ate two meals instead of high tea: a light afternoon meal of tea, sandwiches, and pastries, and a rich sit-down supper in the evening. Carnival's tea time mostly parallels the British afternoon tea.

The word "high" referred to the height of a table where the tea was served, not the formality level. The afternoon tea usually took place on sofas around a coffee table, while high tea took place while seated at a dinner table.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

It's usually called "tea time". Not to be a grammar Na...[those German politicians], but "high tea", the way it's used in US English, is actually a misnomer, which I'm sure confuses the crew, who usually study British English in their home countries. "High tea" doesn't mean a formal, elaborate tea meal. It's actually a British working-class concept: a early-evening meal consisting of meat, bread, salads, and of course, tea (in the same time slot most Americans eat dinner). Upper classes ate two meals instead of high tea: a light afternoon meal of tea, sandwiches, and pastries, and a rich sit-down supper in the evening. Carnival's tea time mostly parallels the British afternoon tea.

The word "high" referred to the height of a table where the tea was served, not the formality level. The afternoon tea usually took place on sofas around a coffee table, while high tea took place while seated at a dinner table.

This is interesting.

I heard that high tea meant that meat was served.

And it is served at Carnival's tea.

This is interesting.

I heard that high tea meant that meat was served.

And it is served at Carnival's tea.

You're right too. High tea, as the term originally meant, included meat, so it also went by the name "meat tea". Carnival's tea time has meat, but when I went, it consisted of things like chicken salad and roast beef in small sandwiches, like at the upper classes' afternoon tea. The meat traditionally eaten at the working classes' high tea was usually something more substantial, like chopped steak or beef wellington. Which I'm sure was much desired after long days of factory or farm work.

Come to think of it, that must be how the American custom of eating dinner in the early evening formed. Most immigrants coming to the 13 colonies for a better life were probably just rich enough to afford a steerage ticket (i.e. working classes). So their meal schedule carried over into America. The wealthy, who followed an upper class meal schedule, didn't immigrate in large numbers early on, so their customs didn't take hold in America.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

One of our amazing CC'ers, Kris, arranged to have a group from our meet 'n greet get together prior to the tea and make tiaras out of pipe cleaners! It was hysterical! The men got into it big time and had some of the fanciest crowns ever!!

Just curious--was this arranged for the adults in your group or were there a lot of children?

Wow, tea time on Carnival? This is news! Do all ships do this? Is it once per cruise, or more often? Where does it take place? Thanks.

P.S. We have seen children about 8 or 9, but no very young ones, at tea on other lines. You know best your child's ability to be well-behaved and enjoy herself, but I would hate for her to miss it if she is interested! As has been suggested, you can always excuse yourselves when she has had enough. Our experience is that tea is very flexible.

Wow, tea time on Carnival? This is news! Do all ships do this? Is it once per cruise, or more often? Where does it take place? Thanks.

P.S. We have seen children about 8 or 9, but no very young ones, at tea on other lines. You know best your child's ability to be well-behaved and enjoy herself, but I would hate for her to miss it if she is interested! As has been suggested, you can always excuse yourselves when she has had enough. Our experience is that tea is very flexible.

It is on sea days only in the dinning room. I wanna say its at like 3 or 3:30. Not new just not advertised very much.

Edited by MichelleChell