Marco polo to Piazzale Roma in VENICE

Tommieb14257

Hi: :confused:

I find the easiest way from the airport to the centre of town is by the ATVO bus.

I was wondering if the line up for tickets at the airport warrants pre purchasing them, online, and then do I have to stand in the line to redeem them or, just scan and go. Anyone have experience with this method?

Thanks

TommieB

Hi: :confused:

I find the easiest way from the airport to the centre of town is by the ATVO bus.

I was wondering if the line up for tickets at the airport warrants pre purchasing them, online, and then do I have to stand in the line to redeem them or, just scan and go. Anyone have experience with this method?

Thanks

TommieB

No, I would not bother purchasing them online. There usually only are a few people at most waiting to purchase bus tickets at the window in the front area of the airport. We actually get a real bus ticket at that window and then insert it for validation in the box by the doors of the bus. Very easy way to get into town.

Note that if you buy your vaporetto pass at the same airport window, your bus ride into town is included in the cost. That's what we did on our visit last September.

You can also purchase bus tickets in the ticket vending machine (when it works). They have a machine right at the bus stop (at the center island just outside the main terminal exit). The last time we were in Venice DW and I got out to the curb..only to find that stupid ticket machine out of order! So I had to run back inside to the ticket kiosk to get our tickets. What is important is to keep smiling :)

Now, regarding the previous post about combination bus and vaporetto.....we think not. You can get a combination ticket that includes the public ACTV bus and vaporetto, but that ACTV bus is really the local bus and totally different then the ATVO bus. The ACTV (which is the name of the company that runs the vaporettos and local public bus lines) does have a local bus that goes from Marco Polo to the Piazale Roma. But that bus is a "local" and makes stops along the way. It also does not have luggage storage for anything other then small hand luggage that you can keep on your lap, under your seat, or in the small overhead. On the other hand, the ATVO is a pretty luxurious Coach type bus which is express from the airport to the P. Roma. This ATVO bus has plenty of luggage storage underneath...although the driver might make the passengers load and unload their own luggage. The ATVO does cost a little more then the local ACTV bus....but we strongly recommend that ATVO for nearly all fellow tourists.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner