Non-premium Bottled Water

Klala

Here is a photo from this current thread about brown water on the ships:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2033867

Not a very appealing color unless it is because there is whiskey mixed in with it! I've seen this before and been told it was from "stirring the tanks" and safe to drink. Did I believe them? Well, I'm not normally one to worry but let's just say we bought a lot of bottled water on those cruises.

2014-04-26060137_zpsdbef7308.jpg

Edited by Crazy Cruzer

The above is interesting as it is in direct contrast with the facts explained to me in a lecture a couple years back given by Celebrity's fleet water systems engineer, who happened to be on board that cruise. A summary of the discussion is posted in the thread I linked to above and it explains the different systems used and why the sodium level in the ship's water is above common levels.

Sorry, Lsimon, but you are clearly in the minority on this topic. Several people have reported that they were told the water has less sodium and is not the reason. Others on other threads have indicated their professional training points to the sodium in the food served on board, not the water. Very few people report that it is the water. Even though you strongly believe that it is the water that is the cause, as you point out on ever thread that ever comes up on this topic while recommending that people purchase expensive bottled water, I must go with the majority, and the science, on this one.

It is the food that is the main culprit, and changing to bottled water will have minimal to zero effect. I would caution anyone to recommend to people that they spend their money on unnecessary bottled water based on a minority opinion of what the facts are.

Edited by fortinweb

Sorry, Lsimon, but you are clearly in the minority on this topic. Several people have reported that they were told the water has less sodium and is not the reason. Others on other threads have indicated their professional training points to the sodium in the food served on board, not the water. Very few people report that it is the water. Even though you strongly believe that it is the water that is the cause, as you point out on ever thread that ever comes up on this topic while recommending that people purchase expensive bottled water, I must go with the majority, and the science, on this one.

It is the food that is the main culprit, and changing to bottled water will have minimal to zero effect. I would caution anyone to recommend to people that they spend their money on unnecessary bottled water based on a minority opinion of what the facts are.

Believe what you will.

All I know is that changing to bottled water eliminates our bloating/swelling symptoms. I don't care if it is the sodium, another ingredient, or some other reason. I just know it makes all the difference to us and many others.

Just because it does not effect you does not mean it does not effect others.

As for the science: I guess the Celebrity Fleet Water systems engineer either doesn't understand the science as well as you do or he decided to lie to everyone in the lecture when he told us the water desalinated by the reverse osmosis system does have higher sodium levels.

As for being in the minority on this: you are absolutely correct. I always say this does not effect everyone and that people should only consider the bottled water if they have problems - please reread the last paragraph of my post above if you doubt this. But just because a minority of people have this issue doesn't mean that it does not exist. Only a small percentage of the population has food allergies so do you doubt that they really exist as well?

Edited by Lsimon

Actually I don't think LSimon is in the minority! :eek: I think it's the water. The problem for me shows an immediate improvement when I stop drinking ships water or stop taking ice in drinks. If it were the salt in food then how would it improve? I stopped taking the water a few cruises ago but continued with ice, last cruise I had to stop ice as well. I'm cruising in four weeks and won't be touching either.

I think it's likely the food affects some people as well.

I have cruised about 25 times. I have had swelling in hands and feet. I am a nurse and decided about 10 years ago to bring a case of water on board. It was before the drink packages were available. Voila no more swelling!!! I am a firm believer. I am lucky the ice does not bother me. This fall we have the classic drink package and I am looking forward to not bringing my own water on board.

One tip I also do is to wear flight socks on long flights. Drink lots of water before flying. My feet will also swell if I do not wear the socks.

I do believe the swelling is the combination of things and how much salt they cook with to make the food taste good. Drinking bottled water has worked for me and I will continue with this. My husband drinks the tap water with no problems.