Port of Miami to PBI

moomoocow

Hi everyone

We've booked our flights (finally) to Rio and coming back to the UK from Miami was £220 each cheaper by flying out of PBI rather than MIA.

So now I need information on the best, quickest and cheapest way to get to the airport from the port. I assume the three criteria are not mutually exclusive?

I was thinking of a car rental as it doesn't seem more than a few hours drive max. Failing that a shuttle but they seem to be on their own time and confusingly priced. A taxi seems prohibitively expensive.

What would you guys suggest? I'm going to post this on the Miami port board also but your help will be appreciated.

Hi everyone

We've booked our flights (finally) to Rio and coming back to the UK from Miami was £220 each cheaper by flying out of PBI rather than MIA.

So now I need information on the best, quickest and cheapest way to get to the airport from the port. I assume the three criteria are not mutually exclusive?

I was thinking of a car rental as it doesn't seem more than a few hours drive max. Failing that a shuttle but they seem to be on their own time and confusingly priced. A taxi seems prohibitively expensive.

What would you guys suggest? I'm going to post this on the Miami port board also but your help will be appreciated.

Easiest is take I-95 North to the PBI exit, which is just after Southern Blvd...it's about 75 miles, or about 1 hr. & 10-15 minutes, as long as there are no delays..you can also take the Florida Turnpike ( North again..) to Southern Blvd, and follow signs east to the airport...it costs a little $$, but there is usually less traffic on the turnpike than on 95....where are you in in the UK? I go alot as I'm friends with Status Quo..just came back in December from shows in Brighton & O2 Center....let me know if you need anymore help...Cheers,

Big Al

We hired a private car to do the Port of Miami to West Palm Beach Airport route once, only because we didn't have the spare time to pick up the rental car and still make our flight.

If you have the time, there is a Hertz downtown location just a short distance from the pier. They have a free shuttle. You can also take the free rental shuttles to the Miami airport. A couple of rental companies share. I am sure you can find which exact ones on the Miami board. Florida does not allow one-way car rental fees so it's a great state to hire in one place and drop off in another. Palm Beach airport is really nice too.

If you do rent a car, I will also confirm that it's an easy drive right up the interstate. I'd say from rental car (downtown Miami) to rental car at PBI it would be roughly an hour and 10 minutes. and very easy.

Anyone had experience of using Tri Rail? Thinking that might be by far the cheapest and stress free way to do it?

Tri- Rail does NOT take you to PBI..you will still have to get a cab and get to the airport...train time is about 2 hours due to all the stops...and they are not like trains in the UK or France...not really nice...maybe stress free BUT like I said, you still have to get cabs to go to Tri-Rail and in WPB....

Big Al

We hired a private car to do the Port of Miami to West Palm Beach Airport route once, only because we didn't have the spare time to pick up the rental car and still make our flight.

If you want stress free, hire the private car and driver. We used All Limo, Inc. then and are using them again a week from Saturday. It was about $120.00 gratuities included from POM to PBI. I don't know of a way to PBI that is stress free and cheap. http://www.alllimoinc.com/

If you want stress free, hire the private car and driver. We used All Limo, Inc. then and are using them again a week from Saturday. It was about $120.00 gratuities included from POM to PBI. I don't know of a way to PBI that is stress free and cheap. http://www.alllimoinc.com/

Hi

Thanks very much for this - it is the cheapest price I've seen for a driver and obviously it's door to door as well which helps. I'll look into it.

1 hour and 15 minutes driving after 19 nights (and days) of Strawberry daqari's! Are you sure?

Exactly! I want to avoid driving round Miami at the end of my holiday - I can almost feel my stress levels rising at the thought.

Plus my blood alcohol level will probably be toxic by then!

They've emailed me a quote (quick eh?!) and it's $180 for two people. Also on a Saturday. Wonder why there is a 33% price difference between us and you guys?

They've emailed me a quote (quick eh?!) and it's $180 for two people. Also on a Saturday. Wonder why there is a 33% price difference between us and you guys?

My fault. I pulled up the wrong invoice. The quote of $120 I gave you was for our trip a week from this Saturday from POM to FLL. Our trip from POM to PBI in 2012 was $180, same as your quote. Sorry for the confusion.

My fault. I pulled up the wrong invoice. The quote of $120 I gave you was for our trip a week from this Saturday from POM to FLL. Our trip from POM to PBI in 2012 was $180, same as your quote. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh no don't worry - glad you could clear it up!

Tri- Rail does NOT take you to PBI..you will still have to get a cab and get to the airport...train time is about 2 hours due to all the stops...and they are not like trains in the UK or France...not really nice...maybe stress free BUT like I said, you still have to get cabs to go to Tri-Rail and in WPB....

Big Al

Hi Big Al

I had to chuckle at your comparison to UK trains! Our trains are extremely expensive, abysmally overcrowded, frequently late and filled with obnoxious and often drunk/high passengers.

The first three times I travelled London to Manchester (which should take two hours) I didn't have a seat for the entire time. One time I was physically pushed out of the way by a passenger. Each train was late arriving, the worst was 45 minutes over schedule and waited outside Manchester Piccadilly for a further 20 minutes because a platform wasn't free!

The price for the tri train ticket is $5 and includes the 5 minute transfer from West Palm Beach station to the airport by bus. The way I see it is we dock at 6am and our flight leaves at 2.30pm. We have time to taxi to MIA tri train stop, travel up to PBI. If I compare $35 to $180 then I have $145 dollars to spend elsewhere. And I think the train will be an adventure!

Hi Big Al

I had to chuckle at your comparison to UK trains! Our trains are extremely expensive, abysmally overcrowded, frequently late and filled with obnoxious and often drunk/high passengers.

The first three times I travelled London to Manchester (which should take two hours) I didn't have a seat for the entire time. One time I was physically pushed out of the way by a passenger. Each train was late arriving, the worst was 45 minutes over schedule and waited outside Manchester Piccadilly for a further 20 minutes because a platform wasn't free!

The price for the tri train ticket is $5 and includes the 5 minute transfer from West Palm Beach station to the airport by bus. The way I see it is we dock at 6am and our flight leaves at 2.30pm. We have time to taxi to MIA tri train stop, travel up to PBI. If I compare $35 to $180 then I have $145 dollars to spend elsewhere. And I think the train will be an adventure!

It won't be an adventure. You will be pleasantly surprised how nice a ride it will be. You just need the flexibility of time.

Hi Big Al

Moonmocow- I have not travelled ALOT on the UK trains, but I have done the Victoria St- Brighton route ( 45-50 min) about 10-12 times and also taken trains to Oxford, Birmingham, Bristol, Bournemouth, Cardiff, and a few other cities, and have never had a problem..I find the Tube alot more frustrating, schlepping my suitcase up & down those escalators in central London after a 9 hour overnight flight, when I don't sleep a wink...but you are right- the Tri Rail would be a good option for you and much less $$...hope you do "Whatever You Want", LOL , as the Quo would say....Cheers to Peter Noone, a Manchester native, whom I've seen & met several times...

Big Al