MSC DIVINA Back to Europe in Summer 2015

eroller

MSC would get more money from sales in Europe by bringing the Divina back for the summer season, i fail to see how it would attract more North Americans to sail Europe unless the cruises were only bookable by North Americans and i doubt that would happen.

Then there is the cost of return flights which many find prohibitive, unless of course MSC find a deal with one of the airlines.

Excellent points. The airfare is what keeps us from heading to Europe, as the Euro is still very strong against the dollar. The family has to bite the bullet and head over there next year, but I'm thinking we won't be able to add on a cruise, unfortunately.

What a surprise......I thought they would stay for the long hall....anyways we wanted to go on it again to see if things had changes since we came over on the repo to NA last fall....we plan to do a cruise out of New Orleans....prob should fly to Miami and do a 7 day just for old times sake....lol....hi Sidari

What a surprise......I thought they would stay for the long hall....anyways we wanted to go on it again to see if things had changes since we came over on the repo to NA last fall....we plan to do a cruise out of New Orleans....prob should fly to Miami and do a 7 day just for old times sake....lol....hi Sidari

MSC is just taking the summer off next year as they are doing this summer with the Divina going to South America!

Many cruise lines leave the Florida ports in the summer, HAL, some of Carnival, some of RCL, some of NCL, so MSC isn't alone!

The Divina will be back in Miami the Fall of 2015, and MSC has stated they are going to make some ship alterations the end of next summer to the Divina to 'enhance' her American appeal! :D

Hi Ken ... Hope you and Judy are well, we have been looking at a Magnifica cruise to Argentina in November but Kerry`s son is getting married next year so i think the cruise will have to wait.

We have some friends we met on the ship who are doing this one.....wanted us to come..on the Lirica ..but.....looks nice but not right now....going to Maui in the fall for a month

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sun Oct 26 Marseille, France 5:00pm

Mon Oct 27 Genoa, Italy 8:00am 4:00pm

Tue Oct 28 At Sea

Wed Oct 29 Cartagena, Spain 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Oct 30 Malaga, Spain 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri Oct 31 Casablanca, Morocco 8:00am 10:00pm

Sat Nov 1 At Sea

Sun Nov 2 Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands 8:00am 6:00pm

Mon Nov 3 At Sea

Tue Nov 4 At Sea

Wed Nov 5 At Sea

Thu Nov 6 At Sea

Fri Nov 7 At Sea

Sat Nov 8 Fortaleza, Brazil 8:00am 3:00pm

Sun Nov 9 At Sea

Mon Nov 10 Salvador, Brazil 1:00pm 7:00pm

Tue Nov 11 Ilheus, Brazil 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Nov 12 At Sea

Thu Nov 13 Búzios, Brazil 9:00am 6:00pm

Fri Nov 14 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 8:00am 6:00pm

Sat Nov 15 Sao Paulo (Santos), Brazil

We might see you again as for sure will do another MSC cruise....maybe another of the repos back to NA as had such a good time on the Diva and the weather was super also...Ken

I would consider that true. When Americans think cruises they think RCl, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, not MSC. I am hesitant to even try MSC don't know why just seems weird.

If you tell someone you cruised MSC, the standard reply is " never heard of them.

The Divina will be back in Miami the Fall of 2015, and MSC has stated they are going to make some ship alterations the end of next summer to the Divina to 'enhance' her American appeal! :D

I read that last part in the release and wonder what they will do exactly to 'enhance' Divina's 'American appeal'? Any ideas?

I think that if MSC truly wants to attract the North American cruiser in Europe, they need to expand their Med itineraries apart from the standard seven day commuter circuit with multiple embarcation ports.

I do not know why neither MSC or Costa offer a 12 day Barcelona - Venice (or vice versa), or 12 day round trip Barcelona that Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean have.

I feel that North Americans - if they are going to pay for the airfare to cross the Atlantic will be more apt to do so for a longer cruise - and then tack on a few days before or after.

Not just North Americans. I'm from NZ and would love to take my kids on a 12 night cruise that hits the major points in the Mediterranean - Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Istanbul, Santorini, Pompeii/Naples, Cittiveccia/Rome, Florence and Barcelona. We may end up doing a B2B of the East and west Med but even so, it's hard finding MSC itineraries that do both Citteveccia and Naples and those two are on my non-negotiable list.

In 2012 I did a Holland America 12 day from Barcelona - and as you indicated it did hit major ports in Italy - and Greece - and yes - the gem that is Dubrovnik. It was a very busy itinerary, but definitely worth it.

If you tell someone you cruised MSC, the standard reply is " never heard of them.

Which is extremely sad. They look like they have an awesome product and a great cruising itinerary.

Would I be wrong if I was to say that there main competition is Carnival and Royal? I think that they could easily take them on if they become more "fun and American." I look forward to trying them one day!

There were quite a few passengers from the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa) that were staying on for another twelve days. The first cruise was Barcelona to Venice, followed by a 12 day round trip from Venice. There were even some making the twelve day return to Barcelona for a total of 36 days. If you are flying from half way around the world, it makes sense to take the longest cruise possible.

In 2012 I did a Holland America 12 day from Barcelona - and as you indicated it did hit major ports in Italy - and Greece - and yes - the gem that is Dubrovnik. It was a very busy itinerary, but definitely worth it.

I've just had a look at Holland Americas itineraries for next year and have fallen in love with a 24 night cruise! One thing that stands out, other than the exceptional ports, is the length of time in each port. There are even several overnights. I wish MSC would consider extending their port times.

There were quite a few passengers from the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa) that were staying on for another twelve days. The first cruise was Barcelona to Venice, followed by a 12 day round trip from Venice. There were even some making the twelve day return to Barcelona for a total of 36 days. If you are flying from half way around the world, it makes sense to take the longest cruise possible.

EXACTLY!!!! When airfares per person are around $2,000 per person to get to London, it makes sense to maximise the amount of time away.

Unfortunately we can only travel July (3 weeks school holidays) or Dec/Jan and my husband refuses to consider a European winter holiday.

MSC in Australia sell B2B cruises on different ships to allow for longer trips to justify the airfare. They will arrange transfers between Venice and genoa to enable both Western and Eastern cruises on the one trip.

I can understand but am somewhat surprised at some people saying North Americans would prefer 12 day cruises in the med. I always got the impression, perhaps wrongly that paid holidays are much less than in Europe and that shorter cruises were more the norm for US passengers.

"MSC has stated they are going to make some ship alterations the end of next summer to the Divina to 'enhance' her American appeal!"

Sounds to me that the changes will be made ready for the return to Miami and not for the Med cruises, one possible change could be to the Buffet area with an Omelette station added.

Ken ... Hope you guys have a great holiday, not so sure we would like the trip you posted on the Lirica seeing as it is one of the smaller ships in the MSC Fleet.

Any of the Musica class would be good ... :D

"MSC has stated they are going to make some ship alterations the end of next summer to the Divina to 'enhance' her American appeal!"

Sounds to me that the changes will be made ready for the return to Miami and not for the Med cruises, one possible change could be to the Buffet area with an Omelette station added.

Not to mention staff training on how to cook bacon to American standards!

I think that if MSC truly wants to attract the North American cruiser in Europe, they need to expand their Med itineraries apart from the standard seven day commuter circuit with multiple embarcation ports.

I do not know why neither MSC or Costa offer a 12 day Barcelona - Venice (or vice versa), or 12 day round trip Barcelona that Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean have.

I feel that North Americans - if they are going to pay for the airfare to cross the Atlantic will be more apt to do so for a longer cruise - and then tack on a few days before or after.

MSC does that half of the year, and aslo they'll do that with the Splendida in northern Europe next summer. For high demand itineraries they usually offer 7 days cruises

It's understandable since the most part of their customers are European who look for one week cruise vacations, who maybe enjoy another week off in another land based trip. In a high demand scenario I think they are able to charge more per day with 7-night cruises (like most lines in the Caribbean do) than with 12-nighters.

Right now, I would never do 12 nighters since I prefer to make several smaller trips per year and make a better use of my 5 weeks vacation. And I guess most people around here thinks the same way.

I think you're right about the Buffet omelette station!:)

other ideas,,

How about combining the Le Muse YC restaurant with the Top Sail lounge so the pampered can stay inside their little compound!

How about adding some style to the DK 18 Solarium, and making it adult only!

Also making either the covered pool or the Garden pool adult only would be a good idea also!

Elmartellama -I agree - from a European perspective, a seven day cruise makes more sense. Travel within Europe for Europeans is convenient. But from a North American perspective - this may only be a once in a lifetime trip so a longer cruise is justified.