Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

keegsgrammy

Going higher in the Lighthouse will be great ! Such a beautiful point of view of Bermuda.

But I better get in shape...more steps...I might die climbing...but then again I will be closer to heaven...185 steps closer !

Cant wait to be there again !

How do you get the the lighthouse?

You could go by bus, routes #7 or #8, but I believe the bus stop for the route #7 bus is closer to the L/H. A taxi is an option, but the weekday metered fare is about $30.00 for 4 passengers, but you will have door to door service. If you take the bus you have to walk from the bus stop to the L/H, a distance of about .3 miles uphill.

SBtS

Just of Explorer this Thursday. They were still working on the lighthouse. Our guide (who lived in the lighthouse) was disgusted that the work had not been completed yet. She was amused that they had taped over the completion date on the work sign.

• 2 weeks later...
You could go by bus, routes #7 or #8, but I believe the bus stop for the route #7 bus is closer to the L/H. A taxi is an option, but the weekday metered fare is about $30.00 for 4 passengers, but you will have door to door service. If you take the bus you have to walk from the bus stop to the L/H, a distance of about .3 miles uphill.

SBtS

SBtS-

How much time would you need to take the bus to GHLH, see the sights, then head back to the Dockyard by bus? What if you did a taxi instead?

Trying to figure out which day to try to fit it in...

SBtS-

How much time would you need to take the bus to GHLH, see the sights, then head back to the Dockyard by bus? What if you did a taxi instead?

Trying to figure out which day to try to fit it in...

You're assuming the L/H will be open for your visit in about 2 weeks? Would you go if it were still closed?

If it is open, the bus ride would be about 33 minutes (one way); it is located just before Horseshoe Bay which is about 35 minutes. By sights, I'm assuming you mean a climb to the top. My guess that from the bus stop to the top and back to the bus stop should take about 1½ hours.

The taxi would make the travel time (one way) about 17-19 minutes but it will also save the walking time from the bus stop to the L/H and return, about 10-12 minutes in each direction.

SBtS

You're assuming the L/H will be open for your visit in about 2 weeks? Would you go if it were still closed?

If it is open, the bus ride would be about 33 minutes (one way); it is located just before Horseshoe Bay which is about 35 minutes. By sights, I'm assuming you mean a climb to the top. My guess that from the bus stop to the top and back to the bus stop should take about 1½ hours.

The taxi would make the travel time (one way) about 17-19 minutes but it will also save the walking time from the bus stop to the L/H and return, about 10-12 minutes in each direction.

SBtS

Is it completely closed down, or just scaffolding to paint it? I cn't find any good info on it...

Edit: NM. Closed down. So now the bigger question is how to find out if it re-opens before I get there...

Edited by Winston Wolf

I saw a FB post this morning showing the scaffolding coming down. Should be completed in 3 days they said!

Hi,

What FB page ? A public/touristic page ? or a private page ?

If it is a public one, I would love to know which one it is !

Thank you in advance ,

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi,

What FB page ? A public/touristic page ? or a private page ?

If it is a public one, I would love to know which one it is !

Thank you in advance ,

There is this one of Byway Tours: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=448907035254743&set=a.268678243277624.1073741828.268676736611108&type=1&theater but the photo there is from early May

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but was wondering if it is better to do this lighthouse or St David's Lighthouse? Thoughts on the differences?

The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse is close to the Dockyard, as well as the South Beaches so it's easy to combine a visit there with a trip to Horseshoe Bay or Warwick Long Bay, while the St. David's Lighthouse is all the way on the other end of the island and require a long trip.

The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse also provides the more spectacular view because it's stands higher above sea level.

The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse is close to the Dockyard, as well as the South Beaches so it's easy to combine a visit there with a trip to Horseshoe Bay or Warwick Long Bay, while the St. David's Lighthouse is all the way on the other end of the island and require a long trip.

The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse also provides the more spectacular view because it's stands higher above sea level.

I do plan on going over to St George to visit Tobacco Bay, the Unfinished Church, Sea Glass beach and thought since St David's was over that way that it might be nice to hit it up as well (although I'm not quite sure about how to get there since it seems to be out a little, but yet #6 bus runs that way???).

When doing a search for pictures of both St Davids and Gibbs, I find the pictures taken from the top of St Davids really neat with the different pastel colored houses (which Gibbs doesn't seem to have??) and thought it looked a little better.

Thoughts?

We plan on going to both in August. Never been to St. David's lighthouse before but read recently that it is free. DD7 loves lighthouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is Gibbs not free?

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse :

Admission fee is 2,50$ per person.

Free for 5 years old and under.

You have to buy your ticket at the gift shop and then deposit that ticket in a small box at the entrance just before the steps...

NOT recommended to climb with a broken toe ;) ...

Edited by sebas030

Admission fee is 2,50$ per person.

Free for 5 years old and under.

You have to buy your ticket at the gift shop and then deposit that ticket in a small box at the entrance just before the steps...

NOT recommended to climb with a broken toe ;) ...

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind. (All broken parts are healed...toes and hands. :D)

St. Davids:

You can reach St Davis Lighthouse by bus #6 that operates from St George. While visiting from Royal Naval Dockyard, take the direct Orange ferry to St George and then bus #6 to St Davids. From Hamilton City you can reach St George by bus # 10, 11, 1 and 3, and then take bus #6 to St Davids.

St. Davids:

You can reach St Davis Lighthouse by bus #6 that operates from St George. While visiting from Royal Naval Dockyard, take the direct Orange ferry to St George and then bus #6 to St Davids. From Hamilton City you can reach St George by bus # 10, 11, 1 and 3, and then take bus #6 to St Davids.

Thanks. That's what I have figured out on my map that I printed.

How far of a walk once you get off of the #6 bus is it to the lighthouse or does it directly drop you off in front of it?