Celebrity good cruise line for children??

jtand2

Notice only the adults are preaching what their children want. :rolleyes:

Truth be known, it is the "Adults" who want Celebrity, not the average child. Kids would pick Disney or Royal Caribbean any day and anyway over Celebrity!! :)

Edited by Shake

Truth be known, it is the "Adults" who want Celebrity, not the average child. Kids would pick Disney or Royal Caribbean any day and anyway over Celebrity!! :)

Actually, for me anyway? The price was a huge huge factor. A difference of over £3000 is enough. I never intended to sail with Celebrity WITH my children however I am please that I am and they had an input in the decision making and are very happy with the choice which was made. :p

Drinkspackageexpert,

That's a very refreshing, honest and unbiased post.

Adults who pay the bill, go with to Celebrity because THEY want to, it's certainly NOT their children's first choice in cruise lines and for sure not the best. :D

Edited by Shake

A few thoughts:

First, because your cruise is Thanksgiving - which I've been told is cruising's busiest week of the year - you will likely find Reflection to have every berth filled and to have hundreds of children on board. If there's an issue with kids, it will be that there are too many and the Fun Factory will be too crowded. That would be true on any cruise line that particular week.

Second, we have taken family cruises on five different cruise lines starting when our kids (now 12 and 15) were 3 and 6. While they would rank Disney at the top they put Celebrity second.

Third, despite what a small minority have posted here, you'll find that Celebrity is family friendly on board. I can't read these threads without thinking of the child-hating Baroness Bomburst from Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroness_Bomburst One of the particularly mean-spirited child haters who always responds to these threads has claimed in the past to be a school teacher. Talk about picking the wrong profession. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with people who prefer not to cruise with a lot of children (or none at all), but to suggest only something like stick with Carnival or Disney doesn't begin to tell the Celebrity story.

Drinkspackageexpert,

That's a very refreshing, honest and unbiased post.

Adults who pay the bill, go with to Celebrity because THEY want to, it's certainly NOT their children's first choice in cruise lines and for sure not the best. :D

I love the Eclipse and vowed i would use Celebrity for me and Royal Caribbean for the Children. However, money talks. £6000 with RC or £4200 with Celebrity!! The time of year is also crucial at this point because we have a October half term holiday and Celebrity fits what I need. But there is one thing about me...I demand nothing but 100 percent well behaved children anywhere public. They are polite, well mannered and respectful and will be spending lunch, breakfast and dinner with me and joining in with the fun factory whenever it is available.....quiet time for mummy then :p:D:p

Hey while we're at it, maybe we should start a new post on the Azamara board on whether it's a good cruise line for your child.

Wouldn't be TOO LONG before most would post how much their little tyke's love Azamara. :D:D:D

Edited by Shake

No hate here. Count me in on the "I love children" !! :)

But if it was the kids pick, Celebrity would be behind Disney, Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival.

If left entirely to them, then yes...absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately for them, it is me paying...lol :D

HOWEVER, I am very aware that as they get a little older they will NEED to be on one of the other lines. But I can get away with with it for a couple of years. I know for a RC cruise in the summer holidays, I am looking at around £8,500 for the 4 of us....so am going to start saving for 2017 for a RC cruise...See, I am a good mummy lmfao :D:D:p:p

No hate here. Count me in on the "I love children" !! :)

But if it was the kids pick, Celebrity would be behind Disney, Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival.

I didn't think you were one the haters. For the most part, I agree with your list. But the kids aren't paying the bill and it's not like Celebrity is Viking River Cruises for children either. The Fun Factory is well thought out and real fun for our kids and there have always been many kids on our X cruises.

I didn't think you were one the haters. For the most part, I agree with your list. But the kids aren't paying the bill and it's not like Celebrity is Viking River Cruises for children either. The Fun Factory is well thought out and real fun for our kids and there have always been many kids on our X cruises.

My 3 are really really looking forward to it. They have seen all the photos of the Eclipse and just can't wait. And I know they will love it...Most people like them so we will be fine lol :D:p:rolleyes:

That's true the Fun Factory is nothing to complain about, it's good. Most of the Celebrity cruises I've been on there have not been a lot of children and appear to be bored. The child population is also greater with Disney, RCCL, NCL and Carnival.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shake viewpost.gif

Hey while we're at it, maybe we should start a new post on the Azamara board on whether it's a good cruise line for your child.

Wouldn't be long before most would be posting how much their little tyke's love Azamara. :D:D

HMMMMMM, maybe not. lol :D

Just for a chuckle? .....Well your probably right. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shake viewpost.gif

Wouldn't be long before most would be posting how much their little tyke's love Azamara. :D:D

HMMMMMM, maybe not. lol :D

Just for a chuckle? .....Well your probably right. :)

Naughty Naughty lol :p

Up until my son turned 12- Celebrity was his favorite cruise line. He much preferred it over Royal Caribbean. Once he turned 12 however, he enjoyed NCL much more. I would say that Celebrity is excellent for children 3-11 and just ok for kids 12 and over. The teen program is really good but teens often don't like youth programs. At this point 12 and over- there aren't many things onboard that will interest teens. The pools are boring for the most part.

I think NCL is better than Royal if you are trying to decide on lines for teens.

We did Disney and IMO it isn't a great cruise line. The ship is dumbed down for kids and the dining was especially disappointing. The buffet is the worst I've ever encountered. The pool area was packed with kids and was claustrophobic. The main dining rooms were noisy and the food was the same crap they feed you at the Disney resorts and parks- totally forgettable. My son did enjoy it but I'm paying and I have to enjoy it too.

Up until my son turned 12- Celebrity was his favorite cruise line. He much preferred it over Royal Caribbean. Once he turned 12 however, he enjoyed NCL much more. I would say that Celebrity is excellent for children 3-11 and just ok for kids 12 and over. The teen program is really good but teens often don't like youth programs. At this point 12 and over- there aren't many things onboard that will interest teens. The pools are boring for the most part.

I think NCL is better than Royal if you are trying to decide on lines for teens.

We did Disney and IMO it isn't a great cruise line. The ship is dumbed down for kids and the dining was especially disappointing. The buffet is the worst I've ever encountered. The pool area was packed with kids and was claustrophobic. The main dining rooms were noisy and the food was the same crap they feed you at the Disney resorts and parks- totally forgettable. My son did enjoy it but I'm paying and I have to enjoy it too.

My friend and his wife took their 10 and 12 year old children on a Carnival Cruise(their first). They felt like their children were "tweeners". A little too old for the children's events, and a little young for the teenagers on board.

They were somewhat bored after a few days.

Wouldn't be TOO LONG before most would post how much their little tyke's love Azamara. :D:D:D

Actually the first year they were in existence they had full blown childrens programs but then again, there were extenuating circumstances.

Finding this discussion interesting...

I personally have been cruising for the better part of 30 years (since I was about 5 or 6)

I think a lot of what line is "best" also depends on the purpose of the trip and also what the child(ren) are used to.

Up until about 5 years ago, all of our trips were really "getaway" trips in that we really didn't do the shore excursions or touring, we just went to get away from everything so the kids clubs were a little more important as I was growing up as it gave me something to do other than sit by the pool or reading a book (you know those things before kindle and iPad)

Anyways, now we cruise for sightseeing and our 1YO is around adults all the time (live in a county club) and so being on a ship with that wouldn't be a big change of pace.

One thing I wrote on the Family Board is being respectful of others in the sense that if my child is fussing or being loud it might mean that I have to pick him up and go out of the room / restaurant. If he is behaving himself and isn't fussing or anything, most people probably wouldn't even know he was there.

So as much of the question is "is this a good line for children" I turn the question around and ask is this the right line for what your family is looking for.

I'm looking at Celebrity, too, because of the itinerary. Thanks for this thread, I've learned a lot and appreciate the constructive comments.

I gotta say: my DD was far better behaved than some adults I've seen on cruises!

Edited by travln1234

Not if they don't know any different ;). Our now-teens have been on 3 cruises -- all with Celebrity. They have loved each one (my 14-year-old actually cried when the cruise was over). The staff, even for the teens in the X Club, do an amazing job. My kids adored Lisa (on the Summit).

Like someone else mentioned, my husband and I prefer Celebrity over some of the other brands mentioned, so we sail on Celebrity. :)

On our last Celebrity cruise which was a Christmas cruise on Equinox, there were almost 600 children since schools were off. One bartender groaned and said to me "There are 600 kids on this cruise. There's normally only a few. The reason I work on Celebrity is because I don't want to have to deal with kids."

Had to laugh at that one!

Only real problem I witnessed several times were teenagers who would roam the ship at night in packs and caused issues at the disco and bars. Fights in the disco and security had to always be there at night. And one kid (brat!) who was only like 18 was arguing with a bar manager after he was caught buying martinis. I think he was using someone else's card but insisted that since Celebrity sold him a drink package (which I doubt) that they should serve him.

The bartenders don't work on Celebrity to avoid children. Get real. The only reason people work on cruise ships is for the $$$. None of service people enjoy shipboard life or the customers. The cast members and cruise directors do it for travel perks but the majority of the crew are simply there for your money and nothing else. So if you say you hate all the kids- they agree with you. If you love kids-they agree with you. Everything is always what the passengers want.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain