Single Supplements - Have They Risen Lately?

Montreal Marc

I am a loyal X cruiser, taking two or three cruises with them (min 3 weeks) per year.

Just recently, I've noticed that, instead of quoting me 175% of the per person double rate, Celebrity is now quoting a full 200%. In other words, I am paying for two people, even though I travel alone.

I called Celebrity's Customer Service line today to ask them about it, and I was told that this has been the case for at least 3 years.

That does not sound at all correct to me, based on my experiences over that period.

Can anyone else shed any light on this please?

I am a loyal X cruiser, taking two or three cruises with them (min 3 weeks) per year.

Just recently, I've noticed that, instead of quoting me 175% of the per person double rate, Celebrity is now quoting a full 200%. In other words, I am paying for two people, even though I travel alone.

I called Celebrity's Customer Service line today to ask them about it, and I was told that this has been the case for at least 3 years.

That does not sound at all correct to me, based on my experiences over that period.

Can anyone else shed any light on this please?

Hi, I always sail solo and the only time there might be less than 200%?

On the Tuesday Happy Hour Specials......sometimes they have 150%

or 175%. But on a regular basis? It has been double for years and years....

(I have been cruising solo since 2003).....the usual amount is double.

So yes, it is correct.

Edited by Lois R

Ive sailed with Celebrity about 10 times between 2012-13 but in the last 6months+ have not seen a single trip at less than 100% supplement.

I'm currently looking into travel to Caribbean, Baltic, and Alaska and checked transatlantic as well recently. It's my favorite line by far but I have moved to other lines who routinely offers sails of 50% or less supplement. Holland seems to have several sales recently at 50% and Carnival is offering most Caribbean sailings at zero extra.

Edited by aerospace

I have been paying the 200 percent single supplement for many years (since 2006). However the actual price is a little less than 200 percent because they do not charge double for the taxes and port fees (those are based on the person not the cabin.) Only once did I get a single supplement for 150 percent and that was on a Tuesday Special.

Carolyn

I agree with the other posters--I have had to pay double on both solo cruises I have taken with Celebrity--one about 5 years ago and the 2nd one this year. (That has also been the case with cruises on most lines I have traveled, including Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, MSC, and Holland America.)

Yes I noticed earlier this year that they are no longer making an allowance for the port charges before applying the surcharge.

The standard single supplement has been 200% for a while, but now if the two person rate is $1000 a solo passenger will pay $2000. Previously, had the port charges been $200 the solo fare would have been $1800.

Many other cruise lines do this - not that I think that makes it right. It is just a way of getting more money out of a solo cruiser.