Bamboo - Need Advice

JerseyMom

Can anyone tell me how Bamboo works? I have one of the menus and it has 3 listings - 1 side for Bamboo, the middle with Sushi and Sashimi, and the right side has Teppankayi. Can you order from anything on the menu or do you have to be in a particular section. DH loves Sashimi - I do not. The Bamboo side of the menu appeals most to me and the Teppanyaki will most likely appeal to DS. Also mentioned on the menu is "a la carte" pricing. Is that in addition to the $12.50 pp cover charge? Is there a separate charge for each item you order or is it one charge for ordering off of a particular menu? DH can put away quite a bit of Sashimi and that could be a very expensive dinner.

Thanks!

Bamboo is really composed of a number of different dining venues. The menu combines all the different offerings. You won't be able to pick and choose off the menu that you're looking at. Teppanyaki is one section of Bamboo. It's a Benihana-like restaurant where they turn the food preparation into a mini-show. The Bamboo part of Bamboo (the left side of the menu) has a cover charge, which allows you to order a 3-course meal (soup, entree, dessert) for one price. Seating for Bamboo is competely separate from the seating for Teppanyaki. The middle part of the menu is for Sushi and Sashimi, which is completely a la carte. To make is even more confusing, but to give you even more choice, there is an all-you-can-eat Sushi bar (for a set cover charge).

Hope this helps. I'm sorry that I can't give you exact prices for anything since it's been 18 months since I was on the Dawn.

I loved Teppanyaki. I had the Saipan combination (striploin steak & jumbo shrimp). Absolutely delicious! Hmmm....I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

I was eyeing that one as well - it's good to know you enjoyed it. I plan on taking your advice.

I wanted to add: make your reservation for Teppanyaki as soon as possible. It's a very small venue (seats either 12 or 18 per seating with, I think, 3 seatings per night). I'm pretty sure that the Dawn now allows you to make your specialty restaurant reservations for the entire cruise on the first day. Go to the reception desk after embarking and ask to see the entire week's menus for the main dining rooms. They keep a binder behind the desk with all the menus in it. That way, you can figure out which night will suit you best.

Archived