Miami Port to PBI - advice required please

moomoocow

Hi everyone

We've booked our flights (finally) to Rio and coming back to the UK from Miami was £220 each cheaper by flying out of PBI rather than MIA.

So now I need information on the best, quickest and cheapest way to get to the airport from the port. I assume the three criteria are not mutually exclusive?

I was thinking of a car rental as it doesn't seem more than a few hours drive max. Failing that a shuttle but they seem to be on their own time and confusingly priced. A taxi seems prohibitively expensive.

What would you guys suggest? We dock on Saturday 2nd August approx. 7am (if the date and time helps) and we are Brits with zero knowledge of Miami, a little knowledge of Florida, and experience of driving in the US.

Thanks in advance

It is about a 1.5 to 2-hour drive from POM to PBI; hopefully Saturday traffic will be light.

If you are not in a hurry and can handle your own luggage you can cab to MIA ($24+tip) and then ride the Tri-Rail train to PBI. Check out the schedule at http://www.tri-rail.com/

Another option is to shuttle or cab to the MIA airport -- and avoid driving in downtown traffic -- and pick up a rental car at the airport (National, Alamo & Thirfty offer a free shuttle from POM to their MIA airport location :cool:).

I would also check with Larry's Limos (Miami based) as well as Go Airport Shuttle, QLS and a few of the other FLL based transportation providers for a quote.

If this helps you owe me a pint - my wife is from outside of Manchester, so I prefer Boddington's bitter, please! :D

Hi everyone

We've booked our flights (finally) to Rio and coming back to the UK from Miami was £220 each cheaper by flying out of PBI rather than MIA.

So now I need information on the best, quickest and cheapest way to get to the airport from the port. I assume the three criteria are not mutually exclusive?

I was thinking of a car rental as it doesn't seem more than a few hours drive max. Failing that a shuttle but they seem to be on their own time and confusingly priced. A taxi seems prohibitively expensive.

What would you guys suggest? We dock on Saturday 2nd August approx. 7am (if the date and time helps) and we are Brits with zero knowledge of Miami, a little knowledge of Florida, and experience of driving in the US.

Thanks in advance

If you can schedule your flight from PBI the next day. By the time you clear customs it probably around 9AM. Have you checked flights from Fort Lauderdale home ?

If you can schedule your flight from PBI the next day. By the time you clear customs it probably around 9AM. Have you checked flights from Fort Lauderdale home ?

Yeah both FFL and MIA were £200 dearer. I'm thinking the Tri Rail seems a decent choice.

Yeah both FFL and MIA were £200 dearer. I'm thinking the Tri Rail seems a decent choice.

Definitely check into a rental car, they are very inexpensive and a few have free shuttles right from the port to their nearby offices. There are a few threads here about which companies have shuttles. How long does Tri-Rail take and at what cost?

Definitely check into a rental car, they are very inexpensive and a few have free shuttles right from the port to their nearby offices. There are a few threads here about which companies have shuttles. How long does Tri-Rail take and at what cost?

There is a major plus in that tri-rail on a Saturday is $5 each. But the downside is it's only an hourly service.

I suppose a rental seems a good bet but I wanted to avoid the driving. Anyone have an idea how bad the traffic might be up to PBI on a Saturday morning?

Rental Car is the way to go

I wouldn't concern myself with Saturday morning traffic . . . it's nothing compared to the weekdays.

The trip is one hour if everything is silky smooth, but to be safe I'd plan out for 1 1/2 hours.

Easy trip north on I-95.

What time is your flight from PBI? :confused:

You need to be at PBI at least 90 minutes early for a domestic flight (assuming you are making connections somewhere from PBI). If you are off the ship by about 9:00 you can cab to MIA and be at the Tri-Rail station ready for a train by about 9:30 or 10, which would put you in PBI about 11:00 - 11:30. Does that work for your flight? :confused:

A rental car will not be much quicker - between checking the car out, traffic, gas, and return it will take about the same time or longer.

If your flight is earlier you can carry your bags off the ship and probably be in a cab heading to MIA by 8:00 or a little before. A taxi on the trip will be your absolute fastest, and will cost $125+ :eek:

What time is your flight from PBI? :confused:

You need to be at PBI at least 90 minutes early for a domestic flight (assuming you are making connections somewhere from PBI). If you are off the ship by about 9:00 you can cab to MIA and be at the Tri-Rail station ready for a train by about 9:30 or 10, which would put you in PBI about 11:00 - 11:30. Does that work for your flight? :confused:

A rental car will not be much quicker - between checking the car out, traffic, gas, and return it will take about the same time or longer.

If your flight is earlier you can carry your bags off the ship and probably be in a cab heading to MIA by 8:00 or a little before. A taxi on the trip will be your absolute fastest, and will cost $125+ :eek:

My domestic flight leaves PBI at 14.30. So that's doable.

My domestic flight leaves PBI at 14.30. So that's doable.

For a 2:30 flight you need to be at PBI by 1:00 (earlier is better, but that is not a large o busy airport compared to MIA and FLL. You shoudl be fine with either the train or a rental car - good luck! :)

For a 2:30 flight you need to be at PBI by 1:00 (earlier is better, but that is not a large o busy airport compared to MIA and FLL. You shoudl be fine with either the train or a rental car - good luck! :)

Pint of Bods for you then!

I can send you a pack of 4 cans - almost as good as the real thing!