MSC Divina Review 04/12/2014 Western Caribbean Sailing

thraak

Enjoyed reading your cruise review for the Divina. My wife and I and two of our friends are booked on the Divina for a Nov. 10 day cruise. This will be our 15 cruise and first for this cruise line. Read a lot of positive reviews which were enough for us to getting us booked on this ship. What shows did you go to? What was your cabin like and was it a balcony? Did you go to Falmouth? Any other things you feel you can pass along that might be helpful please pass them along.:cool:

Enjoyed reading your cruise review for the Divina. My wife and I and two of our friends are booked on the Divina for a Nov. 10 day cruise. This will be our 15 cruise and first for this cruise line. Read a lot of positive reviews which were enough for us to getting us booked on this ship. What shows did you go to? What was your cabin like and was it a balcony? Did you go to Falmouth? Any other things you feel you can pass along that might be helpful please pass them along.:cool:

The shows that we went to on Sunday through Wednesday were Wonderland, Pirates and, well I forget the names but if you enjoy La Nouba type shows with acrobats, contortionists, incredible choreography, a little magic and superb singing and dancing, you’ll be amazed. On Thursday night, they had a great Michael Jackson show. The shows, from what everyone said, are the best at sea, by far.

It has been many years since we have cruised. They wouldn’t allow our family member, an 8 yr. old Boxer named Slash aboard, so we would never leave him on vacations. Sadly, on Feb. 11th Slash passed. My wife said that she would like to go on a cruise and she picked out a last minute deal for a 3 night cruise on Royal Caribbean for $299 per person. Living in Orlando, we are able to make last minute decisions regarding cruising. I showed her a Youtube video of the Divina and told her that I can get a 7 night cruise on the Divina for $299 per person. So needless to say, we had an inside cabin, grade I1, which is the lowest you can get. It was good but in the future, we would at least get the I2 cabin as it is a bit larger. No regrets though, whatsoever!!!

We went to Falmouth and got off the boat, and went to a tour information booth as we wanted to go horseback riding, for the first time, which you can see a picture of me in the water with my horse. I think it was about $75 a piece and it was for about 4 hours. Then, we had a blast bargaining with the Jamaicans just outside the port gates.

In Cozumel we boarded a taxi for an island tour. They wanted $45 a person or if you were in a group, it was $30. So we hung around for 5 minutes and a group formed and it was $30 a piece for a 5 hour tour. Started off on a tequila tour. (Which I hate Tequila). Went through downtown Cozumel. The driver would stop wherever the group decided. Then went through the island and saw how they live. (sad). Then went to the Cozumel Mayan ruins San Germa something or other. This tour was optional at a $10 cost. It was well worth it. Then we stopped at some scenic spots and beach clubs. It was great. I will be posting many more pictures of all of this. I wanted to do the Tulum ruins but I didn't want to get seasick on the ferry as so many people have said that it may happen.

The Bahamas beach day was spectacular!!!

You know, people always criticize but rarely give credit where it is due. I am serious when I say that I want to board the Divina again and again before thinking about any other cruise line. It is just what we like. It isn’t a party cruise with a bunch of drunks. Don’t get me wrong, I love, love, love my beer, but it isn’t a wild cruise with large families and people being loud and obnoxious.

I WANT TO GO BACK OCT 4th and MARCH 12!!!

Edited by thraak

Loved the pics! I noticed quite a few kids in the pool shots. Isn't there an adult pool somewhere? I assume lots of kids since spring break time. Hoping by now they are all back in school. Lots of great tips....thanks.

Loved the pics! I noticed quite a few kids in the pool shots. Isn't there an adult pool somewhere? I assume lots of kids since spring break time. Hoping by now they are all back in school. Lots of great tips....thanks.

Actually, I thought that there would have been more kids. There are a few pools to choose from. There is one on the Solarium deck that is, I think suppose to be adults only, but I've read that it wasn't. Plus I think that it's an extra $25 a day to use.

One day, I had a prime spot picked and left my towel on the lounger to go eat lunch. When I got back, the seat was taken. I found out later that the very large supervisor, (the only crew member that NEVER smiled) had given up my lounger. From then on, I left a pair of cheap flipflops on the towel and I never lost my lounger.... :-)

Believe it or not. The only thing that I was dissatisfied with was the in-room safe. Once I put my code in, it would not always pop open. So, I would have to take my cruise card and wedge it open. I suggested on the comment card that they need to apply an adhesive knob or handle on the front. It may have just been my safe. This was my only complaint on the whole cruise. Not bad, huh?

I sailed on Divina at the end of March. I can't coment on kids in the pools because I did not spend my time there. However, I was surprised there seemed to be few pint-size passengers in the MDR for early seating. It could just be credited to the location (starboard by the windows in Villa Rossa) or kids were present more during the late seating. Also could be parents chose to let their children eat the evening meal with the kid's club. Anyway, that was my observation. Unlike when we sail on Disney and many children are eating dinner in the dining rooms.

Edited by logan25

not bad but again, doesn't sound very "safe". I put all my valuables in the safe so hopefully ours will be a good one. Thanks again for all the tips on the Divina. Leaving Saturday.....but first a long flight from LA.

Oh no. It was perfectly safe!!! It locked good, it's just that once you enter your code, it unlocks but sometimes the door didn't swing out so you had to give it a little pry. As you would if it had a handle. Perfectly safe!

Edited by thraak

Actually, I thought that there would have been more kids. There are a few pools to choose from. There is one on the Solarium deck that is, I think suppose to be adults only, but I've read that it wasn't. Plus I think that it's an extra $25 a day to use.

One day, I had a prime spot picked and left my towel on the lounger to go eat lunch. When I got back, the seat was taken. I found out later that the very large supervisor, (the only crew member that NEVER smiled) had given up my lounger. From then on, I left a pair of cheap flipflops on the towel and I never lost my lounger.... :-)

I do not know what MSCs rules are regarding this but on most other cruise lines, depending on the amount of time gone, this is known as "Chogging" (Chair Hogging). On carnival, I know the time limit is 40 minutes that you can be gone away from your chair before it can be relinquished for someone else to use, no matter what personal effects you many leave on it. Some quite spirited conversations about chogging on their forum!

On April 12th, my wife and I boarded the MSC Divina to the Western Caribbean. The whole experience exceeded our expectations in every regard. We can't wait to board the ship again.

First, a little background: My wife and I are in the 45-50 yr. age bracket. I am American and she is Irish. We are very casual cruisers. We read some negative reviews and decided to keep an open mind. The average age of the clientele was about our age. It seemed that about 90% of them were European.

Cleanliness of the ship was beyond our belief. The friendliness of Capt. Scala and all of the staff couldn't have been better.

The breakfast buffet was delicious and offered a wide assortment of foods. The lunch buffet was even better. The pasta dishes and pizzas were exceptional. The dinner buffet was a little more limited but was still was more than expected. I think that the reason that the dinner buffet was smaller because many people chose to eat at the sit down dinners. The dining room meals were, well we don't know. As casual cruisers, we were always more than satisfied to eat at the buffets.

Drinks: We pre-purchased our drink vouchers. At $3.75 a beer, this has to be the best deal at sea. (Peroni, Stella, NewCastle, Guiness, Red Stripe, Corona, Heineken.... & American beers).

Entertainment: we missed the first and last night shows. The Sunday-Thursday night shows are NOT to be missed. I honestly think that the shows themselves are worth the price of the cruise!

We read that some people complained that the inroom tv had no dvd. That there were no chocolates on the pillows. That their bath towels were not made into animal shapes. This didn't seem to bother us. One middle aged man complained that the water slide should have been steeper as he got stuck in it twice. I believe that this can be attributed to user error as a 350 lb. man should not be attempting such a physical feat. Some people complained that they came down with the flu after returning home. I believe that this could simply be because it is flu season.

I can not say enough about the crew members. They work 16 hour days from 6am-10pm everyday. After 252 days, (9 months), they are able to take time off or renew their contract. Yet, day in and day out, they are constantly working, smiling and greeting you.

Once again, value-wise, cleanliness, friendliness, the quality of the food, drink prices and with MSC's superb entertainment, I wouldn't want to sail with anyone else!

PS......Well, it has been confirmed, as I am no longer in denial. I have been diagnosed with a case of the After-Cruise Blues Syndrome. The only known cure is to book another cruise on the same vessel for the fall. My prognosis is good and I have been told that as long as it is booked, I will immediately start to feel better!

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/102766395@N07/sets/72157644180313874/

My favorite meal is tripe (trippa in Italian), did you happen to see it on any menu or in the buffet? I`m sailing this Sat. on Divina & hoping they serve it. Can`t find it at any Italian restaurant here, have to visit Scranton, Pa. & a multitude of restaurant have it on the menu.

I can not be sure, but I it seems like I saw it. If there was, it would have been something that I would have passed over. There is a very large assortment of foods. During lunch, don't forget to go to the adjoining buffet towards the rear of the ship. There is an ethnic corner that has many other types of foods that are not in the adjoining buffet up front.

Edited by thraak

I can not be sure, but I it seems like I saw it. If there was, it would have been something that I would have passed over. There is a very large assortment of foods. During lunch, don't forget to go to the adjoining buffet towards the rear of the ship. There is an ethnic corner that has many other types of foods that are not in the adjoining buffet up front.

Thank you for the reply, Im departing tomorrow & will check both areas. I have learned to always head to the rear for less traffic.

You are very welcome! All I can honestly say is that I want to go back on the Divina and no other ship. Soon I will know if I will be on the Sept. 27th sailing.

1. Cleanliness of the relatively new vessel.

2. Superb entertainment!

3. Best drink packages at sea.

4. Overall value, clientele and service aboard.

You are very welcome! All I can honestly say is that I want to go back on the Divina and no other ship. Soon I will know if I will be on the Sept. 27th sailing.

1. Cleanliness of the relatively new vessel.

2. Superb entertainment!

3. Best drink packages at sea.

4. Overall value, clientele and service aboard.

I agree 100% with the above. We sailed her March 22-29 and I've thought of it ever since, and just know that whatever other ship we go on we'll be comparing to Divina. We loved everything except the very crowded buffet (spring break!)

Yep, I thought the same thing, that I would be comparing and probably be let down, so I want to stick with a sure thing. I think that I will be stuck thinking about her and will only feel satisfied by booking another fall cruise on her. Aaaargh!!!

By the way, on our April 12th sailing, the boat was at capacity but the buffet lines were not bad at all. Probably because there weren't a ton of kids on it then and more people ate in the main dining rooms.

Edited by thraak

Love your review! DH and I will be on the Sept. 27th sailing (and already looking to book a 2nd Divina cruise based on all the great recent reviews). If you do go on our sailing, be sure to join the roll call :D

Alicia