Cut Down on Eastern Caribbean Ports

MrBanana1240

I remember that Carnival used to send the Dreqam to St.Maarten. The Victory used to visit Dominica. The Sunshine, Freedom, Liberty and Breeze are doing more cruises to Aruba and Curacao rather than the Eastern route. When they do the Eastern route, its very expensive.

I know they arent going to Tortola and they cut down the calls to St.Maarten. I heard these are some of the best ports.

All of the Eastern cruises from Florida visit Grand Turk, St.Thomas, Nassau and San Juan. Carnival has added some variation, but still.

Why have they cut down so much? I really want to explore this area on a carnival ship but I dont think I'll be able to.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.Have a good day.

Apparently you don't remember when literally every single Eastern Caribbean itinerary looked like this:

Day 1 Miami

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 San Juan (6:00pm-12:00am)

Day 4 St. Thomas (8:00am-5:00pm)

Day 5 St. Maarten (8:00am-5:00pm)

Day 6 At Sea

Day 7 At Sea

Day 8 Miami

If anything, I think the options for Eastern Caribbean itineraries have gotten much better with the introduction of 8 night itineraries and ports of call like Grand Turk, La Romana and Tortola, and more imaginative itineraries that provide better hours in San Juan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are looking forward to Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

That said, I think that takes care of every Caribbean port that Carnival stops at, and that we are interested in.

We will switch to Celebrity or RCCL where we can go to ports such as Dominica, Martinique, Grenada, Tortola, St. Croix .... just to name a few.

Too bad Carnival won't go to those places. I purposely didn't book another Carnival cruise because it stopped in Nasau, San Juan and St. Thomas. So tired of stopping there!

Edited by ibcnusoon

We have done Eastern Carib a few times. Will miss the stop in Tortola, certainly a very beautiful island. Though, looking forward to Grand Turk since this is a new stop on the East Carib itinerary.

I agree. We found Tortola to be an entirely new, fresh unique port when we visited her on the Breeze last April. While I understand some of the logisitics to the marketing effort and the island going with a propriatery to certain lines, I was very disappointed when it was dropped later last year.

The other side of that coin is that I would be willing to wager that HMC and Grand Turk are consistently listed as the two top ports of call for the eastern Caribbean. So there is some mixed messages there.

Can they give more of a flavor of ports? yes. For what it is worth, Dominica and St Croix are not ones I would ever want to go back to.

Apparently you don't remember when literally every single Eastern Caribbean itinerary looked like this:

Day 1 Miami

Day 2 At Sea

Day 6 At Sea

Day 7 At Sea

Day 8 Miami

If anything, I think the options for Eastern Caribbean itineraries have gotten much better with the introduction of 8 night itineraries and ports of call like Grand Turk, La Romana and Tortola, and more imaginative itineraries that provide better hours in San Juan.

I wasn't cruising back then, so no I dont (:

I haven't been to anywhere in the Eastern Caribbean, but the pictures of Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay just look like a beach and some snorkeling. But its all subjective I guess.

I like how they mixed up the 6 nights on the Breeze and Freedom, while giving the Sunshine and Liberty no set, year-round schedule, flipping around a port or two on the weekly Glory or Conquest, etc. Its those things that I really like, and hope to try someday!

Why do you have to stick with Carnival? There are many other GREAT cruise lines that cruise to these ports.:confused:

I don't have to, I just really like them. And I had a bad experience on Royal. I think 90% of it was the fact that it went through the remnants of Hurricane Sandy, but the service and food were not that good.

But I will look into it. In November we are considering doing a cruise from San Juan and I really enjoy the itinerary that the Valor does (St.Thomas, Barbados, St.Lucia, St.Kitts, St.Maaten) so who knows.

I really loved the Carnival Freedom last week, so I would love to sail the 8 night that she offers to St.Thomas, San Juan, St.Maarten and Grand Turk, but again, who knows. Its all scheduling for me.

I'm on the May 17 Sunshine and we are going to Tortola and St Marten unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

Carnival is cutting Tortola later this year in like October and they are reducing the amount of stops to St.Maarten except fro the weekly cruise from San Juan (which is a struggle and a real PowerTrip for lots of people because of flight coasts) or the occasional 8 night cruise and the occasional 7 night cruise that had a funkly redesign for that week only.

Carnival is cutting Tortola later this year in like October and they are reducing the amount of stops to St.Maarten except fro the weekly cruise from San Juan (which is a struggle and a real PowerTrip for lots of people because of flight coasts) or the occasional 8 night cruise and the occasional 7 night cruise that had a funkly redesign for that week only.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I was concerned they might replace with Nassau.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I was concerned they might replace with Nassau.

:D After 3 November's in a row, it became a little tiring. But, I will admit that if we stopped there again in the future I would enjoy getting off and heading to the beach or shopping or something. Nothing huge.

On the Freedom 6.1.14 sailing, we're going to St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan PR, and Grand Turk. It isn't a regular itinerary, but is occasionally offered.

Just got off her on Staurday. By far the best ship, decor, crew and overall vibe onboard a ship I've ever experienced. I hope you have THE BEST time!

We are looking forward to Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

That said, I think that takes care of every Caribbean port that Carnival stops at, and that we are interested in.

We will switch to Celebrity or RCCL where we can go to ports such as Dominica, Martinique, Grenada, Tortola, St. Croix .... just to name a few.

Too bad Carnival won't go to those places. I purposely didn't book another Carnival cruise because it stopped in Nasau, San Juan and St. Thomas. So tired of stopping there!

You are right I've been to every port CCL offers in the Western and Eastern Caribbean , if they do not add different ports the bookings may drop. I've been to St. Thomas and Grand Cayman so many times I should own the Islands.

We are doing this cruise May 24, we were excited for the ports. We have been to St Maarten once before and are looking forward to visiting the island again. Can't wait! Have fun, we will leave it clean we return the day you go out.

We were on the Breeze last September and stopped at Tortola. We heard that the reson for not stopping there any more is that they are going to improve the dock or dredge it or something like that. And it is only going to be temporary. Of course island time and realistic time are two different speeds so don't be in a hurry to go there.

We were on the Breeze last September and stopped at Tortola. We heard that the reson for not stopping there any more is that they are going to improve the dock or dredge it or something like that. And it is only going to be temporary. Of course island time and realistic time are two different speeds so don't be in a hurry to go there.

There were some posts here that Tortola signed an exclusive arrangement (not sure how long with NCL and Royal (I think).

Day 1 Miami

Day 2 At Sea

Day 6 At Sea

Day 7 At Sea

Day 8 Miami

Actually St. Croix used to be a frequent go to island in that schedule instead of St. Maarten in the mid 90s to 2001. Carnival and all the other larger lines dropped them in 2002 because of passenger safety if I remember correctly. It has only been the last couple years or so that other lines have re-added St. Croix to some itineraries. When I went in 1997, the island had a festival in the evening at the pier for the cruise ship. It was a great experience and hope that someday it winds up on an itinerary of a cruise we take.

I agree with others on lack of variety between Carnival ships on the Eastern route. I would like to see alternate itineraries where some skip St. Thomas and sub St. Kitts or hit 3 of the Saints and 3 sea days, etc.

As a Floridian, please add more stops in Key West. It's more than the cost of an average cruise just to fly there and stay in a motel for the weekend. The Freedom stopped there, we took the bar crawl and had the best time.

Can do without Nassau as when there are more than three ships in port, getting into and around town is a real hassle. Good food and drink at Senor Frogs though.

Dominican Republic is no great shakes either. The new dock looks like you're parked in someones back yard. The downtown trip to market in the park finds average trinkets and souveniers.

San Juan in October is hotter than Hades with the heat on. And I live in Florida year round. A great day to spend poolside or on the Serenity deck.

St Thomas has great personal memories. Great deal on an engagement ring, Jagermeister shots in a downtown bar at 10 in the morning, followed by the obligatory excursion through Al Cohens Discount Liquors.

In St Marten four years ago we booked a timeshare excursion through Carnival. Classic beach and bbq, but it's no longer on the list.

Grand Turk. Margaritaville. Pool bar. Incommunicado. Nuff said.

Last years Breeze took us to Aruba. Arizona with aloe, but the beaches were as advertised. Just beautiful, and I'm not a big fan of sand. Curacao is upgraded and we took a nice stroll through downtown (by this time you can tell we're not the zip-lining, shark-feeding, snorkeling couple)